OK Has anyone seen any reaction to humidity??
Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

Sex: Male

RE: OK Has anyone seen any reaction to humidity??
Ive run my Prs1 Auto aflex on system one humidity mode without the heated hose turned on from 1 to 5. No difference.

Now running it in heated hose mode on setting of 3 which is highest in that mode. Puts more humidity out than the other mode but I cant tell a difference in the numbers. If stuffed up or have a cold I max the humidity out. If not I drop it a notch or two. Other than comfort cant see a difference in AHI. I do have mild COPD but doesnt seem to bother me either way.

But I didnt know I was getting less O2 the higher the humidity is set. Never felt any difference. Live and learn I reckon LOL.
11-14-2014 02:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
woozie38 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Fisher & Paykel Icon + Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Integral
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: 17 years of CPAP + supp. oxygen @ 3 L/min

(11-14-2014 02:03 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote:  But I didnt know I was getting less O2 the higher the humidity is set. Never felt any difference. Live and learn I reckon LOL.
That relative humidity changes the density of the air therefore reducing the amount of oxygen available, doesn't really affect us since we breather only a minute amount of the air actually supplied by our machines. O2 is around 20% of the atmosphere, so I don't think there is any cause to worry. Our lungs only absorb a small amount of the oxygen in the air we breathe in anyway. There is still enough O2 in our expired air to resuscitate a casualty.
The question of the need for humidity is a vexed one indeed. For instance, when living in Roma Qld. Relative humidity 6% I didn't even use the humidifier. At the time I was doing ok without. The nasal tissue did dry & crack a bit, but my system soon compensated for that & all was well. I began using humidity six years later when we moved to Toowoomba & I got a new S8. So whether or not we need humidity is unclear. Somebody on the forum is bound to provide further info on this subject.

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
11-14-2014 03:09 AM
Paralel Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto with A-flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: Respironics PR System One 60 Series Humidifier with Heated Tube
CPAP Pressure: 10-13
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(11-14-2014 02:03 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote:  Ive run my Prs1 Auto aflex on system one humidity mode without the heated hose turned on from 1 to 5. No difference.

Now running it in heated hose mode on setting of 3 which is highest in that mode. Puts more humidity out than the other mode but I cant tell a difference in the numbers. If stuffed up or have a cold I max the humidity out. If not I drop it a notch or two. Other than comfort cant see a difference in AHI. I do have mild COPD but doesnt seem to bother me either way.

But I didnt know I was getting less O2 the higher the humidity is set. Never felt any difference. Live and learn I reckon LOL.

The highest setting in heated hose mode for the PRS1 is 5, not 3
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 03:38 PM by Paralel.)
11-14-2014 03:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question Change Humidity Level Seasonally txpap 9 519 11-21-2016 06:58 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  pressure vs EPR vs hypopnea vs humidity vs congestion Rick76599 6 405 10-15-2016 06:08 PM
Last Post: Rick76599
  Has anyone developed a cough from humidity being set too low? NickNick 7 562 09-13-2016 04:31 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
  (Another Newbie) Mask Humidity janeaverage 4 466 09-11-2016 07:20 PM
Last Post: JudgeMental
  Humidity button gone chuck6161 5 338 07-31-2016 08:41 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Please help! Humidity/Rainout questions pitt412 10 715 07-28-2016 03:35 PM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes
  System One Humidity Too much or Too little chriswhite 2 423 06-16-2016 04:59 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred