Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ONLINE home testing?
RE: ONLINE home testing?
Thanks for clarifying!

How did the doc appt come out?

And the DME should be able to assist you, as well.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi folks!!!

Well, after zillions of appointments, cancellations, equipment not being received from distributor, etc., etc., I am getting an S9 machine today!!

I will have it on loan for two weeks, so I can try it out.

So...what do I do with this thing?

I want to use it as a home test, to document that I have apnea, and also want to see if I can find a machine configuration that works OK with my back injury. (The injury is right where my diaphragm connects, so I cannot exhale against much, if any, pressure.)

I have downloaded the sleepyhead software, on y'all's kind recommendation.

Does one of you have time to tell me how to set up the machine for testing, or is there an existing thread that describes the process? I have looked, but am in a sleepy daze and am not finding such thread.

Any advice is appreciated! Also, if you folks have any suggestions about things I should ask the DME person at our appointment, please let me know (I can call her anytime, too).

Thank you!!

Post Reply Post Reply
It depends on which S9 you are getting. If it has the word 'Escape' in its name, send it back. They are not data capable.

What you want is the S9 Autoset (not Escape Auto).

Go to the files section of this forum and see how to get a copy of the model's clinician manual. From that, you can set the pressure to a range you think would work.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

Two weeks is barely enough time to document trends but for your purpose, it will work.

PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Paula!

I called and checked, on your advice and, no, it's not an Escape. Yay!

(I am using exclamation marks instead of smilies because somehow this interface erases smilies...even though I do not have the anti-smiley option selected.)

So, just /using/ the machine and experimenting with settings will provide a record equivalent to a home test for apnea? I don't have to set it up in some test-specific way?

Also, seeing your name reminds me! My PCP asked me to ask you how diagnosis is done for Ehlers-Danlos, hypermobility type. She thinks I probably have it, but apparently there is not a blood test for that type yet?

She does not research testing and stuff herself, but would like to order tests if I can tell her what to order.

(Did I already ask you this? I have encephalitis, on top of the apnea and joint stuff, so my memory is completely fuxored. Please forgive me if I am repeating something.)

Thank you <smilie>
Post Reply Post Reply
LOL

What you want to do is set it to the full range, which I think is 4-20. Then leave it.

If, after at least 5 days, that the lowest number is, say, 7, then you can raise the lower number to 6. And if it never goes over 13, then you can set that to 14. You don't need to keep changing the numbers because that's what the Autoset will do for you. Waiting at least 5 days will show some sort of maybe kinda a trend as far as closing that gap on the settings. It may also help you feel more comfortable as you are falling asleep.

You may not like it starting as low as 4 so use it some during the day while you are just sitting around. If you feel that 4 is not enough air (it will be enough, but you may feel smothered, although you are fine) you could raise that bottom number to 5 or 6.

What would also help with your data collecting is if you had an oximeter. It would monitor your blood oxygen level. If the data shows you are having events, you can compare it to the oxygen levels. It isn't necessary but it would give a more complete picture. It might be worthwhile to get one and use it the last few nights or so. Several of us got ours from Supplier #19. I have the CMS 50D Plus because it was a cheap experiment.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

The Autoset will not be the same as a 'real' sleep test. There's no way to monitor your body movement, what position you are in during the events, when you hit REM sleep, if you actually wake up (they call that an arousal) during the event, etc etc. But it will tell you if you are having events, how many, the time they occur, how long they last, and what pressure it needed to make the events stop.

As for the EDS, I'll send you a PM about it.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
It should say next to stop/start button what S9 model is it. If its Elite or Autoset you would get ample data on the screen (hours used, mask leak, pressure, AHI). Mask is number one issue have to be sorted before anything else bc if mask won,t work therapy won,t work either. Go to product review forum and read the review also browse through the links to find out as much as you can to use the machine and the humidifier.
You can find out all about the S9 setup
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 125 8 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,932 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  REM and Sleep Stage Tracking at Home rwelliot 15 5,333 02-26-2024, 03:49 AM
Last Post: DebJ
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 869 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton
  I cannot fall asleep with my bipap/home ventilator. Hypoglossal nerve stimulator? Jay51 220 14,628 01-17-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Son Finished Home Sleep Test - Possible UARS? Skeptic 7 626 12-16-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.