Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OK Has anyone seen any reaction to humidity??
RE: OK Has anyone seen any reaction to humidity??
Ive run my Prs1 Auto aflex on system one humidity mode without the heated hose turned on from 1 to 5. No difference.

Now running it in heated hose mode on setting of 3 which is highest in that mode. Puts more humidity out than the other mode but I cant tell a difference in the numbers. If stuffed up or have a cold I max the humidity out. If not I drop it a notch or two. Other than comfort cant see a difference in AHI. I do have mild COPD but doesnt seem to bother me either way.

But I didnt know I was getting less O2 the higher the humidity is set. Never felt any difference. Live and learn I reckon LOL.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2014, 02:03 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: But I didnt know I was getting less O2 the higher the humidity is set. Never felt any difference. Live and learn I reckon LOL.
That relative humidity changes the density of the air therefore reducing the amount of oxygen available, doesn't really affect us since we breather only a minute amount of the air actually supplied by our machines. O2 is around 20% of the atmosphere, so I don't think there is any cause to worry. Our lungs only absorb a small amount of the oxygen in the air we breathe in anyway. There is still enough O2 in our expired air to resuscitate a casualty.
The question of the need for humidity is a vexed one indeed. For instance, when living in Roma Qld. Relative humidity 6% I didn't even use the humidifier. At the time I was doing ok without. The nasal tissue did dry & crack a bit, but my system soon compensated for that & all was well. I began using humidity six years later when we moved to Toowoomba & I got a new S8. So whether or not we need humidity is unclear. Somebody on the forum is bound to provide further info on this subject.

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2014, 02:03 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Ive run my Prs1 Auto aflex on system one humidity mode without the heated hose turned on from 1 to 5. No difference.

Now running it in heated hose mode on setting of 3 which is highest in that mode. Puts more humidity out than the other mode but I cant tell a difference in the numbers. If stuffed up or have a cold I max the humidity out. If not I drop it a notch or two. Other than comfort cant see a difference in AHI. I do have mild COPD but doesnt seem to bother me either way.

But I didnt know I was getting less O2 the higher the humidity is set. Never felt any difference. Live and learn I reckon LOL.

The highest setting in heated hose mode for the PRS1 is 5, not 3

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 172 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 286 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Dreamstation 2 humidity controls Lesgreen 3 116 04-11-2024, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Lesgreen
  [CPAP] new AirCurve 10 does not give enough humidity FHTC 8 143 04-09-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] DreamStation Humidity Issue bry248 14 9,257 01-20-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: jimbob123
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 404 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 3,259 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.