Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSA and Asthma
OSA and Asthma
I've been having an asthma flare and it has zoomed the AHI up from below 5 to near 50 at times.

Has anyone come up with a standard approach to adjusting the CPAP for asthma?

I met with my provider who said there wasn't one. We're going go with empirical testing and see what shifting everything up by 3 on the pressures does.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSA and Asthma
Post your OSCAR daily charts from your night with asthma and I'll bet we can come up with a set of numbers that will help.  At least we will see what is happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wish I could help you there. My COPD has some similar symptoms compared to asthma, but mine acts up always.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note: the reason for some erratic use in the past couple months is that I broke 1 vertebra in my back on 08/23/2019 and was in either a hospital or nursing home for about 5 weeks.  I may have suffered a mild head injury in addition to the broken back - my appetite dropped, I lost about 15 pounds, I have to remember to drink enough water, and a few other things.

The first 4 screen shots show the overall pattern.
The last screenshot is last night.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Beej, do you have a cervical collar?  I'd like you to try one on an asthma night.
Your obstructive events are clustered and not throughout the night.  Normally says tucking your chin.  You could easily be more sensitive to this during asthma.

Also your Flow Limitations are increased and you are experiencing elevated RERAs.  Not at all surprising with asthma.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using 2 flat wedges on top of each other, without a pillow.

Post Reply Post Reply
This is just an educated guess, but you might want to raise EPR to 3. This will provide some pressure support to help get air in and out of your lungs. I don't think just raising the pressure without touching EPR will achieve a lot. I could be mistaken, of course.
Post Reply Post Reply
That seems reasonable. In asthma, a key issue is exhaling so you can breath in.

Post Reply Post Reply
DB EPR is already 3, I'd love a BiLevel where we could go higher, thus a collar.

Beej, could you 'make' one by rolling a towel around a neck tie and tieing it on. Just trying to see if this would work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a plan.
I'll see what I can finagle.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Asthma & CPAP MARrshh 4 917 07-09-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Apnea23
  [split] CPAP triggering asthma/wheezing? ShhhImSleeping 3 1,348 05-31-2020, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Asthma and CPAP Qs from newbie SleepyEdmonton 6 1,426 02-24-2020, 10:59 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Gross CPAP Made me well - sick. Asthma.Acne.Etc. dbw45 11 2,019 02-10-2020, 10:15 AM
Last Post: booksfan
  Does CPap improve asthma and copd? Solar Rays 11 2,791 09-03-2018, 05:49 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [Symptoms] Triggers asthma everytime I try CPAP machine. Wondering if Alex or cflex+ would help Schtweety 15 2,736 06-22-2018, 02:54 AM
Last Post: yrnkrn
  CPAP triggering asthma/wheezing? Kris the Crone 25 16,555 07-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.