Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OK to Skip CPAP for a couple nights?
OK to Skip CPAP for a couple nights?
I would like to go on a 3 day/2 night offshore fishing trip but there are no provisions in the sleeping quarters for my CPAP unit. Other that possibly not having a good night of sleep/rest are there any significant risks?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OK to Skip CPAP for a couple nights?
you'll just be like you were before, and keep people up with your snoring and gasping.

there are 12v solutions out there, including an inverter to run off the boats batteries.
Post Reply Post Reply
ttexan, you may want to try sleep on your side as much as possible or using extra pillows to prop yourself up more
Post Reply Post Reply
Snoring and bad or no sleep.

There's probably an increased chance of heart attack or stroke on those nights. Maybe not that high a risk for a few nights, but the chance is there.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I look at my CPAP as a medication. Would I go without a medication for 3 nights? Nope.

But then I'm not you. And you aren't me.

But I can almost guarantee that you will feel awful during your trip. And you will come back exhausted. And your shipmates may want to toss you overboard.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
There have been several posts of individuals that have gone without their CPAP for a night or two and report how awful they felt and say they would not do it again. It appeared to be an eye opener for them to realize how much the CPAP has really been helping and healing the body. That has been incentive for me to avoid it when I have considered for convenience purposes to go without CPAP on mini trips. I hope you can find a solution. I have not been faced with wanting to do something or go somewhere that isn't conducive for CPAP.

I do get annoyed with some hotel rooms that don't provide easily accessible outlets in the vicinity of the bed. I keep extension cord and power strip with my equipment and even a plug adapter.

Good Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
...all of the above, AND there is a very real possibility you could scare the fish.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no problem going without CPAP for a period equal to how long you can hold your breath.

Depending on your untreated AHI. If AHI is 30 with an average duration of 20 seconds, that is 10 minutes out of every hour that you are not breathing. My untreated AHI was 84. That is about 28 minutes out of every hour that I was not breathing. If you have no problem holding your breath for 10-30 minutes, then don't bother with your CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
No one can tell you if your right on the edge of a heart attack or stroke. Normal conditions you will just be tired, but enough episodes could push you over that edge into waking up dead. And no one wants to give that advice. I would see if there is DC power available and adapt. Maybe take a team of gerbils and generator wheel?
Good luck, breathing and fishing.
Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
The other day had to stay overnight at the hospital for angiogram the following morning which was not planned. I could not sleep all night and had a massive headache (thanks God, was not a massive heart attack) in the morning and felt terrible, never felt like that since started CPAP, that was the norm pre-CPAP days

I've learned two things
1- Never leave home without CPAP, always have spare machine, hose, and mask in the boot of the car for the unexpected
2- Never spend any more nights without my beloved for whatever reason, next time might be the hospital stay for more than just angiogram
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 53 938 Yesterday, 01:40 PM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 216 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 453 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 683 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 583 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 454 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.