Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apneas happen but Pressure stays low. Why?
Apneas happen but Pressure stays low. Why?
I used to have less obstructives and less centrals with min pressure at 6.5 and max at 20.

Now I increased the pressure to 8 and 20.

And then...

More apneas, hypopneas, more centrals and some "periodic" breathing.

Does anyone know why?

Please help me out...

If there are obstructive apneas, then why the hell this machien won't pump up the pressure to above 10 right away and get rid of those?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apneas happen but Pressure stays low. Why?
Help me? Anyone? Please...
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board!
If you would reorder your chart, following the Organizing your Chart link in my signature line.  Please eliminate the Calendar as this will allow us to see more of the statistics.

Also, could you give us a little more information?  How long have you been using this machine?  
And for comparison, post a graph with the minimum setting of 6cm compared to the minimum pressure of 8cm.
This way, we can see the complete picture and be better able to advise.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to AB

CPAP machines respond after an event occurs to raise pressure. PR Machines respond to snores as a predictive event and raise pressure. They also don't raise pressure as fast as other brands thus the need for a higher starting pressure to get ahead of the game.

Why, in part because you increased the efficiency of your breathing. This set off your centrals in part because you are likely breathing harder resulting in more flex which is washing out more CO2 resulting in your CO2 dropping below your apneic threshold causing Central Apneas.

Turn flex off to help
I would like to know how persistent your chin tucking is, the clustering of obstructive events, before I recommend a soft cervical collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
What I see is that most events are obstructive and occur in clusters. This is a hallmark of chin tucking or what we refer to as positional apnea. Your pressure looks fine, and of course it rises faster when your airway becomes obstructed due to chin tucking. It's pretty easy to pick out these periods. You may have changed a pillow or something else that affects your sleep position, or it may just be something that is happening. The problem is easily fixed. Please read the following wiki articles:
Positional Apnea: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft Cervical Coller http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you sooo much!!

I have a question.

This face mask gave me rash around my mouth....

What about the nasal mask?

When I put it on, all it does it blows air out of my mouth... 
I am not sure what is here to be done?! I breathe through my mouth?

How is it suppsed to work
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are going to be successful with a nasal or nasal pillows mask, you will need to stop breathing through your mouth. There's the tongue suck trick to place and keep your tongue in its natural mouth seal position. There's also use of a chin strap to help keep the mouth in a closed position if that applies. Some also tape the mouth shut.

However, if you naturally default to mouth breathing, I don't see much success with those methods. It may be possible you will have to stay with a full face mask. I don't know that as a fact, but it is a possible scenario you may have to face. I fall into that category. I tried using nasal and pillows masks, and was not very successful.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand... Thank you so much for this reply

I will see what I can do

So scared, anxious, this apnea gave me depresison, panic attacks... It slowed my memory and thinking, I felt so tired and yawn all day long. 

I went to a pizza with a friend, came back collapsed on my doorstep. My heart rate increased and I swear as if I ran 100 miles Sad

Thank you sooo much! I will keep posting my results and will try to make this work
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you so much...
I will psot more results, will try to make this right
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be that you will eventually settle on another style of mask, but it could be that you will still find air blasting out of your mouth.  I am such a person.  I use an N20 mask and must tape my mouth (see my signature below).  For me, it is simply a fact of my PAP therapy.  Some learn the 'tongue suck' technique, others never do.  Some find relief with a chin strap, some do not.  I tape, and it has been wonderful.  I use 3M Corp's NexCare 'water resistant' white tape that is 2.4 cm wide.  I don't know if it is sold in Europe.

For skin rashes, look for 'Barriere Cream' or a similar product.  Or look for a cloth fitting to cover your cushion.  I can't provide more information, but others hopefully will.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,573 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,081 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 1,010 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 390 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 316 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,394 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 314 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.