Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

O2ring Motion Detection?
O2ring Motion Detection?
I have been using the O2ring nightly for a month. I've looked here and elsewhere and can find no explanation of the particular value of the reported "Motion Detection". Can anyone help with this?
Motion spikes are occasionally correlated with changes in pulse and SpO2 but not always.
I assume that the O2ring records movement of my hand/finger in the night if I roll over, move around, etc. but so what???
My O2 score has never been below 9.0 and usually is between 9.4 and 9.8.
ODI 3% varies from 1.0/hr to 2.9/hr
ODI 4% varies from 0.3/hr to 0.7/hr
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: O2ring Motion Detection?
I know what you mean. I just figured that it was the number of recorded movements. The higher the number, the more restless you were. I haven't found any good reason to use it for anything, though.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2022, 11:38 AM)"Crimson Nape Wrote:  I haven't found any good reason to use it for anything, though.- Red "

From Windswell
When looking at significant O2 drop events I happened to notice a possible correlation with O2 motion detection. The following happens in almost all cases when my O2 drops > 4% and into a zone of concern (80's??) .
First, my hand moves enough to trigger movement which I'm guessing is more than 4 seconds.
A minute or 2 later, my pulse jumps up a lot.
About 3-5 minutes after pulse jump, my O2 dives down.

In 43 days of O2 ring scoring, there has NEVER been significant hand movement, then a big pulse jump, without a correlating "big" O2 drop. This may all mean nothing. Thinking-about

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
For me, the motion detection is useful to explain big O2 drops that are due only to my movement (as opposed to not breathing so much). Also I can see when I went to toilet etc. and how (surprisingly) quickly I (usually) get back to sleep afterwards, often in fact to a deeper level. So it helps me record my sleep quality - useful as I am trying to determine the factors that cause me bad headaches and energy/mood drops. I incorporate its charts (phone screen captures) in my daily health journal (also on the phone).

BTW: if you learn what to look for, you can - in conjunction with recognising the short-term (minutes) O2 variation signatures, recognise your REM sleep stages, which also make temporary O2 drops. For me that is plain interesting to see and also I know to disregard those drops (might not be the case for other people, whose situations might be different to mine).

I think the device has motion detection sensors (accelerometers) in the first place so that it can tell when its measurements are likely to be less accurate (during motion), and allow for that somehow (e.g. filter or smooth out obvious glitches, but I don't know for sure).
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2023, 10:15 AM)DavidEsp Wrote: BTW: if you learn what to look for, you can - in conjunction with recognising the short-term (minutes) O2 variation signatures, recognise your REM sleep stages, which also make temporary O2 drops.  For me that is plain interesting to see and also I know to disregard those drops (might not be the case for other people, whose situations might be different to mine).  
Hello DavidEsp.

I am VERY interested in how you go about recognizing REM sleep stages.  Lack of REM sleep is a huge issue for me.  I just recently started using the Wellue 02 ring.  Do you have any suggestions on how I go about deciphering which part of my sleep is REM based off the readings from the Wellue?
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 42 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,623 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  o2ring not detected by PC goku 10 3,299 12-15-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  [split] Wellue O2Ring Questions NelsonM 4 541 07-05-2023, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] O2Ring timestamps garyhibb 6 715 04-13-2023, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Best way to wear finger/ring oximeter (eg O2Ring) DavidEsp 7 1,270 04-09-2023, 03:28 PM
Last Post: ferrus
  Flow rate and leak detection KC2684 2 399 04-07-2023, 02:35 PM
Last Post: KC2684

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.