Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OMG..I am miserable with bad gas pain
RE: OMG..I am miserable with bad gas pain
(11-23-2015, 06:05 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: As long as you're on hold, why not download Sleepyhead from the link at the top of this page, and see if your CPAP is working to improve your sleep? The answer as to whether you can reduce pressure lies within the data.

Well, I downloaded it and uploaded my data. I do know that my AHI was roughly 2.1 with APAP, now I am down to 0.77. In the last few nights I've had 3 CA's, 8 hypopnea's, and 4 obstructive apnea's, and 3 RERA's. So, I would assume it's working fairly well. I do know during my sleep study the tech told me I was loaded with RERA's.

So, that being said, do I just ride it out and see if the air swallowing resolves itself? Maybe this is just an adjustment period and I have to get used to the constant pressure? I am so dang miserable though. I guess I need to buy stock in Gas X or something else for the time being. But, I did take some of that today and it's not helping Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2015, 04:24 PM)AlanE Wrote: To get rid of gas (bloated stomach) I either use Tums, seltzer water, alka-seltzer. Baking soda also works for me - add ½ teaspoon to ½ glass (4 fl. oz.) of water. Won't taste the greatest but it helps me burp it out. If none of that works, maybe a visit to the ER is needed.

Tonight try sleeping with your head raised to try to prevent aerophagia from cpap.

I may try the elevated head, but I've always slept FLAT...sometimes NO pillow at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Shutz1012,
I am sorry to hear that you are suffering. I know that I do not have the same experience as some of the others on this forum but I have to pass this advice on to you as it came from the nurse at the supply company. I was told that if I had severe stomach pains following the use of CPAP I was to tell the doctor as quickly as I could so do not let the Therapist off the hook. Make sure that they hear that you are having this symptom.
I could not, in good conscience not tell you this so please look after yourself and be safe.
Regards,
Don
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
Thomas A. Edison

Post Reply Post Reply
For whatever it's worth, there are YouTube videos on the subject of fixing and preventing aerophagia gas in stomach with CPAP, found with search terms "Aerophagia Gas CPAP". I sleep with the head of the bed elevated by bed post standoffs under only the head of the bed posts for my GERD, no uncomfortable bend in the middle of the bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2015, 07:17 AM)DonC Wrote: Hi Shutz1012,
I am sorry to hear that you are suffering. I know that I do not have the same experience as some of the others on this forum but I have to pass this advice on to you as it came from the nurse at the supply company. I was told that if I had severe stomach pains following the use of CPAP I was to tell the doctor as quickly as I could so do not let the Therapist off the hook. Make sure that they hear that you are having this symptom.
I could not, in good conscience not tell you this so please look after yourself and be safe.
Regards,
Don

Thanks Don! I was in touch with my respiratory therapist and doctor's office yesterday. I explained my problem to both. This in turn led me to getting an APAP machine with my settings changed to 6-11. I was at 4-10 during my original titration. Although I wanted APAP 100% of the time and my Dr agreed to this, I somehow ended up with CPAP. This has all been rectified, thank goodness. Also, the resp. therapist said today that he feel people have better results with APAP due to the different positions of sleep, thus leading to different breathing patterns, and different stages of sleep, also with different breathing patterns. So, this being said, we may need higher on our back, but not necessarily a "high" level on our sides/stomach.

So, because of my issues I did NOT use my machine on Tuesday night, didn't want to be pumped full of gas again. Of course hubby woke me up and told me to move because I was keeping him up due to my snoring, lol...I can't wait to sleep tonight with my APAP again, and I'll be watching my numbers too!!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 340 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 396 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289
  Miserable Sleep 40+ Respiratory Rate, Doctor Doesn't Know Why SkylarBlue 14 1,251 10-02-2023, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Symptoms] Back/Chest pain, need advice anthonyfg 3 452 09-08-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: anthonyfg
  Hip pain when waking up? rpierce 7 1,097 08-27-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.