Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OMD? Or no-snoring mouthpiece suggestion?
OMD? Or no-snoring mouthpiece suggestion?
Hi all, new user. I have low to mild to moderate apnea diagnosed by a sleep study, but can't afford a CPAP at this time. Insurance will not cover an mandibular device either. I see there are a few options sold to stop snoring, I guess to avoid being classified as medical devices. It's hard to tell what is spammy and what acutally works. Some are even custom where you get something to bite into, and they create the mouthpiece custom for you in the 200$ range.

Has anyone had any experience with any, and have you checked to see if it has controlled your apnea?

Or, if you did the custom through the dentist system, would you have any idea how much it was without insurance coverage? I'm assuming in the couple grand area, which is far too expensive unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OMD? Or no-snoring mouthpiece suggestion?
(10-22-2015, 01:53 AM)Eulav2 Wrote: Hi all, new user. I have low to mild to moderate apnea diagnosed by a sleep study, but can't afford a CPAP at this time. Insurance will not cover an mandibular device either. I see there are a few options sold to stop snoring, I guess to avoid being classified as medical devices. It's hard to tell what is spammy and what acutally works. Some are even custom where you get something to bite into, and they create the mouthpiece custom for you in the 200$ range.

Has anyone had any experience with any, and have you checked to see if it has controlled your apnea?

Or, if you did the custom through the dentist system, would you have any idea how much it was without insurance coverage? I'm assuming in the couple grand area, which is far too expensive unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Eulav,

Welcome to the forum.

There is a My Tap Dental Device that you could get from a sleep medicine dentist for around $700 to $800 if I remember correctly. But in my opinion, if you were going to go that route, you might as well spend the money to find a pap machine at a price you can afford. If the issues is you can't spend money on a pap machine at the usual prices, here are a few options.

Start with supplier number 2 since they sell used machines and have a good reputation. Tell them what you can afford and make sure you get a data capable machine because it is going to be important to monitor how well your therapy is going. See this link for what is considered to meet this criteria.

http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

There may be other machines that are data capable but don't work with sleepyhead. Unfortunately, I don't recall them off hand.

Another option is to search for Craig's listings throughout the US as many times, you can catch some great deals although other items are way overpriced. If you see a listing that you are interested in, I would post it on the forum so that more experienced members can make sure you are not getting ripped off and that you would be buying a decent machine.

If you can't afford a machine period, google american sleep apnea association and then click on the cpap assistance program link that will lead you to the necessary paperwork. The way it works is your doctor has to fill out paperwork on your behalf and then once everything is approved, the machine is sent to his/her office for you to pickup at. You also have to fill out an application and there is a program fee of $100.00

Best of luck.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
49er, thank you so much for the quick response and all the useful information!!!!

I will definitely contact the american apnea assoc. That is great to know.

I hadn't considered buying used and wasn't even aware that was something possible. I figured there were "hygiene issues" of some sort with sharing machines. Is it all self contained to where if you exchange tubes and masks, there is no risk there? I'll definitely look into that option if I can get passed the "yuck factor". :-)

I'm also concerned as I've read stories about polyps and sinus issues caused by the CPAP, and that many people have given up due to various comfort issues, so thought the oral devices may cause less problems and concerns with users. Do you think that is just mostly advertising to get people to buy oral devices though? Hard to know who is being honest when someone is pushing a product.

Thanks again so much for all the useful info!
Post Reply Post Reply
There are some members here who have had some success with some dental appliances. I'll leave it to them to post their observations but you may find them if you do a forum search for dental appliances. I researched the issue for myself and decided that I would go the cpap route for two reasons. First, I didn't want jaw problems down the road in the form of TMJ/TMD which is a possibility as most of the dental devices work by moving the lower jaw forward. Second, Most of the new cpap machines are data capable meaning they record lots of your sleep data during the night and with software downloadable from this forum you can view it to see in detail how you are doing and monitor and adjust your own therapy. There is no was to do this with a dental appliance. The only way to tell if it's working is how you feel. Good luck with your decision. You will find much help and advice here.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2015, 03:38 AM)49er Wrote: Another option is to search for Craig's listings throughout the US as many times, you can catch some great deals although other items are way overpriced. If you see a listing that you are interested in, I would post it on the forum so that more experienced members can make sure you are not getting ripped off and that you would be buying a decent machine.

Please note that if you "see a listing you are interested in" on Craigs List or anywhere else that you should not post a link to that item, that will cause you to get a warning Smile none of us want that Smile

you are free to describe it and mention the cost.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2015, 10:10 AM)DariaVader Wrote:
(10-22-2015, 03:38 AM)49er Wrote: Another option is to search for Craig's listings throughout the US as many times, you can catch some great deals although other items are way overpriced. If you see a listing that you are interested in, I would post it on the forum so that more experienced members can make sure you are not getting ripped off and that you would be buying a decent machine.

Please note that if you "see a listing you are interested in" on Craigs List or anywhere else that you should not post a link to that item, that will cause you to get a warning Smile none of us want that Smile

you are free to describe it and mention the cost.

Thanks DV for this reminder as I completely forgot to mention that caution in my response. I feared making a mistake like this so now I have gotten it out of my system. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2015, 09:51 AM)Eulav2 Wrote: 49er, thank you so much for the quick response and all the useful information!!!!

I will definitely contact the american apnea assoc. That is great to know.

I hadn't considered buying used and wasn't even aware that was something possible. I figured there were "hygiene issues" of some sort with sharing machines. Is it all self contained to where if you exchange tubes and masks, there is no risk there? I'll definitely look into that option if I can get passed the "yuck factor". :-)

I'm also concerned as I've read stories about polyps and sinus issues caused by the CPAP, and that many people have given up due to various comfort issues, so thought the oral devices may cause less problems and concerns with users. Do you think that is just mostly advertising to get people to buy oral devices though? Hard to know who is being honest when someone is pushing a product.

Thanks again so much for all the useful info!

You're very welcome.

Obviously, you have to make your own decision but many people have purchased used machines on Craig's List without any problem. Personally I would worry more about getting a good price and making sure they are accurately describing the number of blower hours (ask for pictures) which will tell you how many hours the machine has been run. See this thread for more information, particularly the first few posts:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-ResMed-S9

I would defer to Sonicboom's post on dental devices.

Best of luck to you.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Eulav2,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Here is a link for you to check out in case you decide to get a CPAP machine: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Much success to you on your treatment decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,373 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,549 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 903 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 646 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Diagnosis] Help with Snoring Sleepster 14 972 11-19-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] New User - Settings Suggestion - Disturbed Sleep ralphm123 3 319 11-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Snoring ,treating hyponeas and flow limits Bluesv6 3 520 09-30-2023, 07:16 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.