Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSA -> CSA?
RE: OSA -> CSA?
Hi, I ran the machine on an EPR setting of 1 yesterday. Don't know if it helped with the CA events but maybe I should give it more time? 

I think the EPR change from 3 to 1 is helping to reduce leaks, compared to the 4.3.20 - 4.5.20 data which I posted earlier on this thread. Can someone comment on that? I've attached a screenshot of results from last night, and superimposed obstructive events over the leak rate graph (seems there is strong overlap). Are the pressure changes occurring in response to the small periodic leaks? And how can I prevent these leaks?

Finally, would it help to sleep in a particular position? Maybe sleeping on my side increases the likelihood of a leak.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to add that if what we're seeing are mouth leaks, then what are ways to prevent them if one is prone to nasal congestion and allergies? I believe I've been breathing primarily through my mouth since starting therapy two weeks ago. I do recall slipping my finger into the portions of the mask where I felt an itch throughout the night, so I should look for a way to minimize physical discomfort around the mouth and nose.

Thanks for all the help so far. Appreciate it!
Post Reply Post Reply
OK that does look pretty good. Congrats. I think it's an improvement.

Unless you've ruled out nasal or nasal pillows masks, these tend to power their way past congestion where a full faced can't. Especially so on the pillows style.

The mask itchiness: consider something like Remzzs a cushion material you place between the mask cushion and your skin. Supplier #1 and others would carry it. Or search for Remzzs for best pricing.

Sleep position: this is personally dependant on what's best for you. Back sleeping generically may elevate AHI due to gravitational pull on the throat. I side sleep, typically left side due to other medical reasons such as GERD/acid reflux and terrible back pain if otherwise for long.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again for the feedback, Dave. I should try a nasal pillow mask if those with seasonal allergies (rhinitis) have had success with it. Would the AirFit P10 be compatible with the ResMed SlimLine tubing I received along with the Full Face F30 Mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I know any hose/machine/mask combo work except those small travel CPAP machines. Quite a few like the P10 with its minimal strap and a quiet operation. I've not tried it, but the ones that do really like it.

I think you'd remove the whole F30 mask including elbow and swap in the whole P10.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. What I'm seeing is a lot of inspiratory flow limits... pretty much flat inspiratory curves... leading to arousals (maybe?)...which lead to "central apneas" that may be Sleep-Wake-Junk (maybe?). Couple that with OP's age and "healthy" weight... is anyone thinking UARS?

OP, do you have an overbite, and/or a high arched palate, and/or crowded dentition (crooked teeth)?

Hope I'm not complicating matters. Just curious Smile I'm 29, healthy weight, and struggled with cognition/mood for years before getting diagnosed. Still struggling but much less so.

Edit: Could you post your sleep study? Does it have an RDI number in addition to AHI?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for chiming in. 

I've had braces so teeth are not crooked. No overbite, but I have an "open bite." My orthodontist was able to close the bite but it re-opened some time after braces were removed. I've worn a plastic orthodontic retainer ever since I had my braces removed (have yet to wear it with CPAP though). Can't comment on palate arch. 

Here's yesterday results with flow limit graph. I had a at-home sleep study done. So it was not thorough. My ODI was 4.1.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2020, 06:48 PM)kuacc912 Wrote: Thanks for chiming in. 

I've had braces so teeth are not crooked. No overbite, but I have an "open bite." Can't comment on palate arch. 

Here's yesterday results with flow limit graph

Thank you. As I suspected there are flow limits throughout the entire night. I'll let the experts on here chime in but generally you want to minimize those through higher pressure.

Do you have a tongue tie? It can cause an open bite, as your tongue hits against your front teeth rather than against the roof of your mouth while swallowing. This same inability to rest against the roof of your mouth can cause breathing problems.

And last question, did you have 4 pre-molars extracted when you were getting your braces?

Thanks Smile

Edit: ODI (Oxygen Desaturation Index, usually number of >4% oxygen desaturation) is one part of the RDI (Respiratory Disturbance Index). The way my RDI was scored was by adding up my ODI (which was 3 per hour) to my RERA (2-4% oxygen desaturation, which was 12 per hour) to give me an RDI of 15. My AHI was only 3.

An RDI above 5 can indicate Upper Airway Respiratory Syndrome. Jaw abnormalities, such as narrow jaws, high palate, overbite, etc. can lead to UARS. Patients are commonly young, healthy weight. They can present with excessive daytime sleepiness, anxiety, depression, heartburn.

Sorry to hit you with so many acronyms and such, feel free to ask me any questions :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I have a tongue tie. It looks like the "moderate" one below. I recall being advised to rest my tongue against the roof of my mouth by my orthodontist but I couldn't do it. Also, I feel the resting position of my tongue differs depending on whether I'm wearing my retainer. I didn't have any teeth extracted before or after braces. Had braces removed 9 years ago.

[Image: tongue_tie_test.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2020, 07:01 PM)kuacc912 Wrote: Yes I have a tongue tie. It looks like the "moderate" one below. I recall being advised to rest my tongue against the roof of my mouth by my orthodontist but I couldn't do it. Also, I feel the resting position of my tongue differs depending on whether I'm wearing my retainer. I didn't have any teeth extracted prior to braces. Had braces removed 9 years ago.

[Image: tongue_tie_test.jpg]

Yeah, I'd honestly go get that cut as soon as you can. It's a very minor procedure and you'll just be sore for a few days - the mouth heals incredibly quickly. It's essentially preventing you from resting your tongue against the roof of your mouth, which aids in nasal breathing.

Here's some more info:

https://www.zaghimd.com/tongue-tie

And I added some more info to my post above, in case you didn't see.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.