Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OK to turn off heat and humifier on AirSense 10?
OK to turn off heat and humifier on AirSense 10?
I just got my Resmed AirSense 10 a couple days ago and am still struggling to get comfortable with it. I feel like I'm drowning/suffocating/overheating and my nose is wet around the nasal pillows even on the lowest setting of the humidifier (setting at 1) and low temp setting (68). So I'm going to try turning off the heat and humidifier completely tonight. The tubing is heated also but there doesn't seem to be a way to turn that off separaately. I'm just surprised to have so much moisture in my nose with such a low setting on the humidifier. So my questions are:

1. Is it ok to turn off the heat and humidifier completely and run the APAP without them? I don't want to damage the machine in case I end up returning it.

2. Is it likely this machine is malfunctioning or is there often a lot of moisture in the nasal pillows even without humidification? FYI I live in northern Calif and the humidity is about 55% today - not super hot or humid.

3. The air coming out feels very warm - is this from the tubing maybe? Is there a way to stop the tubing from being heated? I know that might make more condensation - just trying to get some advice on tweaks to make myself more comfortable.

Thanks very much for any help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OK to turn off heat and humifier on AirSense 10?
No problem setting humidity to zero. It's strictly for comfort and any setting you can access you may change without hurting yourself or the machine. The machine is probably not malfunctioning. I recommend you request the clinical manual through the forum. send an email to: apneaboard@gmail.com and put "Setup Manual" (without the quotes) in the subject line. Then put your machine:
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, AutoSet for Her, Elite & CPAP (combined manual)
in the email body.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi what,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You can turn heat and humidity off in your machine if you want to.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2015, 09:52 PM)what Wrote: 1. Is it ok to turn off the heat and humidifier completely and run the APAP without them? I don't want to damage the machine in case I end up returning it.
Hello what and welcome to the board
You can turn off the heat or turn it down but not sure would make much difference
Other nasal pillows users said the moisture in the pillows is from their own breath, hose cosy for the short hose might helps

You can also use the SlimLine hose instead of the heated hose and that gives the option of setting humidity level, off/1-8
The SlimLine hose comes with the machine inside the bag as standard

Why do you say "in case I end up returning it"?
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried setting climate control to Auto? In auto it runs the tube at 80f and adjusts the humidifier to maintain about 85% humidity.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
AlanE - I started with auto climate setting but the air was so hot and wet I tried changing settings and it helped.

Zonk - I'm confused about tubes and heating. I thought heat source was in the machine but it's not - it's in the tubing? I have the tubes that came with my machine. I can believe the moisture is from my own breath but I'm not sure what to do about it. A hose cozy would affect the moisture in my nose?

I'm saying I might return it because I'm in the "rent to own" period - if I don't use it 70% of the time my insurance won't pay and I have to return it. I'm trying hard to get used to it but I'm having to take it off to get some sleep. I'm so exhausted and fiddling around with the settings and feeling like I'm suffocating and drowning is very frustrating! But I've read the success stories and I'm committed to trying hard. Last night was better but I only slept 4 hours then couldn't get back to sleep till I took the nasal pillows out and did without cpap. It's only been 3 nights so far - I'll keep trying. I wish the air blowing in my nose felt "fresher" - not smelly, not warm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Besides the humidity, you keep saying you feel like you are suffocating.
A pressure setting of 4 may be too low for you, and can cause you to feel that way.

Try raising your starting pressure to 5 or 6 and see if that makes a difference. The directions for doing so are on the clinical manual.
Your insurance won't care about changing settings, but they will care if you can't show compliance by using it at least 4 hours per night.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose - thank you! Increasing my starting pressure to 6 made me much more comfortable and stopped the headaches I was getting. Feeling more optimistic about treatment although I'm still only sleeping 5-6 hours and still feeling tired all day. I'm hoping to get a full 7-8 hours eventually as I get more used to cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great, keep us posted!
I have the opposite issue. My machine blows cold air when not using humidifier, which I don't like.
I have a feeling I will be using the humidifier and heated hose set to lowest settings during the summer months. We are all different.

Also, if you are using the ramp feature, you may do better to turn it off, especially if the pressure of 6 doesn't bother you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 6 464 12 minutes ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 353 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,099 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 359 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
Question Is it OK to turn on an oxygen concentrator before my APAP machine? EMihalis 10 683 12-15-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 2 602 11-16-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: cLoo
  Should I turn off EPR?? sleepygoo 4 555 11-09-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.