Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR Data vs Lookee O2 Ring
RE: OSCAR Data vs Lookee O2 Ring
(03-08-2023, 01:28 PM)jeffpack1957 Wrote: uh wait, you said small finger?  Its only to go on pointer finger or thumb.  Have you verified the perfusion index, or at least spot checked it against another oximeter?

BTW, lungs shut down to an extent overnight, which for example is why I need O2 overnight, but not during the day.,
Yes, the ring doesn't fit my larger fingers or thumb at all.  Possibly a tight fit over the finger next to my pinky, but no way on the pointer finger or thumb.  It's not even remotely possible.  It seems Lookee and Wellue make products for very small individuals.

PR is consistent among many oximeters even when the Lookee sensor is on the pinky.  I've verified against two other spot check units and a smart watch.  All within +/- 1 of each other.   Obviously spot oximeters are worn on the desired index fingers as they actually fit as they should compared to a tiny silicone band. lol

Most of my O2 readings are under 95% regardless of which finger or unit I try.  Example - wearing a standalone unit on my thumb right now - PR 53, O2: 91-92.  This is sitting down at a computer.  I'm not 100% sure how to read PI, but the indicator on the oximeter is pretty high so I assume that means adequate PI.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep in mind the 2 main factors when using an oximeter is the finger, and the patient's skin pigmentation. Callused fingers can present a challenge too. Think of the density of the fingers of a brick mason.

Here is a report on a study of the different values of different fingers:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4627972/

Study on the effects of skin pigmentation on pulse oximeter accuracy at low saturation:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15791098/
- and -
Skin Pigmentation Influence on Pulse Oximetry Accuracy: A Systematic Review and Bibliometric Analysis
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9102088/

I hope this may help.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cmpman, you have a lot of people concerned about these results. If you are also concerned, discuss wearing a holter monitor for a couple days. It is accurate and medically defensible for diagnoses and medical care.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2023, 02:28 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Cmpman, you have a lot of people concerned about these results. If you are also concerned, discuss wearing a holter monitor for a couple days. It is accurate and medically defensible for diagnoses and medical care.

I have a follow-up with my cardiologist soon to discuss the low pulse rate issue more. The doctor is aware of it.  Years ago, I did wear a holter monitor and I will bring it up again.  I am not trying to be alarming.  I'm just doing my best to understand if what I'm seeing is legit and accurate findings or just poor medical equipment flawed by outside factors.  That's the best I can do.  I am staying compliant with my doctor's plan(s) with respect to BPAP treatment and other stuff.

This is an illustration of what I'm experiencing.  Attached is a link to a 20 sec  It should be a good illustration of the fluctuations I see. 

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wnTHNbG-rMw
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2023, 02:28 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: . If you are also concerned, discuss wearing a holter monitor for a couple days. It is accurate and medically defensible for diagnoses and medical care.

A holter monitor at least would help look at the cardiac side of this equation, which we have little data other than the abnormally low HR>

Post Reply Post Reply
Cmpman, I hope you will ask the cardiologist about the night-time O2 readings you've been seeing on devices that you've worn on the correct finger. If you don't have a lot of data from such devices yet, try to generate some between now and the appointment. Or see whether this doctor will provide you with an oximeter whose results he or she would trust.
Post Reply Post Reply
I dont know if you have access to Excel, but thats what I used to chart your HR and O2.  If you dont, give me the data, and I'll chart it for you.  But I would at least bring that to the Pulmonologist . Although mine has always accepted such data from my Wellue CheckMe Oxy Max, which is just a wrist unit, thumb sensor, and its the same sensor and code as your ring.

BTW, I've gotten to the know Wellue and ViatomTech people pretty good.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2023, 03:25 PM)jeffpack1957 Wrote: I dont know if you have access to Excel, but thats what I used to chart your HR and O2.  If you dont, give me the data, and I'll chart it for you.  But I would at least bring that to the Pulmonologist .  Although mine has always accepted such data from my Wellue CheckMe Oxy Max, which is just a wrist unit, thumb sensor, and its the same sensor and code as your ring.

