Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OMG ResMed The AirTouch™ F20, PROBLEMS!
OMG ResMed The AirTouch™ F20, PROBLEMS!
MAJOR discovery here.

First is there seems to be two types of mask connector, one I believe is correct and works great the other causes massive air flow leaks. The good one has a cover over the ring vents around the main connector the leaky one does not.

EVEN MORE IMPORTIANT ResMed sells theses as a two part system. The frame with the connector (and its small vents) and then the replacement UltraSoft™ memory foam cushion.

This seems like great idea: BUT I discovered that these tiny vents can become plugged by our using them for a long time. See the picture with two of these connectors, the plugged one is on the left the good new one on the right. 

I have been using the same frame and connector all year long, not knowing this could happen, just replacing the memory foam cushion every other month.

And lastly some of the foam can GO BAD, I am not sure why BUT I tried a new  complete mask Batch 1453388and it was crap, mask leaked all over the place and bruised my nose and no matter how tight I made the straps it leaked and farted on my face.

I dug out my old mask and it works correctly.

For some reason even in its box and bag it had gone bad.

AND I found a test for the good foam and the bad, pinch it tightly and count seconds, the good foam will return to normal shape by 3 seconds, the bad ones take longer.

So to sum up: Check your connectors for the cover on the vents, check you connector for blockage, or replace it every two to three months, and lastly check the foam if it is leaking.

Rich

[attachment=27513][attachment=27514]

[attachment=27515]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OMG ResMed The AirTouch™ F20, PROBLEMS!!!
We have discussed that elbow change quite extensively, including the white packing in the covered vent elbow called QuietAir. The older open vent isn't as restrictive. Both vent air as exhalations and excess air from the PAP need to go somewhere, so these are calculated expected leaks.

I suppose the memory foam can go bad. It's possible.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The elbow with the cover is ResMed's QuietAir elbow.  The elbow with the externally-visible holes is the old style elbow; it was replaced with the QuietAir elbow two years ago.

Both elbows are supposed to have the same air flow rate.  The QuietAir elbow has a fibrous packing under that cover to diffuse the airflow. The result is that the exhaust is very much quieter and feels like it is not happening -- but it is.

As for the holes looking blocked, the packing does turn black after use for some people. The source of the black color is unclear and also whether the spots affect the exhaust rate is also uncertain. You can find an extensive discussion of these "black spots" here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...r-Vent-F30.

As for the Airtouch F20's memory foam, if the package had been sealed and the foam was stiff when you opened it, you could see if the vendor or ResMed would replace it.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting...I can feel the amount of air flow coming from both elbows and there is a LOT more from the earlier model.

AND not only does the inside of the newer version of the elbow turn dark it also blocks air flow and when the blacken unit is replaced by a clear model there is a very large improvement in air flow..

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem is NOT the foam going hard but rather mussy, it loses being able to seal against your face.

ResMed is TOTALLY unwilling to do anything about these bad cushions..

In my case it is up to my DME to "eat" any defective units after 30 days.

The cushions seem very well sealed and can be stored for long times as long as the seal remains intact.

The complete mask assembly must be used as soon as possible, I have found they spoil after some time in storage.

Even in its unopened box and bag it/they had gone bad. I suspect as the mask assembly is NOT sealed as the replacement cushions are, the unsealed bagged mask lets air in or elastomers out and decomposes the foam. I have loss a couple of backup masks this way and one unsealed cushion.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 17 1,888 2 hours ago
Last Post: clan
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 143 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  AirTouch F20 mask date code? Labromaniac 4 396 02-14-2024, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 213 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 326 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 457 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,820 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.