Humidifier: Unsure
CPAP Pressure: 5 - 10
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
OSA Understanding
I am a newly diagnosed OSA sufferer

I am confused about something very basic

Is high pressure required if breathing is well restricted to the nasal path ?

I thought the problem of not breathing came from the upper mouth tissues and/or tongue falling to block air passage. This then deprives the body of oxygen.

A good friend and CPAP user is telling me all one needs to do is breath thru the nose with the help of the machine pressure.

But I thought the machine must have a pressure high enough to blast thru the blockages when they occur.

That would mean that the blockages can occur after the point where the nasal and mouth passages meet.

Is that true ?

What causes blockage at that point if it is past the mouth cavity ?

Thanks
10-09-2013 10:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

RE: OSA Understanding
Hi paulfr
This might be of some help, from ResMed ... understanding sleep-disordered breathing (SDB)
http://www.resmed.com/ap/multimedia/unde...40x380.swf
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2013 11:49 PM by zonk.)
10-09-2013 10:45 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Think of it this way.

When you breathe through your nose, the air goes down the throat then into the lungs. You don't need to open your mouth to breathe.

The tongue and throat muscles are considered "voluntary" as in we control them. Just as we control our arm to raise our hand to scratch our ear. We don't think about how to do it, we just do. We know how to do it.

When we sleep, voluntary muscles relax. Our arms, our legs, our throats, etc. When an obstructive apnea event happens, the material in the throat (base of tongue, throat muscles, etc) relax to the point they can "flap in the breeze" of our breathing. That's a snore. In some people, those tissues further relax and block the airway. No air gets to the lungs. Not through the nose nor through the mouth. The brain kicks into gear to try and wake us up. As soon as we do, we tense up the throat and the airway opens.

What a CPAP does is it uses air pressure. With the mouth closed, the CPAP pushes enough air into our nose and down the throat to keep the throat open. It actually does not take much. A CPAP does not have enough force to blow up a balloon. The amount of pressure needed varies from person to person.

Some people breathe through their mouth when they sleep. For them, they have to either use a chin strap to keep the mouth closed or they use a mask that covers both the mouth and the nose.

There are oral masks that fit inside the mouth. But usually the nose has to be pinched closed or the air comes out the nose without doing much good in the throat.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-09-2013 11:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
paulfr Offline

New Members

Machine: SleepOneAuto
Mask Make & Model: ResMed
Humidifier: Unsure
CPAP Pressure: 5 - 10
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

(10-09-2013 10:45 PM)zonk Wrote:  Hi paulfr
This might be of some help, from ResMed ... understanding sleep-disordered breathing (SDB)
Thank you
That was very helpful
10-10-2013 01:55 AM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi paulfr,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
10-10-2013 07:15 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(10-09-2013 10:33 PM)paulfr Wrote:  I thought the problem of not breathing came from the upper mouth tissues and/or tongue falling to block air passage. This then deprives the body of oxygen.

A good friend and CPAP user is telling me all one needs to do is breath thru the nose with the help of the machine pressure.

But I thought the machine must have a pressure high enough to blast thru the blockages when they occur.

You're correct.

Quote:That would mean that the blockages can occur after the point where the nasal and mouth passages meet.

Not at all. You can create a blockage that allows you to breathe through your nose only. And you can also create blockage that allows you to breathe through your mouth only. You can accomplish all of that with the voluntary muscles in your throat, tongue, and jaw.

If a CPAP pressure higher than 25 cm of water or so is needed then you'd probably have to look at surgical options. Fortunately the vast majority of patients require far less pressure than that.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-11-2013 09:51 AM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

(10-09-2013 11:22 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Think of it this way.

When you breathe through your nose, the air goes down the throat then into the lungs. You don't need to open your mouth to breathe.

The tongue and throat muscles are considered "voluntary" as in we control them. Just as we control our arm to raise our hand to scratch our ear. We don't think about how to do it, we just do. We know how to do it.

When we sleep, voluntary muscles relax. Our arms, our legs, our throats, etc. When an obstructive apnea event happens, the material in the throat (base of tongue, throat muscles, etc) relax to the point they can "flap in the breeze" of our breathing. That's a snore. In some people, those tissues further relax and block the airway. No air gets to the lungs. Not through the nose nor through the mouth. The brain kicks into gear to try and wake us up. As soon as we do, we tense up the throat and the airway opens.

What a CPAP does is it uses air pressure. With the mouth closed, the CPAP pushes enough air into our nose and down the throat to keep the throat open. It actually does not take much. A CPAP does not have enough force to blow up a balloon. The amount of pressure needed varies from person to person.

Some people breathe through their mouth when they sleep. For them, they have to either use a chin strap to keep the mouth closed or they use a mask that covers both the mouth and the nose.

There are oral masks that fit inside the mouth. But usually the nose has to be pinched closed or the air comes out the nose without doing much good in the throat.

If the CPAP is designed for the pressure to go through the nose and someone has allergies/sinus issues and 99% of the time their nose is stopped up, wouldn't this make CPAP not as effective? Just wondering.
10-11-2013 10:26 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

No. That's what full face masks and oral masks are for.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

10-11-2013 12:25 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

(10-11-2013 12:25 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  No. That's what full face masks and oral masks are for.

So if using a ffm with a stopped up nose and sleeping with a closed mouth, one would still get the full benefit of the cpap treatment?
10-11-2013 01:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(10-11-2013 01:18 PM)me50 Wrote:  
(10-11-2013 12:25 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  No. That's what full face masks and oral masks are for.

So if using a ffm with a stopped up nose and sleeping with a closed mouth, one would still get the full benefit of the cpap treatment?

Yes, I think you do get the benefit if you're using a FFM. I had a blocked up nose the other night. Obviously breathed through my mouth and got the benefit of the therapy. But I woke up with a sore throat and dry mouth. Angry

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

10-12-2013 03:35 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need help understanding my Nov. 23 charts, pls. kingskid 16 309 Yesterday 09:08 PM
Last Post: vsheline
  Understanding data Aknakon 4 297 10-17-2016 10:41 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Understanding AutoCPAP amykathleen2005 6 470 08-10-2016 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Help Understanding my Numbers and Being Tired larrygreg 9 979 06-23-2016 04:16 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Understanding Resmed 10 Autosense millerdq 11 1,054 06-16-2016 05:38 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
Question Help understanding sleep report and setting APAP range. allynpsych 5 913 04-20-2016 12:57 PM
Last Post: allynpsych
  Understanding Resp. Rate - Oxygen levels MouthBreatha 3 875 02-19-2016 09:54 AM
Last Post: Aether087