Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSA and your HEART
RE: OSA and your HEART
(12-16-2015, 10:05 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote:
(12-16-2015, 08:09 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Ghost1958 sorry you also had a terrible experience! I wonder if you had been diagnosed much, much earlier if you could have avoided all that?

Absolutely. I was an over the road truck driver. Had been for the most part since i was 21.
Gone 3 to 4 weeks at a time nobody slept with me abd when i was home any snoring or stopping breathing my wife just blamed on exhaustion.
Mid 40s I began waking up in the truck with a racing heart, crazy high BP and heart rythem out of whack. About once a month at first and off to ER whereever i happened to be.
Over a few yrs it progessed to once a week or more until I had a heart attack in Bozeman Montana.
Always woke up in that shape. Never happened while i was awake.

Long story short I was disabled at age 44, lost my semi, and kept gaving repeats of the same until a yr ago when i finally was disgnosed.
Id still be working if id had cpap in that semi yrs ago.
off topic here but it is a small world i live not to far away from Bozeman and i am age 45 my afib has got my heart rate on an average of about 80 to 90 bpm i sure hope my asv machine works for me
Post Reply Post Reply
I used CPAP driving OTR. Not a BIG truck, but lived with them. Delivered three axle 5th wheel campers from manufacturers to dealers. Ran the CPAP off 2 6v Deep Cycle Batts Strapped to 12v, unless I could plug in. Couldn't use the humidifier on batts but, the CPAP sure helped. Alot of driver's need CPAP and don't know it.
Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2015, 11:25 PM)notsleep Wrote:
(12-16-2015, 10:05 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote:
(12-16-2015, 08:09 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Ghost1958 sorry you also had a terrible experience! I wonder if you had been diagnosed much, much earlier if you could have avoided all that?

Absolutely. I was an over the road truck driver. Had been for the most part since i was 21.
Gone 3 to 4 weeks at a time nobody slept with me abd when i was home any snoring or stopping breathing my wife just blamed on exhaustion.
Mid 40s I began waking up in the truck with a racing heart, crazy high BP and heart rythem out of whack. About once a month at first and off to ER whereever i happened to be.
Over a few yrs it progessed to once a week or more until I had a heart attack in Bozeman Montana.
Always woke up in that shape. Never happened while i was awake.

Long story short I was disabled at age 44, lost my semi, and kept gaving repeats of the same until a yr ago when i finally was disgnosed.
Id still be working if id had cpap in that semi yrs ago.
off topic here but it is a small world i live not to far away from Bozeman and i am age 45 my afib has got my heart rate on an average of about 80 to 90 bpm i sure hope my asv machine works for me

Hope it eorks for you too.
My HR during all those episodes would be as high as 200 bpm until they would knock it down in the ER.
My normal resting back then on lopressor was around 90 which was considered " normal".
I run around 65 to 80 resting now.
But no afib. Used to have tons of PVC also.
Now after cpap they are pretty rare abd usually caused by my eating something that gases me up bad.
Post Reply Post Reply
To jeffy1958,

How are you now? I have similar problems. I have Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome with atrial fibrillation. Average rate was measured in the electrophysiological catheter laboratory at 190 and the minimum interval between the irregular pulses represented a rate of 250. This was 1990. Ablation was not then available at our nearest cardiac centre but it was by 1991/92. The doctor I saw was a pretty bright guy and he went to the USA in 1990 for ablation training I believe.

Anyway, it scared the you know what out of me. I had suffered from tachycardias for 4 years already and local general practitioners in those days knew nothing at all about these kinds of conditions so I remained undiagnosed for that 4 years (1986-1990) and strictly for 8 years because I had an isolated but slightly different heart episode at school in 1982.

I have been on an anti-arrhythmic drug for 25 years as of now (December 2015) and by and large it was worked wonderfully, though not perfectly. I have discussed ablation several time over the years with my cardiologist and he kind of leaned towards leaving it alone unless there was any breakthrough of symptoms again. Apparently the WPW syndrome pathway can probably easily be ablated but there might still remain a tendency to atrial fibrillation which from what I understand can have a much more involved ablation process.

