Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
RE: OMG now DME are selling SoClean
My Doctor said that in the past with the old model S9, the seals would degrade. if you have a newer machine, don't worry. Rumors expand as they age.

It is not logical for a company to have been selling for so long if it damages the only thing it is to be used for.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2018, 01:43 PM)PoolQ Wrote: My Doctor said that in the past with the old model S9, the seals would degrade. if you have a newer machine, don't worry. Rumors expand as they age.

It is not logical for a company to have been selling for so long if it damages the only thing it is to be used for.

Bingo.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2018, 12:56 PM)JimInPT Wrote:
(09-26-2018, 08:20 PM)Robert121571 Wrote: I can’t believe what I just saw on Facebook from my DME. Guess they don’t care that ozone ruins the seals.

After two months of every-night use, my APAP system is still pristine and working fine with nothing other than my SoClean machine (also used daily) and occasional exterior wipe of the gel pillows.

What evidence do you have that ozone ruins the seals in my setup?

This is from my notes when I was researching "easy to use cleaners" (Spoiler Alert: I passed on the expensive machine in favor of more traditional cleaning methods)

About ozone in general ... It is believed by some that any build-up of ozone in the cpap machine will simply decay into plain oxygen and will not be toxic. 

And about the FDA's position...
Quote:[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 21, Volume 8]
[Revised as of April 1, 2018]
[CITE: 21CFR801.415]
See Related Information on Maximum acceptable level of ozone. in CDRH databases

TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS
CHAPTER I--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
SUBCHAPTER H--MEDICAL DEVICES
PART 801 -- LABELING

Subpart H--Special Requirements for Specific Devices

Sec. 801.415 Maximum acceptable level of ozone.
(a) Ozone is a toxic gas with no known useful medical application in specific, adjunctive, or preventive therapy. In order for ozone to be effective as a germicide, it must be present in a concentration far greater than that which can be safely tolerated by man and animals.

(b) Although undesirable physiological effects on the central nervous system, heart, and vision have been reported, the predominant physiological effect of ozone is primary irritation of the mucous membranes. Inhalation of ozone can cause sufficient irritation to the lungs to result in pulmonary edema. The onset of pulmonary edema is usually delayed for some hours after exposure; thus, symptomatic response is not a reliable warning of exposure to toxic concentrations of ozone. Since olfactory fatigue develops readily, the odor of ozone is not a reliable index of atmospheric ozone concentration.

© A number of devices currently on the market generate ozone by design or as a byproduct. Since exposure to ozone above a certain concentration can be injurious to health, any such device will be considered adulterated and/or misbranded within the meaning of sections 501 and 502 of the act if it is used or intended for use under the following conditions:

(1) In such a manner that it generates ozone at a level in excess of 0.05 part per million by volume of air circulating through the device or causes an accumulation of ozone in excess of 0.05 part per million by volume of air (when measured under standard conditions at 25 deg. C (77 deg. F) and 760 millimeters of mercury) in the atmosphere of enclosed space intended to be occupied by people for extended periods of time, e.g., houses, apartments, hospitals, and offices. This applies to any such device, whether portable or permanent or part of any system, which generates ozone by design or as an inadvertent or incidental product.

(2) To generate ozone and release it into the atmosphere in hospitals or other establishments occupied by the ill or infirm.

(3) To generate ozone and release it into the atmosphere and does not indicate in its labeling the maximum acceptable concentration of ozone which may be generated (not to exceed 0.05 part per million by volume of air circulating through the device) as established herein and the smallest area in which such device can be used so as not to produce an ozone accumulation in excess of 0.05 part per million.

(4) In any medical condition for which there is no proof of safety and effectiveness.

(5) To generate ozone at a level less than 0.05 part per million by volume of air circulating through the device and it is labeled for use as a germicide or deodorizer.

(d) This section does not affect the present threshold limit value of 0.10 part per million (0.2 milligram per cubic meter) of ozone exposure for an 8-hour-day exposure of industrial workers as recommended by the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists.

(e) The method and apparatus specified in 40 CFR part 50, or any other equally sensitive and accurate method, may be employed in measuring ozone pursuant to this section
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/c...fr=801.415

My bottom line ...

I doubt that the ozone present will significantly damage equipment given the shorter replacement schedule of the mask, hose, and water chamber components. As for internal damage of seals etc, it is possible over long periods of time, but I cannot find anything definitive.

I doubt that ozone cleans facial oils and other crud that might build up on parts, so I stick with CONTROL III disinfectant (which can be dangerous if mishandled or misused) and dawn dishwashing soap and wipes between disinfection cleaning.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
SoClean does NOT do the cleaning for you. If that is all someone is using, gross.

It will NOT remove snot. It just "cleans" it.
It will NOT remove facial oil. It just "cleans" it.

That stuff is still there. Allegedly "cleaned".

Soap and water is better. Vinegar and water is better. Control III is excellent. Why? Because the snot, facial oil, finger prints, lotion deposits, crud from humidifier - it is REMOVED and the surface is then CLEAN.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
if by cleaning you mean killing bacteria in the snot and facial oils oils your mistaken. ozone does not penetrate effectively.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ozone is simply a highly effective oxidizer....it is not stable, so it breaks down into oxygen gas (stable) and a free oxygen ion (the oxidizing bit that likes to react with stuff). In terms of seals, silicone can be impacted by oxidation (it's part of the reason it yellows)...so masks and seals *may* be impacted, depending on the formulation of the materials involved. If you are replacing your mask seal every 3-6 months and binning the old ones, it likely will not be an issue. If you hold on to them longer or for backup, you're more likely to see accelerated aging effects.

That said, Paula02 is correct that ozone does not remove anything...so the slobber in your mask from drooling at night....still there, just oxidized to disinfect it. Same for the snot you sneezed out, the facial oils and everything else. However, if it was a bacteria, it's killed by the ozone...but that's about it.

If you use an ozone system as part of your cleaning routine, that's fine and dandy....I'd recommend you rinse and dry your mask before putting it on your face and let the cleaning tank sit for a while after use before pouring it's contents into the sink (the same oxidizing ability that helps it sanitize stuff can be corrosive to skin and steel).
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep "doctor"/DME very prominently displays the SoClean and has all sorts of glossy brochures about it. I assume it's an easy add-on money-maker.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2018, 01:09 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: My sleep "doctor"/DME very prominently displays the SoClean and has all sorts of glossy brochures about it.  I assume it's an easy add-on money-maker.

My DME does not, although they're aware of it.  I got a great price on a brand-new one via eBay and it's been working fine for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2018, 11:17 AM)PsychoMike Wrote: That said, Paula02 is correct that ozone does not remove anything...so the slobber in your mask from drooling at night....still there, just oxidized to disinfect it. Same for the snot you sneezed out, the facial oils and everything else. However, if it was a bacteria, it's killed by the ozone...but that's about it.
Not only does it not remove those residues but it doesn't kill the bacteria in and under them. I've had professional experience with a variety of vapor sanitizers. They don't penetrate well. If it's not cleaned, it's not disinfected.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
yawn. I am sorry but yet another thread about SoClean and the exact same posts and arguments. I don't think anyone is changing their mind on either side.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 220 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,790 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 342 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 672 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.