Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSA Understanding
RE: OSA Understanding
I use and love my nasal pillows. but I also have a ffm for when I get bad allergic reactions and colds. No amount of pressure from the cpap will get through my nasal passages when they decide to shut down.
for a mild allergic reaction the cpap can open up my sinuses. I find if I put a sinus spray up the nose just before hooking up, that it will actually push the medicine in further and give me a great deal more relief. Still playing with it, and honestly I try to avoid allergic substances so only have a few instances to judge by (not really enough but not planning more!)

I do not enjoy my nights sleep on the ffm but it is better than going without therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
So what happens if I go to sleep and my mask is leaking, do I not survive or can I get enough oxygen to live through the leak?

I also have a deviated septum and am concerned about everything. I am new to this mess and need answers I am not getting from my doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2013, 02:29 AM)Blaifarm Wrote: So what happens if I go to sleep and my mask is leaking, do I not survive or can I get enough oxygen to live through the leak?

I also have a deviated septum and am concerned about everything. I am new to this mess and need answers I am not getting from my doctor.

First, I am curious what type of doctor you are seeing that isn't answering your questions.

Secondly, your machine doesn't provide oxygen (that would be a separate issue).

I would suggest that you download Sleepy Head software and look at your data because that will show you what happens during your sleep, if and how many leaks you have and what your machine does during those leaks.

It would be helpful to know what kind of machine, mask, etc. that you are using.

For me, I am more afraid of what would happen to me if I DON'T use my machine.

I hope someone else can answer the rest of your questions for you!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2013, 01:18 PM)me50 Wrote: So if using a ffm with a stopped up nose and sleeping with a closed mouth, one would still get the full benefit of the cpap treatment?

If your nose is completely stopped up, and your mouth is completely closed, you can't breathe. With or without a CPAP machine.

If your nose is only partially blocked you may still be able to use a nasal mask. But if your nose is so blocked that you can't breathe through it then you have no choice but to breathe through your mouth. With or without a CPAP machine.

In these cases you'd need an oral mask, full face mask, or hybrid mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2013, 02:54 AM)me50 Wrote:
(10-17-2013, 02:29 AM)Blaifarm Wrote: So what happens if I go to sleep and my mask is leaking, do I not survive or can I get enough oxygen to live through the leak?

First, I am curious what type of doctor you are seeing that isn't answering your questions.

Secondly, your machine doesn't provide oxygen (that would be a separate issue).

I would suggest that you download Sleepy Head software and look at your data because that will show you what happens during your sleep, if and how many leaks you have and what your machine does during those leaks.

It would be helpful to know what kind of machine, mask, etc. that you are using.

For me, I am more afraid of what would happen to me if I DON'T use my machine.

I hope someone else can answer the rest of your questions for you!!

I am using the good ol' VA System. I was given a home study test because I was told with my sleep habits that I probably could not complete a lab study. I was sent home with a machine and told "to get used to it".

I have tried talking to the doctors, but only get bits and pieces of information each time I talk to them.

Of course, this does nothing for my compliance.

If I don't get my oxygen through the machine, where does it come from? Serious question.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2013, 11:49 PM)Blaifarm Wrote: If I don't get my oxygen through the machine, where does it come from? Serious question.
The machine supplies you with compressed air. The atmosphere contains about 20% oxygen (if I remember back to high school science), so that provides what we need to live. The air coming from the machine is only slightly compressed - it won't inflate your tyres, for instance. But the pressure is high enough to overcome the obstruction in your airway. The trick is to get the pressure high enough to overcome the obstruction, but not so high that it becomes uncomfortable. That's the titration process, which can be done in a sleep lab, or you can monitor your own progress over time and make adjustments to optimise your treatment. (Which is what most people here do).

If the mask leaks, you'll get less pressure into your airway and the therapy will be less effective. But you'll still get more air than just breathing without the machine. You won't be deprived of oxygen. The Resmed machine can cope with a pretty high leak rate, and can adjust the pressure to compensate (up to 24 litres/minute). If the leak rate is higher than that, chances are you'll feel it on your face or in your eyes and wake up anyway. Bottom line is that a leaky mask won't physically hurt you, and a CPAP machine can't deprive you of oxygen.

You mentioned above you have a deviated septum. In that case you might be more comfortable with a full face mask. I have a very slight deviation and tend to get a very stuffy nose, and the full face is much easier to live with for me. I strongly recommend you try out various masks until you get one that you're comfortable with. Talk to your doctors or DME and get them to lend you a couple of different types.

This is a whole new thing for most of us - I'm a relative newby as well - and it does take some getting used to. The lucky people adapt in a few days, I'm on my third month and just about getting there. Everybody is different. The main thing is to realise that sleep apnea is a serious condition with potentially life-threatening consequences. The therapy is not easy, but it's a lot better than the alternative!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Blaifarm,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to and can take lots of PATIENCE.
Don't be shy about asking to try different masks. Some people have to try "MANY" masks 'till they get the right one that works.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,563 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 560 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976
  [Treatment] Understanding rise in AHI PedroT 17 815 12-30-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: PedroT
  Help Understanding CA hollercollett 2 363 12-26-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: hollercollett
  Understanding Sleep Study Centennial2 17 822 12-22-2023, 10:02 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question [Diagnosis] Help Understanding Sleep Study and Titration Test DGJ1014 9 582 12-22-2023, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Understanding OSCAR statistics GusHauck 13 688 11-30-2023, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.