Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSA and surgery works done. Reverted :(
OSA and surgery works done. Reverted :(
hi all

I am new here. I'm 43 and have critically severe OSA. My last test showed I stop breathing over 90 times per hour. I have a raised deformed palate with deviated septum  and unusually narrow nostrils. I never breathe through my nose. 

I tried CPAP a couple years ago but because of my airway and nose issues it wasn't even remotely bareable. I was told late last year I either seek treatment soon or I lose my license. So I had surgery. Doctor did UPPP, removed tonsils and noids, straightened septum plus some other procedures on palate. It was quite a lot. 

So now it is present day, 6 months post op and I feel as bad  if not worse than ever. I was starting to feel better 2 months post op but then the decline started. 

I don't see the dr again for another month. I am severely fatigued. Falling asleep st my desk again. I'm so frustrated and defeated. I've been suffering from sleep problems since my 20's and really want to beat this thing! I lost 40lbs so far and close to an ideal weight and still no improvement. 

I have tried countless remedies and methods I've researched with no gains. 

I am hoping you guys can offer some ideas on what I could or should do next. I'm sure my dr will have some ideas next month but at this stage that feels like an eternity away. ?

Any advice welcomed and ty!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSA and surgery works done. Reverted :(
have you still got your machine, or did your burn it in a celebration Smile
on a second reading it seems you never had a cpap...I think this will change when you see your doctor
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
If you still have your machine, start using it again. If it is an APAP, you may want to use it "wide open" for a week to titrate yourself. If it is not, then leave it where it is but watch the data.

It sounds as if the surgeries did some good but not enough. That is not uncommon. You could get a recording oximeter and wear that at night to see how low the O2 is getting. At least then it will narrow down the possibilities.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The machine was a trial. I got 4 weeks. Then when it didn't work I returned it. 

I don't think the surgery helped at all. 

Is it possible to acquire my own machine and mask without prescription or should I wait the month and see if doctor has ideas or gives a prescription?
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately for most folk, after going through that surgery, they end up needing Cpap treatment anyway.  

What type of machine were you using, Cpap, Auto Cpap, Bipap?

Why didn't the Cpap therapy work for you?  Was it just uncomfortable, or no doctor support, or didn't it bring your AHI down to a reasonable level?

Sure, you could purchase a machine, but between the surgery and a high AHI, I personally think you should wait to see your doctor.  You could end up buying the wrong type machine.
There's no way of knowing if you may need a bipap or an ASV machine.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't remember the type. I only remember it had auto ramp up when it detected I was asleep
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you show us your sleep study, note where it was in relation to your surgery. Read the links in my signature to help to get ready for what is likely to come, and please ask questions.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I was never given my study results. They faxed it to the trial machine place and never saw it myself. I've had 3 of them now and never seen anything. Just a doctor at other side of table reading it to me. 

I will make a point to get a copy of my next one in 3 weeks though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ask for copies of all of them. It is your right to have a copy. If they say "you'll not understand any of it", just acknowledge it and repeat the request.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
If this sleep test is at a minimal cost and your machine copay is low, they I'd wait, I'd just make sure the one in 3 weeks is a titration sleep study, finding and adjusting the right machine. Or a split study, where it is confirmed and then titrated. I can't think of a reason to be diagnosed again and then go for titration.

Given your history, if you had central apnea, they may not have went with the operation and you would be on a special machine. ring up for your old sleepstudy results. If you wanted to, you could get a resmed or respironics  full auto cpap machine and the doctor will have the data from the machine. You can get a new auto for under $500 on amazon
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 3 44 48 minutes ago
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,226 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 253 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 451 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,954 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 708 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,363 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.