Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask replacement
Mask replacement
How often do you typically have to replace the mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask replacement
Some masks are more durable than others, and it also depends on how well you keep up with mask cleaning. I have been getting about 2 years from the frame, about 9 months from the mask cushion, and about a year from the headgear. A lot of people don't get anywhere this long, and some replace it whenever their insurance allows it. A few people can get several years out of a mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think, if Resmed depend on people like me to change their masks as soon as they come up with a new mask, they go out of business

clean the frame and take care of it, can last a long time
cushion replacement about 6 months and a year for the straps
I pay for everything out of pocket and local prices are unbelievable too pricey

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! That's what I thought. I got an email from my supplier today saying it's already time to replace my mask. I picked up my APAP on October 28th, and I'm on a 3rd mask as my dr let me try a couple after the first 2 were not good fits. Even if I was on my first mask, it seemed way to soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your insurance pays for it (or if they don't and you can afford it), go ahead and get the mask whether you need it or not. I would also get another hose and eventually another humidifier tank - just to have a spare on hand in the event one of the them breaks. You can usually get a good quality hose from most of the suppliers on the list for around 15-20 including shipping.

I just got my quarterly order reminder from my DME and just emailed in my request. My mask and headgear come as a unit and in a factory sealed package. It stays that way until I use it. I have a sealed mask in my closet which will I will put into use when the new one comes.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
Many insurance policies will reimburse for a new cushion/seal every 30 days and the whole mask every 90 days (headgear every 180 days) Literally the chemical composition of your facial skin oils can play a big factor in the longevity of your cushion, as well as the soap you use of course. Even how tight you have to keep your mask on your face will influence its longevity.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with all the above.

I use nasal pillows and wash them in a natural "bee" related baby wash/shampoo. Like the very light smell (I have asthma) and the lack of harsh chemicals.

A friend of mine told me she puts hers in the dishwasher - I suggested a gentler washing routine...
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
My tank will go in the dishwater (top rack) if I have needed to use vinegar to get rid of calcium buildups. We don't use the dry function on the dishwater so heat is not an issue. Normally, I hand wash everything, especially the mask. Take it in the shower with me and do it there. Kill two birds with one stone.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,031 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,815 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 201 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,122 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,892 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem DMAllen 18 5,794 02-25-2024, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Neo2020
  [Equipment] BiPAP Replacement Recommendation Prowler 1 263 01-28-2024, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.