Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR Feature Request - Ability to mark wake time period and re-run statistics
OSCAR Feature Request - Ability to mark wake time period and re-run statistics
Perhaps this has been asked already but I couldn't find it. My apologies if that is the case.

Apparently, in OSCAR, most of my Obstructive Apnea events occur while I am still awake, watching TV or just laying there...and they negatively affect my AHI scores, etc.

It would be great if I could designate part of my graphical data off as "AWAKE TIME" and then have my statistics recalculated to reflect that.

Thanks!

Jack
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR Feature Request - Ability to mark wake time period and re-run statistics
That seems...weird. Your machine shouldn't be flagging an OA unless it's tens of seconds long. Unless you've got something like Cheyne-Stokes, I think you would notice an obstruction that prevents you from breathing that long!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR Feature Request - Ability to mark wake time period and re-run statistics
Maybe cuz I fiddle with the mask trying to get a comfortable seal. Maybe cuz I hold my breath during a tense moment of the tv show. I'm not sure. Who knows. 

I still think it would be a very useful ability, especially for folks who have trouble falling asleep...

J
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the OP, that would be helpful to be able to block off known awake times, but for different reasons. In my case, I would say that I am awake at least 1 to 2 hours every night that is currently being calculated into my AHI as "sleep time". My suggestion would actually increase my AHI since my sleep time would be reduced while my number of "events" would stay the same. Since I am self pay I just want the real numbers and have no concern about anyone else seeing my numbers. I know that it is possible to block off segments temporarily, but I prefer that the real numbers stored permanently.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's definitely an interesting idea, and maybe even integrating that with the supported hypnograms.

But back to the OP's specific case, having any apneas while awake would be highly unusual. How long are these apneas on the chart? Others here are more expert than I am on Resmed's flagging criteria.
Post Reply Post Reply
They're not long 11, 11, 12 and 14 seconds last night.

I've attached some graphs from last night and I marked where I fell asleep (around midnight). My respiration seems to increase but my tidal volume decreases when I fall asleep...but you can see where it recorded four OA's before I fell asleep...

Jack

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting, it looks like either you're holding your breath for 10s or you're dozing off without realizing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have experienced this issue also.  I usually read for a little time after crawling in bed, just to close out thinking about the day, etc.  I have sometimes observed some Hypopneas flagged during times I know I was awake.  Doesn't happen frequently, but it does happen.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Hypopnea is less surprising. But a full cessation of breathing while awake is a bit surprising.

@jacker22, could you zoom in on the flow graph around those OAs? Roughly a minute on either side would be useful.
Post Reply Post Reply

I'm not surprised that you score apneas while awake but shouldn't they be centrals not obstructive. Five years ago when I began my cpap journey I kept detailed sleep logs and I soon realised that most, if not all , of my apneas occurred when I was awake (or during periods of sleep/wake junk) and were scored as centrals. This always coincided with a drop in respiration rate (from ~12.5 to below 10). On a subsequent sleep-lab study the doc noticed these events but simply stated I was not asleep so it wasn't a sleep apnea event. I asked about pulse oximetry levels and he just said they were not a problem. The ability to delete these periods from the reported statistics would be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How and where to adjust local time. douglaskeene 2 82 03-23-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Time listed: Wrong end time? How to fix? Plmnb 5 201 03-08-2024, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Total Time In Apnea is missing ElUno 3 321 02-26-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  OSCAR "scrubber bar" feature? jdavis 2 229 02-22-2024, 09:42 PM
Last Post: jdavis
Question Statistics page, changes to device settings area, FL always shows 0.00? DancesWithCats 1 281 01-19-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR- How to set time change to (Daylight Savings time) Reesche 5 751 01-03-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Reesche
  Request Copy of Resmed Airsense 10 SDCard core files gedm 6 484 12-14-2023, 07:04 PM
Last Post: gedm

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.