Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

O2/oximeter monitors
O2/oximeter monitors
Happy New Year

I have a Contec CMS-50F pulse oximeter that works but finger probe is uncomfortable and occasionally shifts during the night making readings unreliable.

Supplier # 1 hasa new wrist fitness tracker, Garmin Vivosmart 4, that includes a wrist Oximeter.  This is one of recent wrist Oxymonitors.

Does anyone have any experience, feedback, or recommendation on an accurate ox monitor that does not use a finger probe?

I have been seeing some indications in my Sleepyhead Flow Rate that I need to try and understand and need to see what my O2 levels are during these periods/events.

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: O2/oximeter monitors
I have no experience with that model, but there are these useful bits of info at Amperor Direct.

My guess is that it won't be nearly as accurate as the finger probe (typically ±2% at near full saturation) detecting from the wrist like that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2019, 11:53 AM)CZOscar Wrote: Happy New Year

I have a Contec CMS-50F pulse oximeter that works but finger probe is uncomfortable and occasionally shifts during the night making readings unreliable.

Supplier # 1 hasa new wrist fitness tracker, Garmin Vivosmart 4, that includes a wrist Oximeter.  This is one of recent wrist Oxymonitors.

I have the Vivosmart 4. It is utterly inferior as an oxymeter, both for spot readings and for overnight readings.

The Vivosmart must be kept completely still to take a pulse ox reading. Even walking holding your arm still or being the passenger in a moving car is too much motion. And it takes a full 30 seconds to get a reading. Move during that time and you have to start over.

The overnight recording feature only records 4 hours a night - presumably to save battery life. And it only records once every minute. Plus the readings depend on the tightness of the band, so just as the finger sensor of the Contec can affect readings, the Vivosmart often drops readings.

I don't have another oxymeter to compare readings to, so I can't say how the readings would compare or if the readings are accurate (though I'm pretty sure it is wrong when it gives readings of 100%), but I have not found the vivosmart 4 to be useful in tracking my sleep apnea. But it is small and makes an ok step tracker - but so does my phone which has GPS and I always have it with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both - very helpful
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that wrapping a piece of tape around the cord and your finger, where the cord comes out of the finger probe, helps calm a lot of the movement during sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dan - will give it a try
Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone responded? did you try the fitness tracker? I am looking at them for sleep, oxygen, BP etc with data.
Seems like those with the Contec are satisfied and not  re evaluating.
Post Reply Post Reply
My contec was to the point of needing replacement. Resmed makes a kit for about $900.00 which is expensive but in hooks up to your cpap directly and is automatically down loaded into Oscar. Pretty easy. between ebay and Supplier #19 I was able to get a used set up for about $350.00. The owner of supplier # 19 is very helpful. I think his name is Ken or Kevin. This set up is only for sleeping, it is not a mobile device. Because of the condition of my lungs this was the best way to go for me.

Car54
Post Reply Post Reply
Amazon sells Trendmedic CheckmeO2. 

Wellue O2Ring™, which is ring.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2020, 11:16 AM)unidee Wrote: Amazon sells Trendmedic CheckmeO2. 

Not in the U.S.A.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,223 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 92 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 204 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 675 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Sleep apnea monitors without cPAP LVH115 14 959 01-17-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is there a pulse oximeter that bluetooths to the Air11? cathyf 2 809 12-19-2023, 01:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.