Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OS progress
OS progress
I started using my APAP 2/4/2014

No sleep study or insurance, just snoring and no breathing.

My beginning OA was 16 hypo was 13

AHI 2.39. AI 2.5

Pressure beginning was 10

I have sinced increased my pressure 13, but the highest it has taken me is 12.3

Today's readings are:

AHI 1.0. AI 0.5
OS- 1. Hyp- 2
Pressure 11.2
L2
6 hours of sleep

I have been sick but only missed a couple nights without my mask

I'm encouraged with the readings. Of course they still vary on the OA and the hypo, but all readings are lower than than the beginning.

Are there any articles that define what the negative results for having a high number on the OA and the Hypo? Heart problems maybe???

I feel like I'm holding my fluids and seem kind of puffy, that may be because I don't make a million trips to the bathroom before I started the APAP. I also no longer feel the need for my afternoon snooze.

So far happy camperSleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OS progress
If those numbers from a sleep study, the diagnoses would be ... no OSA
AHI 5 or below considered normal while using CPAP

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2014, 05:33 PM)zonk Wrote: If those numbers from a sleep study, the diagnoses would be ... no OSA

So should I stop using CPAP? It has stopped my snoring and I don't stop breathing as often.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife was found to be borderline OSA during her study. But we learned that she both falls asleep quicker, and is more rested while using her CPAP, so the sleep Doc said don't break what's fixed, and she's been on her CPAP for 3yrs now and loving it.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
"My beginning OA was 16 hypo was 13"

...and now you're under 5? No, don't stop........ It's working for you. The first set of numbers had to have come from when you first started cpap since you didn't actually have a sleep study, so one might assume they would have been higher than they were if you were not having cpap at all.

The proof is in the pudding of "no snoring," "more awake," "able to leap small buildings in large bounds" that sort of thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2014, 05:36 PM)Franklyspeaking Wrote:
(02-28-2014, 05:33 PM)zonk Wrote: If those numbers from a sleep study, the diagnoses would be ... no OSA

So should I stop using CPAP? It has stopped my snoring and I don't stop breathing as often.
I,m not saying such thing, example:
My sleep study RDI 85 ... diagnoses severe OSA
Now AHI consistently below 1 but stop CPAP ... OSA returns

Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, let me make sure I am understanding you correctly.

You did not have a sleep study.

But you say "My beginning OA was 16 hypo was 13". How did you reach those numbers? Running the CPAP on really low pressure?

The other thing is, the goal is to have an AHI of less than 5. You're getting that. But you can't look at each night and call it a success. You have to look for trends over time. You started on the 14th. So it's now been 14 days but you said you missed a few nights. So give it another 7 days or more. Keep gathering the data, keeping an eye on it.

Oh, and STOP MESSING WITH THE PRESSURE. Leave it where you have it. You can't change the pressure based on a single night or even a week's worth of data. It's not enough to go by. There are far too many variables involved.

After you have enough data, then we can help you figure out what to do next.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Franklyspeaking,
What Paula said.
Good luck to you and keep using your CPAP.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2014, 09:43 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Okay, let me make sure I am understanding you correctly.

You did not have a sleep study.

But you say "My beginning OA was 16 hypo was 13". How did you reach those numbers? Running the CPAP on really low pressure?

The other thing is, the goal is to have an AHI of less than 5. You're getting that. But you can't look at each night and call it a success. You have to look for trends over time. You started on the 14th. So it's now been 14 days but you said you missed a few nights. So give it another 7 days or more. Keep gathering the data, keeping an eye on it.

Oh, and STOP MESSING WITH THE PRESSURE. Leave it where you have it. You can't change the pressure based on a single night or even a week's worth of data. It's not enough to go by. There are far too many variables involved.

After you have enough data, then we can help you figure out what to do next.
I started the CPAP on 2/4/2014 not the 14th.

I used the first nights readings as my start figures, since no sleep study was done they probably were higher and the machine has helped.

I have only changed the pressure once and that was due to the graphs I saw. There were very many nights where the highest pressure was leveling out constantly and continually, which in my mind means the machine wanted to give me more air when I needed it but couldn't due to the set number, but after I moved it up to 13 from 10 now I see peaks and no more flat lines. My pressures now has not hit 13 But pretty much are between 12-12.3. My numbers are good so, but the main thing is my gasping for breathe and snoring are gone.

I'll keep taking my daily readings and watch how I feel. So far so good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Profile shows CPAP pressure:13 (fixed pressure) but from the sound of it, you set the machine on auto-adjust ... whats the range and pressure/leaks stats (median, 95th percentile, maximum)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,481 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  So Much Progress! sleepygoo 0 341 10-17-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: sleepygoo
  SleepyRyans progress SleepyRyan 1 459 08-05-2023, 02:28 PM
Last Post: SleepyRyan
  [CPAP] stanleyjack cpap progress thread stanleyjack 58 3,773 05-21-2023, 09:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] turbopenguin CPAP progress thread turbopenguin 14 1,081 04-14-2023, 08:23 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  No Progress: Merge Wperrott92 Therapy Thread Wperrott92 11 1,183 01-29-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Wperrott92
  Can someone look at my 45 day APAP progress data? Catherine416 4 846 01-26-2022, 12:10 AM
Last Post: Catherine416

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.