Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OK to run near the top end all the time?
OK to run near the top end all the time?
I have an APAP and it's set for 15-20. It hangs around 16 quite a bit and now and then jumps up to ~17

AFAIK, it's never topped out at 20, which is the machine's max.

Is the machine OK running near the top end most of the time or should I ask the doc to order me a bilevel with a higher upper limit when I go in next time?

It seems happy enough. Just wondering.

Also, are the bilevels noisier/quieter or about the same as the APAPs at the same pressure?

Terry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OK to run near the top end all the time?
since your auto never jumps over 17, and only does that on occasion (with leaks???) APAP is likely sufficient unless you are having comfort issues where some pressure relief would be helpful. Do you run Aflex? love it, hate it....?
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 02:11 PM)DariaVader Wrote: since your auto never jumps over 17, and only does that on occasion (with leaks???) APAP is likely sufficient unless you are having comfort issues where some pressure relief would be helpful. Do you run Aflex? love it, hate it....?

Not much leaking. I finally have everything all tuned and adjusted. I look like Frankenstein's monster, but it all works. 8-)

I'm running c-flex on "2" although it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference for me whether it's on 1,2 or 3. Thecurve is kind of weird, I have to consciously exhale to get any perceptable pressure reduction. Normally, it's not noticeable.

I'm actually very happy with almost everything. I go to sleep, then wake up naturally when the neighbors slam their car door at 6am 8-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Terry, you should be fine unless you've noticed a pattern of overall increase. Bipaps are so much more expensive that it doesn't really pay to get it unless you are pretty certain you will have a need.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, but BiPAPs are so much more comfortable when your therapy pressure is high.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
expensive or not - for the patient anyway - depends on coverage. mine is 100% for DME. Mind you I pay dearly in pretax dollars for that... but not having to worry about this - or any of the other bank breaking medical needs between me and the spousal unit make it a fairly even trade, minus the aggravation

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 01:57 PM)Terry Wrote: Is the machine OK running near the top end most of the time or should I ask the doc to order me a bilevel with a higher upper limit when I go in next time?
Bilevel aside, if my autoset reaching the maximum, doesn't mean I need to raise the maximum pressure further because the autoset react to every bit of snoring and flow limitation with pressure increase and that can cause all sort of problems ... leaks, disturb sleep, swallowing air and nose irritation. In my book, less is more ... YMMV

Post Reply Post Reply
bottom line, i think is that at your pressure, many prefer the comfort of pressure relief. If your treatment is tolerable - and even comfortable for you, then why bother? but if you think it could be better and you can afford it, then why not.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 05:58 PM)DariaVader Wrote: bottom line, i think is that at your pressure, many prefer the comfort of pressure relief. If your treatment is tolerable - and even comfortable for you, then why bother? but if you think it could be better and you can afford it, then why not.

I'm fine. I was wondering about the machine.

Wasn't sure if it was designed to run almost wide open all the time. Lots of hardware can't handle that.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 03:55 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Yes, but BiPAPs are so much more comfortable when your therapy pressure is high.

Why is that?
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 200 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 608 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 243 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 169 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 801 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,214 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.