Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My future friend OSCAR
My future friend OSCAR
Hello,

I have a few (probably dumb) OSCAR questions that do not appear to be answered in the documentation, at least in my very very sleep deprived investigative state.

#1) Can OSCAR differentiate between one's being awake and asleep? It can take 4+ hours of constant O2 desaturation events and gasps for me to fall asleep. If it cannot seperate or sort sleep/non-sleep, is there a way to post-edit out the data from when you know you have been awake? Otherwise, I would expect that the results would be skewed.

#2) Can the readings from OSCAR in any way hint at or help to indicate the type of apnea (OSA, CSA, etc.) being experienced? I thought I read somewhere that is possibly can.

#3) what type, speed, and size of SD card is recommended (8gb, 16gb, 32gb, etc.) for best results?

Thank you to the community!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My future friend OSCAR
1) OSCAR displays the information that the machine reports; since the machine can't tell awake from asleep, OSCAR can't report it. OSCAR cannot edit the data in a sleep session. It can delete an entire sleep session, and then recalculate the night's statistics. This is mostly used for short sessions when you know you didn't fall asleep. If you take a while to fall asleep, and fall asleep without stopping and restarting the CPAP, you cannot edit out the awake portion. This prevents somebody from altering their data to meet some legal requirement relating to sleep.

2) The machine, and therefore OSCAR flags each type of apnea.

3) Any size SD card from 2 GB to 32 GB, formatted to FAT32, can be used. A 2 GB card will hold at least a years worth of data.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will try and answer your questions by the numbers.
  1. No, OSCAR only displays the data that your CPAP records.  It is up to the viewer of the data to try and determine the states of consciousness.

2. Yes.  Again, the reader of the data must be the one to determine the signs.  However, most CPAP do a good job of determining the type of event.  

3. Any standard SD card 2 to 32 GB in size will work.  A new SD card comes preformatted as a FAT32. No further action is needed.

You list a Resmed in your profile, but that covers a multitude of CPAP models.  Please update your profile to reflect the model number and the type. Also, some models have limited data capability. This is why it helps o list the one you have.

Here is a link to help identify which one you have:
https://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine-...ine-resmed

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent information Pholynyk. Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
...and thank you Crimson Nape! It is a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset. Will update the profile now. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Future dates and/or date range flipmike 1 125 04-07-2024, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR future dated data post import flitter 0 590 07-28-2020, 05:13 AM
Last Post: flitter
Arrow Apnea Software Talk group now forming [for future dev discussion] SuperSleeper 17 4,776 02-17-2019, 10:27 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.