Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OA or CA from graph without flags
Without the flags in Sleepyhead, is there any to differentiate between an OA and a CA based on the graphs?I thought that I had it doped out but my theory does not seem to hold. I thought that the mask pressure squiggles from the FOT might be sharper for OA and less distinct for CA. Does not seem like that holds up.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2014, 10:21 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Without the flags in Sleepyhead, is there any to differentiate between an OA and a CA based on the graphs?I thought that I had it doped out but my theory does not seem to hold. I thought that the mask pressure squiggles from the FOT might be sharper for OA and less distinct for CA. Does not seem like that holds up.

Hi PaytoA,

Zooming in on the Flow (not the High Rate Pressure), I would expect the FOT to cause less Flow during obstructive apnea events than during CA events. Temporarily changing the vertical scale on the Flow to -20 to +20 Liter/minute may be helpful to see this.

I don't know what other indication there would be to differentiate CA from OA.

However, if there is rapidly-varying Leak, this can cause false CA flags. If the machine does not sense the end of inhalation or exhalation within 10 seconds, it would score an apnea, and, occasionally, constantly increasing or decreasing Leak will make the Flow look always positive or always negative for over 10 seconds, resulting in a CA or in an Unknown type apnea being scored.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
Post Reply Post Reply
Normally, I can see flow limitation before an OA scored but not always, some OA can just occur without any warning

CA not associated with flow limitation or pressure increase
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Malfunctioning Sleepyhead Graph bonesmurones 4 207 06-11-2017, 08:36 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Mask fit & sleepyhead graph Cuppa 6 281 04-05-2017, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Cuppa
  Flow Rate Graph Resizing nadprok 2 312 01-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Last Post: nadprok
  Oximeter Normal Graph shermantank45 14 1,103 11-03-2016, 06:00 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Leakage graph double line Aussie Paul 5 626 09-10-2016, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Aussie Paul
Question Graph interpreters.... do your worst! shawn42 11 1,102 06-25-2016, 07:51 PM
Last Post: shawn42
  Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph nadprok 15 1,694 06-20-2016, 06:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider