Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

O2 levels look good but still waking up every 2hrs
O2 levels look good but still waking up every 2hrs
Stats: 5'8" 155lbs Male Age 36

AHI: 6 on my side, 10 on my back.

Initial Sleep Study: The sleep study report shows I basically have no apnea events during the majority of sleep but I have almost a 26-30AHI during REM. The pulmonologist told me basically that is my throat/tongue muscles relaxing and blocking my airway. So I need something to keep it open during that time. I tried using CPAP with the auto (setting was 4-10cmH2O) but it wasn't providing enough reaction time and I would still have an episode and would constantly wake up every 2 hours.

Second Sleep Study - Titration of CPAP: When I had the titration they spent the first half of the night dialing in the pressure so I still woke up at 2am. I popped some melatonin and then slept the rest of the study as they dialed in the right setting! 10cmH2O was the setting. I was completely refreshed the next morning, and had uninterrupted sleep for maybe 4-5hrs. I want to get those results at home. They gave me the same mask that they used in the study but I don't use that because it's uncomfortable at home and I rip it off my face. I am using a mask that covers my entire nose now and trying it out. The final sleep study recommended a pressure setting of 9cmH2O with a flex of 2.

I also was able to acquire a MAD device from a dentist. As I gradually moved it forward, I did have one night with just the MAD + breathe right strips providing 5hrs 30min of straight sleep! It was amazing! However, the dentist adjusted the device to correct for my bite and I have not been able to reproduce the results as I wake up after 2hrs. So I am concurrently trying CPAP as well if I wake up in the night from the MAD I try to go back to the CPAP.

Last night I decided to combine my MAD with CPAP and the O2 readings were even better above 92% no dips. However, I still kept waking up every 1.5 - 2hrs even though the O2 readings were good. What advice do you have? I did have vivid dreams as well last night right before waking up each time.

My guess is I am still having apnea events even though my O2 readings are not dropping, and that is causing me to wake up? I have a Philips Dreamstation 2 but that is not compatible with OSCAR. So I just have put in an order for an Airsense 10 to get the data from the device and bought an SD card.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: O2 levels look good but still waking up every 2hrs
Welcome to the board. We really can’t say much without data. As you say your oxygen is fine and would not be the reason for waking up. The data we need is supplied from OSCAR. It is totally free at the top of the site.

Please see my post about chart organization in my signature. It also gives direction on OSCAR.

You will need a SD card in your pap machine while you sleep. If not it will only give summery information. You also need a SD reader on your computer.

There are many YouTube videos you can look at.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
If you get an SD card be sure the capacity is no greater than 32GB. Higher capacity cards won't work. You don't need much. 8GB will hold many years worth of data.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Okay thanks in advance. I slept with two different masks last night, the first half of the night I used a full face F&P mask. The second half of the night I used a Philips Wisp mask.

Looks like the full face is significantly better for me than the philips wisp because of all of the leaks! My AHI also spikes with the philips wisp mask. But it's definitely not very comfortable to wear the full face mask. 

Why do you think I still woke up after wearing the full face mask for 2.5hrs? Do I need to just adjust to it? My AHI looks pretty good with that mask, as well as my O2 readings with my wellue O2 ring.

Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone?

My "clear airway" events looks high so I'm going to turn off EPR.

Also I will use the full face mask that seemed to show the best results, although I did wake up maybe I need to get used to it. It looks like I changed position or had some slight movement according to my oura ring right before I woke up.

Also it looked like I had a ALOT of clear airway events with the wisp mask. But only a few with the full face mask. Which leads me to believe maybe it's not a central event but something else?

I had very low obstructive events which is good. Let's give it a shot again tonight!
Post Reply Post Reply
Due to the level of the Central Apnea (CA), I think you may want to try backing down min pressure from 10 to 7 for a night. I know it's not going to build a trend, but let's see if CA will respond by getting lower. Make sure not to use Ramp in any way. If you do, CA will likely increase. I'm debating about the EPR, you may need to turn that off or lower the number.

Secondly, did you get your diagnostic and Titration detailed results yet? You need these copies for your personal file and you can post redacted copies here. I'm looking to see the events chart on the first study to see what the CA were there.

As for why you wake question. Central Apnea this high will be a pretty good answer.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I did the titration, they recommended 9cmH2O. I will adjust to 9cmH2O tonight, and change from APAP to CPAP.

Attached are my initial sleep study results. Thank you for your help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Terrible sleep study data. You have 26 arousals per hour that are unexplained. They did not seem to score RERAs. You barely got any deep sleep only one REM cycle that is severely fragmented.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2022, 09:57 AM)selfcoacher Wrote: Terrible sleep study data.  You have 26 arousals per hour that are unexplained.  They did not seem to score RERAs.  You barely got any deep sleep only one REM cycle that is severely fragmented.

Hmmm what do you think I should do? That was the BEST I have felt in a long time after being titrated at 9cm h2o. I have not been able to reproduce as good sleep as that again :/ even though you think it's horrible.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get sleep study with Dr Jerald H Simmons, start using CPAP with actual data that can be imported in Oscar.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,601 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 283 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 674 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.