Anyway, I have been waking up very breathless and disoriented early in the morning on occasions since 2011. I suspected that maybe I had arrhythmias again but sometimes there is definitely no arrhythmia and if the ambulance comes the ECG is always the same (sinus rhythm but with some abnormalities that would show up anyway). I suspect sleep apnea or some other problem.

I have previously woken with arrhythmias and a similar feeling of disorientation because it is a very weird and unpleasant thing to have as you know! My first AF episode was on waking in early 1986. I have a feeling that now I am suffering from something different that puts me under great stress and can sometimes start to trigger an arrhythmia but the heart medication is preventing it from happening usually. In the past, (1986-1990), just about anything or even nothing could trigger an arrhythmia - they were practically spontaneous and would last 30-90 minutes in general if they got going. I would also have loads of near misses, perhaps ectopic beats that disturbed the heart rhythm for a second or two. I still get those from time to time and it puts me right on edge.

I am pretty convinced that I have sleep disorder. I don't know if it stress related or breathing related so I joined the forum today. I found your post very interesting.

I have just ordered an oxygen saturation monitor because I had a bad episode at 6am today on waking up. Maybe that will show something. If I had realized they were so cheap I would have bought one ages ago! If I call the ambulance and it arrives even in a few minutes, the breathlessness episode is often nearly over and I am just sitting there with the paramedic giving me an ECG (EKG in the USA) and feeling like an idiot because most of the episode has usually passed. I want to catch it early if I can and see what is going on.

Have you ever been to a sleep laboratory? I have not but I suspect if I did I would be symptom free for the days when I am there and ill the first day I got home!

Kind regards,

DaveintheUK

(02-23-2012, 02:12 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: [copied from our old forum]

jeffy1958 Wrote:Ever since joining this board I've been compelled to write - in detail - what I know about APNEA & HEART. It is extremely important for "ALL" of us to enter into the deep restfull (REM) sleep. ...

... I experienced several incedents of SVT's (Supraventricular tachycardia) and A-FIB's (Atrial fibrillation). To stop the SVT's they stop your heart for about 10 - 15 seconds. Or for those of us that are tech savy - they "re-boot" your heart. I'm here to tell you it is THEE worst God awfull feelling in the world. By the way - SVT's cause your heart to race. A-Fibs cause your heart to "flutter". I was told your heart rate should never exceed 160 bpm no mater what you are doing. My rate topped out at 240 bpm.

I was convinced by Dr. B that I needed a Catheter ablation. In a nut shell - there was a problem with the electrical impulses in my heart and the only way to cure is to "burn" the short. Cut a hole in your leg and neck, insert some probes, induce the problem and burn that part of the inside of your heart. Yeah... I'm an electrician and I've never fixed a short by burning the wires. But I trusted Dr. B. After TWO ablations, ONE stenting, and ONE balloning in a two month period I still had irregular heart beats. I tried for several weeks to explain this to Dr. B and he suggested I go in for a "sleep study"!!! What the hell has that got to do with my heart. Reluctanly I went and spent the night in the hospital.

Not happy with Dr. B I put my tail between my legs and went back to Dr. A to find out what is going on. By this time I have been on my "machine" for about a week. Dr A said he was happy to see I was on Cpap therapy and he would have did this first!!! Saaaay Whaaaat??? He then went in details and explained how important it is for you to sleep to allow your heart to rest, heal, and repair and it can't do that if you are constantly waking to breath. It is possible that I may not have gone through all those "proceedures".

The bottom line is this - Don't mess around. Don't play around with Sleep Apnea. Get the therapy / treatment you need and get into it all the way. ....

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 104 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 189 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Sleep study heart rate 250 bpm phoebesalva 5 405 01-13-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: phoebesalva
  waking up every 15 minutes and heart shedu1337 11 888 12-26-2023, 06:38 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 830 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 630 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  Many Awakenings with Heart Rate Spikes jr991 3 495 11-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: jr991

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.