Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSA and Type 1 Diabetes
OSA and Type 1 Diabetes
Hi,
I'm newly diagnosed and have soooo many questions. I've been told that there is a definite connection between type 2 diabetes and OSA. I have had type 1 diabetes for many years. I'm pretty sure there's a connection between the erratic BG numbers I've had for several months. Is OSA also connected to type 1 diabetes?

Thanks so much for your response!
Greendog
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSA and Type 1 Diabetes
(07-20-2016, 04:41 PM)Greendog Wrote: Hi,
I'm newly diagnosed and have soooo many questions. I've been told that there is a definite connection between type 2 diabetes and OSA. I have had type 1 diabetes for many years. I'm pretty sure there's a connection between the erratic BG numbers I've had for several months. Is OSA also connected to type 1 diabetes?

Greendog

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2003, and OSA in 2009. The Endocrinologist I was seeing at the time of diagnosis is also the one who strongly suggested that I have a sleep study. It was his opinion that OSA can be a complication of type 1 diabetes.

If you are not sleeping well, that can cause a lot of stress to your body. Any kind of stress can affect your BG numbers. Have you talked with your Endocrinologist about your BG numbers?

Post Reply Post Reply
We have some type 1 DM with sleep apnea on the board.
They can better answer the question.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Grammabear,
Thank you for your reply. You are totally right about stress and erratic BG numbers! I use an insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor and have been trying to adjust the programming to cover crazy BG spikes- after years and years of very stable control. My endo has never mentioned sleep apnea as a possible cause.

I practically had to beg my PCP to do a sleep study. She said that it was "extremely unusual for a small, slender woman to develop OSA". So much for that! The first night of testing revealed an AHI of 82.

I am really hoping that I can get my A1c back down to it's previous high-6 level after a short time on CPAP therapy. Did it take long for you?

Thanks again,
Greendog
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2016, 04:41 PM)Greendog Wrote: Hi,

Greendog

I am insulin dependent and I have experienced a reduction in my insulin need since I started therapy.

Which I believe is attributed to positive airway therapy.

It took several months of therapy for it to show up.

Here are some threads where I discussed it, when I was in my 3rd and 4th month of therapy.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Low-Blood-Sugar?

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...age-change
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think you can say that your OSA is the direct cause of your Type 1 diabetes. It can contribute to it and make it harder to control but cause it? Treating OSA can certainly make either type of diabetes easier to control!

Actually, from the articles I just read, it may be the other way around. The longer you have the Type 1 diagnosis, the higher your risk for OSA goes up. The French report suggests that doctors start testing patients for sleep apnea after 10 years and do so every 5 (if I read that right). This was especially true for those who had low BMI.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I honestly did not realize that my elevated BG numbers were connected to my sleep apnea. All I knew at the time I was diagnosed with OSA was that this wonderful CPAP machine made it possible for me to sleep more than several hours at a time. Getting used to the CPAP machine took me anywhere from 4-6 months.

I was surprised to find that when the seasons change, I have to adjust my basal rates on my insulin pump. It is during that transition period between seasons, that my BG numbers really go crazy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh no, I don't think that OSA could have caused my t-1. Waaaay too many years between the diabetes diagnosis and OSA. But I've seen so many articles associating t-2 and OSA that I was wondering if there was a connection with t-1 and OSA, too.

I sure do appreciate your response! I know so little about this whole thing and it's very, very intimidating!

Thanks again,
Greendog
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2016, 08:11 PM)Greendog Wrote: Oh no, I don't think that OSA could have caused my t-1. Waaaay too many years between the diabetes diagnosis and OSA. But I've seen so many articles associating t-2 and OSA that I was wondering if there was a connection with t-1 and OSA, too.

I sure do appreciate your response! I know so little about this whole thing and it's very, very intimidating!

I only know a few people with Type 1 diabetes (type II myself, but insulin dependant) but the ones I do know tend to pack on the pounds because insulin makes you hungry especially if they have trouble keeping their sugars level. And putting on weight is a risk factor for Sleep Apnea, so though it's probably too much to go so far as to think the former causes the latter there is perhaps some relationship or tendency. Of course in our over-fed society heaviness is not limited to those with diabetes.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
There are several articles linking long term Type 1 with OSA in low BMI individuals. They do not understand the link, at least not that I read. I did get lost after a while, though. There was a larger French study in '15, several smaller studies prior to that, and some others around the same time as the big one in France.

They were saying that too often low BMI folks get ignored in terms of OSA diagnosis yet their risk for it increases the longer they have had Type 1. Yet sleep is important in terms of blood sugar regulation and insulin production and assimilation.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 251 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 513 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Mask type in settings isn’t the mask I’m wearing 3k9BAO 1 415 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 8 16,071 11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Treatment] Where can I get this type of Boil-and-bite Mandibular Advancement Splint / MAD? selfhelpdevice 1 308 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What type of leaks are these on OSCAR? meatwagon42 2 449 11-09-2023, 10:20 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
Question What type of mask should I select on my device? hejohoo 5 588 08-21-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: hejohoo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.