Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OMG..I am miserable with bad gas pain
OMG..I am miserable with bad gas pain
Can someone/anyone offer any suggestions for SEVERE gas pains? I was switched from APAP to CPAP on Friday with a pressure of 9.5 and I honestly don't know if I can continue to use my machine. I have had nothing but terrible gas pains, so bad that I can barely walk/stand up. I have placed a call to my DME provider, but I they have to call me back as the respiratory therapist is busy at the moment. Help Please...I wanna cry it's so bad.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OMG..I am miserable with bad gas pain
To get rid of gas (bloated stomach) I either use Tums, seltzer water, alka-seltzer. Baking soda also works for me - add ½ teaspoon to ½ glass (4 fl. oz.) of water. Won't taste the greatest but it helps me burp it out. If none of that works, maybe a visit to the ER is needed.

Tonight try sleeping with your head raised to try to prevent aerophagia from cpap.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Aerophagia, the ingestion of air with CPAP can be due to any number of causes. Obviously, constant pressure at 9.5 is a problem for you. There are a couple alternatives to consider.

1. lower your pressure and accept a higher number of apnea events. It won't be optimal, but you need to strike a balance between the therapy and comfort. Watch your data, and dial down pressure gradually until you can tolerate it without the gas pain.

2. Get a referral to an ENT for an evaluation of the Lower Esophageal Sphincter which should block air from entering your stomach. Chronic problems like acid reflux and GERD can weaken this muscle allowing CPAP pressure to be diverted to the gut.

3. Ask your doctor for a BiPAP (bilevel) device that offers lower exhalation pressure. This is a CPAP with two pressures. One for inhale (IPAP) and one for exhale (EPAP). You would likely be able to reduce exhalation pressure while maintaining enough IPAP to resolve OSA.

Other members may have additional ideas or options. Good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2015, 04:28 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Aerophagia, the ingestion of air with CPAP can be due to any number of causes. Obviously, constant pressure at 9.5 is a problem for you. There are a couple alternatives to consider.

1. lower your pressure and accept a higher number of apnea events. It won't be optimal, but you need to strike a balance between the therapy and comfort. Watch your data, and dial down pressure gradually until you can tolerate it without the gas pain.

2. Get a referral to an ENT for an evaluation of the Lower Esophageal Sphincter which should block air from entering your stomach. Chronic problems like acid reflux and GERD can weaken this muscle allowing CPAP pressure to be diverted to the gut.

3. Ask your doctor for a BiPAP (bilevel) device that offers lower exhalation pressure. This is a CPAP with two pressures. One for inhale (IPAP) and one for exhale (EPAP). You would likely be able to reduce exhalation pressure while maintaining enough IPAP to resolve OSA.

Other members may have additional ideas or options. Good luck.

Thanks for your advice. I do not have an option to change my pressure from what I can see, I've already checked my machine. I have no know history of gerd/acid reflux, do not have a problem there.

I am confused by my therapy as well. I will have to ask my therapist as I specifically asked for apap via my doctor, so I'm not sure why they have me at a constant pressure now. I did not have this problem when they had me on APAP. Needless to say, I am not very frustrated on top of not feeling well. As far as sleep/rest goes, I feel great, but I will not tolerate this bad abdominal pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the short term - get Activated Charcoal over the counter. Beano is not bad either and is just ground up papaya seeds.

http://flatulencecures.com/what-is-activated-charcoal
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Shutz, your profile shows you have a Remstar Pro with C-flex plus. That machine is a CPAP, but can temporarily be put in APAP mode for up to 30 days. It sounds like that is how you started. Double check your prescription, and if it specified auto-CPAP then the supplier is in error. If you tolerated Auto, then that may be a solution for you. Make sure your doctor knows of the problem with CPAP pressure, and have the prescription or dispensing corrected.

You can access the clinical menu and change pressure. You may want to do this tonight. Here are the instructions: http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow at this point. I have no idea what my script said, and the resp. therapist did not call back.
And furthermore, this whole process has been nothing but a bad headache for me. I have had nothing but problems all the way around from the start....grrrrr
Post Reply Post Reply
As long as you're on hold, why not download Sleepyhead from the link at the top of this page, and see if your CPAP is working to improve your sleep? The answer as to whether you can reduce pressure lies within the data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2015, 05:59 PM)shutz1012 Wrote: And furthermore, this whole process has been nothing but a bad headache for me. I have had nothing but problems all the way around from the start....grrrrr
I agree wholeheartedly!Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a youtube video in the Useful Links in my signature line at the bottom of this post. It might help you with CPAP gas.

Beano probably won't help. Beano helps keep you from generating your own gas digesting food. It doesn't destroy air that's been pushed into your stomach and intestines by CPAP.

Some of the simethicone things like Gas-x might help because they pop bubbles in your stomach and help you let it out, but they don't actually destroy the gas. I'm doubtful it will help much, though.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 341 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 396 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289
  Miserable Sleep 40+ Respiratory Rate, Doctor Doesn't Know Why SkylarBlue 14 1,251 10-02-2023, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Symptoms] Back/Chest pain, need advice anthonyfg 3 452 09-08-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: anthonyfg
  Hip pain when waking up? rpierce 7 1,098 08-27-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.