BTW, I've gotten to the know Wellue and ViatomTech people pretty good.

Jeffpack1957, the attached report shows an overnight pulse-ox study done 6 years ago approx.  I was on the titrated BPAP at the time of course. I am no expert reading this stuff, but is it inaccurate to believe this report showed some concerns even back then?  I don't recall any physician expressing concern over these findings.  I am trying to better understand what I should be focusing on.   I have reached out to my pulmonary doc to see if they will entertain an updated study given what I'm seeing recently. 

I assume all these 'drops' in O2 shouldn't have been happening to the degree they did if therapy was truly working as intended. This does not seem reflective of a patient with a low AHI.  I am guessing whatever it showed was not sufficient to get supplemental O2 because the suggestion/recommendation was never made.  My health has only worsened over the last six years so I don't expect a better result unless the most recent change to a ST-A machine 45 days ago cleaned up some of these events.  Only one way to find out.

The report showed I slept about 450 min.  3.5% of that total time was at a saturation of less than 90% (so 13.5 min).  2.4% was 88% of under (11 min approx).
Post Reply Post Reply
Honestly, 6 year old data is meaningless in todays discussion.  Its way way too old.  Your HR and O2 is abit of a chicken and the egg scenario, lacking data to figure out which.

As you have spikes at 95 overnight, but brief and fall back into low 90s.  So is it a cardiac issue thats dropping your o2, or these low O2 events that are triggering cardiac episodes.

We've got O2 data, but no cardiac data besides HR, thats why sleepriders suggestion of a holter monitor is excellent advice.

But going into into the meeting with your pulmonologist, with daytime and nighttime O2/HR data is of value.  Value because daytime takes apnea out of the picture, as its a variable.

Update: I decided to look at that report anyways. Now note I'm not a sleep guy, my expertise is elsewhere, but in my opinion looking at that, the treatment was a total failure and major corrections needed to happen. If I had numbers that looked like that, on treatment with BiPAP, and my doctor didnt make a big deal out of them, I'd be finding another.

Is the doctor you are seeing now the same place/Dr?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2023, 02:42 AM)jeffpack1957 Wrote: Honestly, 6 year old data is meaningless in todays discussion.  Its way way too old.  Your HR and O2 is abit of a chicken and the egg scenario, lacking data to figure out which.

As you have spikes at 95 overnight, but brief and fall back into low 90s.  So is it a cardiac issue thats dropping your o2, or these low O2 events that are triggering cardiac episodes.

We've got O2 data, but no cardiac data besides HR, thats why sleepriders suggestion of a holter monitor is excellent advice.

But going into into the meeting with your pulmonologist, with daytime and nighttime O2/HR data is of value.  Value because daytime takes apnea out of the picture, as its a variable.

Update:  I decided to look at that report anyways.  Now note I'm not a sleep guy, my expertise is elsewhere, but in my opinion looking at that, the treatment was a total failure and major corrections needed to happen.  If I had numbers that looked like that, on treatment with BiPAP, and my doctor didnt make a big deal out of them, I'd be finding another.

Is the doctor you are seeing now the same place/Dr?
I did used to see the same sleep doctor from 2008 - 2023.  He released me as a patient 45 days ago and said I'd be better served elsewhere.  I started with a new practice this week.  I have had the same pulmonary doctor and cardiologist the whole time.  The pulmonary doc is the one who ordered that overnight pulse ox study back six years ago. 

The low HR issue was never a problem until recently.  I have had holter monitors in the past, but not since the lower numbers started.  

The more I read my latest polysomnogram, the more concerned I get.  It said 'patient spent 120+ min under 88% O2 saturation despite BPAP ST treatment'.  It also said IVAPS helped, but has it based on what I am posting if any of these Lookee meters are valid?

To be clear, my HR is not in the 50s all the time but there certainly are a fair number of episodes daily.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 51 10 hours ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 63 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 66 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 404 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 145 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.