Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSA and CSA
OSA and CSA
How are OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA and CENTRAL SLEEP APNEA related? Thanks, Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSA and CSA
Coffee

Short N Quick answer: both OSA and CSA are forms of apnea, which means you are not breathing for the requisite 10 seconds or longer.

OSA: Obstructive means you are dealing with a physical blockage that you cannot breathe past, almost always it's the throat collapsing on itself.

CSA: Central (not to be confused with the designation of CA which can be clear airway) means you are dealing with the mental process of breathing being disrupted, mostly due to a form of imbalance between oxygen and carbon dioxide that confuses the brain to think you're not ready for a breath yet.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lucky me I've got both! Thanks for you reply, Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
Tom,

There are many people who suffer from both. ScarcasticDave, for example, uses a machine that addresses both forms of apnea. On this forum, it is not at all uncommon for folks to have OSA and CSA with both types occuring nightly. The questions I have for you are; is this a new diagnosis, and are you treated/pursuing treatment?

If you'll post some charts, help through advice is obtained here Smile
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
In my first sleep test, i had an AHI of 58.  They were almost evenly divided between OSA and CSA.  It took the ASV machine, using the Auto setting to treat both.  This is not uncommon.  Now my average is about 1.9 AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2018, 07:04 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Coffee

Short N Quick answer: both OSA and CSA are forms of apnea, which means you are not breathing for the requisite 10 seconds or longer.

OSA: Obstructive means you are dealing with a physical blockage that you cannot breathe past, almost always it's the throat collapsing on itself.

CSA: Central (not to be confused with the designation of CA which can be clear airway) means you are dealing with the mental process of breathing being disrupted, mostly due to a form of imbalance between oxygen and carbon dioxide that confuses the brain to think you're not ready for a breath yet.

I thought CA was a Central just another way to say it? Does sleepyhead distinguish between a central and CA?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2018, 09:13 AM)jerry1967 Wrote:
(06-30-2018, 07:04 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Coffee

I thought CA was a Central just another way to say it? Does sleepyhead distinguish between a central and CA?

CA has been used interchangeably to refer to central apnea and clear airway. I think the machines are good at detecting obstructive apneas and when there is no obstructive apnea detected and there is no flow, the machine will mark a clear airway which can be interpreted as central apnea. The airway is open but there is no breathing, central apnea.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Correct. I guess I should have had my post without the phrase in parenthesis. I wasn't trying to confuse the issue. I suppose with the capabilities our machines have, clear airway is, as far as I've learned, labeled as such because it's definitely not obstructive, hence clear or open. Our machines try to test for clear or obstructive via pulses to gauge response then labels accordingly, and hopefully accurately.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it not correct to understand that "CA" means "Clear Airway" when it is a rendering given via a ResMed machine...only?  And would it not be correct to assume that some, many, most CA's are 'central sleep apneas' sort of by default?  They don't meter out as obstructive, so they are not assigned the designation "OSA" in at least the ResMed machines.  If the person experiences no flow limitation, and there's no drawing of breath...the person just seems to 'stop'...then, after 10 seconds the machine assigns the event the designation of 'CA', or "ain't nuthin' happenin'.'  

I only ask this because of my very limited experience and knowledge.  For example, I have never used, nor seen the data set, from another manufacturer's rendering and alogorithms except in SleepyHead...I guess.  Do they all render a 'CA', and does the industry count such events necessarily as a "central?"
Post Reply Post Reply
I think for the most part, the machines are accurate.  If you open up the wave form, you can see an Obstructive shows an attempt to breathe, but a Clear Airway is usually a flat line.

Occasionally, I will see a flag marked as CA, but the wave form looks the same as one marked as Obstructive.   Dont-know
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.