Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

O2 drops to 92%, is that bad?
O2 drops to 92%, is that bad?
Sometimes during sleep O2 levels drop from 96% to 92% briefly.

Is that bad ?

Before CPAP it used to fall to 85% and evne less
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: O2 drops to 92%, is that bad?
It's a huge improvement, and frankly nothing to worry about, not in comparison.  You're sssssoooooooooooooooooo much further ahead.  

I believe most all of us, no matter if being treated with PAP therapy of a kind or description or not, have some small deficit of O2 as we sleep.  While waking sats might typically be near 97/98%, sleep sats are lower often.  Less than 92% is going to give us pause because it bespeaks a slight problem in oxygen availability and exchange with CO2.  Maybe it is constriction of passages, maybe a bit of central apnea, congestion....but something is pinching the normal rate.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the shape of your SpO2 graph looks like the bottom of a "V" on the 92%, I wouldn't worry. This could very easily be an artifact from bumping the O2 sensor.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
my brother observed me make noises and move when the o2 drops to 92%

it sometimes drops to 91% but rarely since I started APAP.

Maybe like once every two hours or so or so it drops to 91%

It usually  happens in the first half of the night, in the first 2 to 3 hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Really, it's not so low that it is a problem IF it is short-lived, say 30 seconds or less.  If it persists, gets lower, or happens many times in succession within an hour, it should be investigated and corrected.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am just guessing without seeing any data. Are you sleeping on your back when this occurs?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I slept on my side... I will post data later during the day as soon as I get my laptop.

Thank you so much for helping me out

I have one question since I'm very young and I just got apap like a few days ago.

when I have those "arousals" that make my heart rate spike and my oxygen gets resotred back to normal...

Does it completely destroy my deep sleep stage and I jump right back into stage 1 or rem... OR

I just get back to my deep stage sleep?

Like what does an "arousal" usually do to the sleep stage in which it happens?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have hard evidence to point you to, but I'd be inclined to think an arousal that takes you out of deep sleep means returning to sleep requires a return to the beginning stages of sleep and not back to deep sleep. It has so to speak reset the sleep stage clock as I think sleep stages require a certain amount of time before the next progressive stage.

On the oxygen numbers, I can have 92% while awake for minutes at time. However, I'd need to have a recorded less than 89% for 5 minutes to be placed on oxygen. 92% while asleep and for brief periods though is considered normal as I understand it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 828 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,060 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Movement and spO2 drops newtothis123 3 440 10-06-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Old Mike
  How's my Oscar looking? Plus SpO2 drops Peter1 3 568 07-26-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  SPO2 drops during treatment dwedward 10 1,374 11-25-2022, 08:42 AM
Last Post: withtao
  What could be causing my SPO2 drops? (OSCAR attached) YouTakeMyBreathAway 13 1,418 10-19-2022, 04:53 PM
Last Post: B1Sailor
  Oxygen drops despite steady Minute Vent YouTakeMyBreathAway 0 466 08-19-2022, 12:30 PM
Last Post: YouTakeMyBreathAway

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.