Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interpreting 20 minute periods of low pressure shown in SleepyHead
Interpreting 20 minute periods of low pressure shown in SleepyHead
I'm one of the lucky ones. Moderate (AHI 15) before my Resmed.

Now, two months using CPAP, my AHI is considerably below 1, usually about .2

Question: For fun I'm looking at my data in SleepyHead. In the attached image, there are several 20 minute periods when my mask pressure drops significantly.

I'm assuming these are part of the normal sleep cycle. Is that right? Are they REM sleep or something?

What about the pressure drop during the two RERAs? Related somehow?

Are there other patterns in Sleepyhead data (either pressure or other parameters) that make for interesting reading for someone with a general interest in the field?

For example, I can see how fast I fall asleep. And I can see that my sleep breathing is shallower and faster than my waking breathing.

But, what else might be fun to spot?

Tom

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interpreting 20 minute periods of low pressure shown in SleepyHead
The mask pressure drops correlate perfectly with machine pressure drops. If you want constant, just increase the minimum pressure. It appears you're using a relatively low maximum pressure in combination with an EPR of 3 which effectively gives you a pressure of 4/7 (EPEP/IPAP) when your machine is at its maximum pressure of 7.4. that is most of the night, and it works well. But when the machine pressure drops to 6, the mask pressure follows, and in once case you had a hypopnea.

This is really simple. Set your machine to fixed pressure at 7.4 with your EPR at 3, and those dips will go away. There is no reason to use APAP at that low pressure anyway.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2016, 11:05 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The mask pressure drops correlate perfectly with machine pressure drops. If you want constant, just increase the minimum pressure. It appears you're using a relatively low maximum pressure in combination with an EPR of 3 which effectively gives you a pressure of 4/7 (EPEP/IPAP) when your machine is at its maximum pressure of 7.4. that is most of the night, and it works well. But when the machine pressure drops to 6, the mask pressure follows, and in once case you had a hypopnea.

This is really simple. Set your machine to fixed pressure at 7.4 with your EPR at 3, and those dips will go away. There is no reason to use APAP at that low pressure anyway.

Hi, Sleeprider,

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I was mistaken. I figured that the decrease in pressure must have been from my entering a different sleep state and the machine detecting that the pressure it provided could be decreased.

I'm rather new at this. And, I suppose this has been a topic of discussion here. But, I don't feel qualified to decide what adjustments to make to my CPAP machine. I'm sure you have a lot of experience, but the changes you suggest I'll discuss with my MD.

I'm happy with just a few events a night.

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
No problem. Your treatment is excellent, and I don't see any reason to make any changes. Just remember when you are in Auto mode, the pressure may float between the minimum and maximum CPAP pressure settings. This will be reflected in the mask pressure. What strikes me, is that your machine is holding steady at your maximum set pressure. Normally, we would suggest a higher maximum pressure because the machine is apparently responding to something in its algorithm that suggests you need higher pressure than the maximum pressure setting allows; however with nearly zero events, it's not very compelling to make any changes. As long as you feel good and are benefiting from the therapy all is good. Don't hesitate to ask any other questions you might have.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tfield98,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2016, 10:36 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: ...because the machine is apparently responding to something in its algorithm that suggests you need higher pressure than the maximum pressure setting allows;

Interesting. In fact, after a few weeks of use, I was having some problems with nasal mask leaks so my MD lowered the maximum pressure from 8 to 7.4. Seems like a miniscule change numerically. That may explain it.

I'll ask him about it next time we talk.

Thanks again.

And to anyone struggling with their new CPAP machine, "hang in there!" In addition to all the helpful advice you get here, for some of us (including me) it just takes time for our bodies to get accustomed to a new regimen like this. But, the body and mind are remarkably flexible. So, give it time! :-)

Tom

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 113 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help interpreting iMatrix resvent Data Adamby1047 0 101 03-16-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Adamby1047
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 149 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 182 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Interpreting Oscar values SleepingTight 0 142 03-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Last Post: SleepingTight
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,046 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 774 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.