Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR 1.3.1 on ARM Chromebook
RE: OSCAR v1.3.1 is released
(02-16-2022, 08:41 PM)pholynyk Wrote: My Chromebook is an Intel CPU, and it has v 98, and when I cat /etc/debian_version I get 10.11 which is Buster..
None of us devs has an Arm64 Chromebook, so we build on a Raspberry Pi running Debian. I deliberately left it on Buster because that was what my Chromebook uses.

If you bought your Chromebook just to produce Oscar, then that was a poor chice, you produce the Debian builds on amd64 anyway, so it would have been more effective for you to have bought an arm64 Chromebook. Still that;s all done now. But if you are going to continue to say you support Chromebooks, you or one of your devs should have an arm Chromebook. Best Buy is running one of it's many sales and you can get an arm Chromebook for $109. See ACER Chromebook 311

Surely an efficient use of the donations people make to this site, given that this seems like a very suitable machine for someone who needs a system solely to run Oscar.

Currently Chrome can make a Linux VM that installs either Buster or Bullseye, so you can have both on the same system, and actually test on the environment that you support.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2022, 11:25 PM)mjphyi Wrote: you or one of your devs should have an arm Chromebook. Best Buy is running one of it's many sales and you can get an arm Chromebook for $109.

I'm sure they'd happily accept a donated device from someone really concerned about support for that family.

Otherwise, they use what they have. I doubt any dev bought a specific device to test OSCAR on. My experience with open source devs is that they don't, and if someone wants support/fixes they have to be willing to test/debug/report often provide hardware.
Post Reply Post Reply
ST Dog: you are exactly right! We have SleepStyle support in OSCAR because an interested sleep tech was able to loan us a machine for evaluation. We have had similar support with the DS2.

There are also learning curve/cross-training issues. It would take a while for a person who knows one OS well to become equally adept at another. And how strong is the motivation to do that?

fwiw, I am in the process of setting up an Arm Chromebook (the very one mentioned on sale at BestBuy). But use with OSCAR was only incidental to my motivation--I was motivated more by providing a light-weight portable machine for personal use.

I am fortunate that I know a little about Linux -- but it's been more than 40 years since I developed software for a Unix system so my skills are hardly current! If it weren't for the web and Google search, I would be stuck.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
(02-16-2022, 08:41 PM)pholynyk Wrote: My Chromebook is an Intel CPU, and it has v 98, and when I cat /etc/debian_version I get 10.11 which is Buster..
None of us devs has an Arm64 Chromebook, so we build on a Raspberry Pi running Debian. I deliberately left it on Buster because that was what my Chromebook uses.

I got the Debian and Ubuntu builds working on OBS.
After reading your post, I enabled the aarch64 builds for Debian 10 and 11. Is that what you need?

They should be published in a few minutes, could you test them?  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR 1.3.1 on ARM Chromebook
I just installed OSCAR on an ARM Chromebook. I followed the instructions in the Chome OS Wiki and it generally went well.

Sequence of events was:
  1. Bought a $109 Acer Arm Chromebook 311.
  2. Went through setup process, connected to internet, etc.
  3. Installed Linux beta
  4. Later, machine auto-updated Chrome OS
  5. Linux identifies itself as Debian 10 Buster
Installed OSCAR from 1.3.1 download page for Arm Chromebook and all went well without any error messages. OSCAR runs, though I don't have any data available yet.

Now, I have to figure out:
  • How to get my Kingston USB SD card reader to work
  • How to get Chromebook to see shares in a Windows network
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, got the SD card associated with Linux. Create a profile, imported data, all worked smoothly. Data looks as expected.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
(02-16-2022, 04:18 PM)ST Dog Wrote: Not a dev, but the Chromebook ARM release says Debian 10.

Since the Debian release has separate packages for 10 and 11, I would assume the Chromebook releases is only for 10.

I've added Debian 10/11 aarch64 and amd64 builds to OBS: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/...scar/oscar

Could you try these?
Post Reply Post Reply
I downloaded the Debian 11 Arm package and it installs and seems to work fine with Debian 11 on an Arm Chromebook. Thanks for putting that together.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2022, 11:50 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: I am fortunate that I know a little about Linux -- but it's been more than 40 years since I developed software for a Unix system so my skills are hardly current! If it weren't for the web and Google search, I would be stuck.

I know the feeling, though not 40 yrs.
In the early 2000s I was active on Linux kernel and RedHat development lists testing new kernels/drivers and new packages. (Ever build XFree86?) Occasionally finding/reporting bugs and even a fix once or twice. Wink

But then work took too much time and a job change where I don't have my machine with me and it's been 15+ years since any of that. I haven't ran make or written a line of C in 12 years. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2022, 03:42 PM)docca Wrote: I've added Debian 10/11 aarch64 and amd64 builds to OBS: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/...scar/oscar

Could you try these?

Hopefully the OP will.

I don't have a Chromebook. I was just pointing out why I wouldn't expect the v10 build to work on v11 (comparing to the Debian releases)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR v1.5.2 Not Working on My Chromebook fixed it 4 232 03-26-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Error while installing OSCAR on Lenovo Chromebook Bodie 15 1,334 10-29-2023, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Bodie
  What version of Linux for my Chromebook? bluetangle127 1 469 10-26-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  ARM processor in Acer Chromebook LeeKopp 3 649 09-22-2021, 03:01 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  OSCAR v1.2.0 with FlashPaP and Chromebook question tonyt 8 1,191 11-16-2020, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tonyt
  OSCAR on Asus Chromebook success tonyt 2 1,047 08-18-2020, 01:11 AM
Last Post: tonyt
  Is it possible to run Oscar on Chromebook? rugo32 2 1,111 04-13-2020, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.