Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OK Has anyone seen any reaction to humidity??

I am not sure yet BUT for the past week I was trying to help my dry mouth with high settings on my humidifier And I have been getting several events each night…

The other morning after one such event I seemed to feel the humid air was a little hard to breath so I turned it off and sleep another two hours with no problems.

Last night I set it for 2 and again had no problems all 8 hours long.

First night with no problems in a week.

Rich

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OK Has anyone seen any reaction to humidity??
There is less oxygen per unit volume of air when the humidity is higher and it will bother folks with any form of COPD. I don't assume you fit that category but mention it for what it's worth.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2014, 11:03 AM)racprops Wrote: Last night I set it for 2 and again had no problems all 8 hours long.

First night with no problems in a week.

Rich
Congrats

I like mid range, some like higher while some like lower and some like none
Everyone is different

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2014, 11:03 AM)racprops Wrote: OK Has anyone seen any reaction to humidity??
I am not sure yet BUT for the past week I was trying to help my dry mouth with high settings on my humidifier And I have been getting several events each night…
Rich
Rich, it's been my experience that you can't treat dry mouth by increasing your humidity setting. Reason being dry mouth is caused by air escaping from your mouth, not coming in. Dry mouth seems to go with NP masks for some people. The answer is to prevent air escaping orally. This raises the issue of safety since NP's don't have an anti-suffocation valve to protect you in the case of power failure. You could always do what I did - change to a FFM.
Best of luck
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2014, 03:50 PM)woozie38 Wrote: The answer is to prevent air escaping orally. This raises the issue of safety since NP's don't have an anti-suffocation valve to protect you in the case of power failure. You could always do what I did - change to a FFM.

When you wear a nasal mask your mouth is the anti asphyxia valve. That's why you see them only on full face masks.

Some people find full face masks comfortable and leak proof. Others do not, which is why we don't wear them. Personally, I can't get a nasal mask to seal properly, which is why I use a nasal pillows mask. It would be nice for me to have a hybrid mask that consists of nasal pillows and another part that goes inside my mouth.

I want someone to invent something like a mouthpiece with an anti asphyxia valve to use with my nasal pillows mask. I'd be in better shape. Right now, despite keeping my chin strap cinched up, I have significant periods of large leak through my mouth.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies.

Nice to know I am not crazy....well not too much anyway.

I am using a FFM...

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2014, 11:10 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: There is less oxygen per unit volume of air when the humidity is higher and it will bother folks with any form of COPD. I don't assume you fit that category but mention it for what it's worth.

Got a question for you surferdude. First a fact. Humidity is the amount of moisture in the form of water that is dissolved in the air.

Question: When you dissolve salt in water, does the volume of water increase??

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Humidity is a trial and error thing. It makes some people more comfortable. Some people find it causes various problems such as more congestion or discomfort.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2014, 09:53 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Got a question for you surferdude. First a fact. Humidity is the amount of moisture in the form of water that is dissolved in the air.

Question: When you dissolve salt in water, does the volume of water increase??

No, it actually decreases. Hard to believe isn't it. Chemistry can be so confusing. Big Grin

ps. I just heard about a man who can make diamonds using peer pressure alone!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
If I set my machine on 5 humidity instead of 3, it literally doubles my number of events overnight
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 155 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] DreamStation Humidity Issue bry248 14 9,160 01-20-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: jimbob123
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 372 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 2,996 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense11 - How to increase humidity BlueSky1958 8 672 10-22-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  Desperate for Humidity level help please luigi28me 4 649 09-24-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Health] Negative/Adverse Reaction to BiPAP Need Help zuriaki 21 1,460 09-18-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.