Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR Problems with times since BST?
RE: OSCAR Problems with times since BST?
(04-07-2021, 02:34 AM)kappa Wrote: The algorithms vary between machine manufacturers. You can look at some details in table 2 of this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4629962/

ResMed seems to do a better job of detecting CA using FOT (forced oscillation technique) compared to Respironics which uses pressure pulses.

Yes FOT work better as pulse artefact

With resmed I have less error than the prisma.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2021, 03:21 AM)biorn Wrote: With resmed I have less error than the prisma.

That's quite ... uhm ... interesting, because the Prisma uses FOT as well.
By "error" you mean "events"? If so, that's normal - Löwenstein knows a lot more events than ResMed - so by definition your "AHI" will always be higher.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ratchick - to help you find the time in the data file, look at offset 0x0006, 0x0007, and 0x0008 that will correspond to hour, minute, and second. If you have a problem, let me know, and I will be glad to edit it for you.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2021, 04:01 AM)TBMx Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 03:21 AM)biorn Wrote: With resmed I have less error than the prisma.

That's quite ... uhm ... interesting, because the Prisma uses FOT as well.
By "error" you mean "events"? If so, that's normal - Löwenstein knows a lot more events than ResMed - so by definition your "AHI" will always be higher.

For me it's not FOT. Kind of yes but where is the reverberation, it's not clear as the resmed. (maybe they mix it) And the 1s frenquency is very slow.

When I say error I speak about false positive CA. The Prisma have more AHI because the resmed anticipate the obrstruction across the flow limitation.
Post Reply Post Reply
the screenshots are not really suitable for any comparison, but from the looks of it, there seems to be some (major) misconception about what you see and what you believe that means. (and how the devices operate - especially the comparison between ResMed and Löwenstein is kind of tricky as they have a bit different approaches which result in different titrations ... most likely you have SoftPAP enabled - just get rid of that (yes, really! you get used to it))
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2021, 07:21 AM)TBMx Wrote: most likely you have SoftPAP enabled - just get rid of that (yes, really! you get used to it))

What you see is not the soft pap (I hate this b...s...), it's the sort of FOT.

But it's complety different as the resmed. Like you said it's hard to compare I agree with you.

Personaly I think the prisma is a good product in term of construction's quality. stronger than the resmed and quieter.

BUT:
- bad conception of the humidifier (when heat resistence is in contact with the air, then the humidification is amplified a lot)
- no sensor in the heated hose
- softpap is like horrible (the pressure up during exhalt)
- trition is too passive

Honestly if the humidifier was better I think I didn't exchange it with an airsense. EPR is a gadget for me, it's agreable but not vital. Average of 1.5 ahi or 0.2 is not a big problem (maybe little more difference because the Prisma didn't record all events).
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2021, 07:21 AM)TBMx Wrote: the screenshots are not really suitable for any comparison, but from the looks of it, there seems to be some (major) misconception about what you see and what you believe that means.

I could explain to you how FOT works it's very easy to understand.

It's like an echo. If the airways are obstructed no echo, if CA then echo. No more complex of that.

PS. Sorry for my bad english.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2021, 04:30 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Ratchick - to help you find the time in the data file, look at offset 0x0006, 0x0007, and 0x0008 that will correspond to hour, minute, and second.  If you have a problem, let me know, and I will be glad to edit it for you.

Thanks 
Ahhh thank you, you're wonderful. All fixed now, thank you so much for your help. 

However, I've now discovered that I can't display pulse oximeter data on the same day from two manufacturers... I wish I'd known THAT before I decided to try my replacement Viatom cable on my nap after using the Contec overnight. 

I've also noticed an issue with a preference not "sticking" too - should I create a new thread for those or is it okay to discuss them here?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2021, 02:12 AM)biorn Wrote: It's hard too see the difference without sternum information. and the CPAP have lots of error about that.

In general with OA you have a hight breathing peak after the apnea and not with central. With CA you could have the amplitude of airflow reduced before the apnea or the apnea start after inhalation. OA are always after exhalation.

And you could have mixed apnea xd

Thanks for that. I did see some pictures and descriptions in the "How To Read OSCAR data" sticky which showed the bumpy tops vs a smooth sinusoidal wave. But honestly, my waves are all over the freaking place so it's just kind of a mess.

I was diagnosed primarily with Severe CSA, but with a few obstructive ones. It's just that the vast majority of them being marked on my data are when I know I'm awake, so there's usually only a handful. That said, I do have allergies and a bunch of risk factors for OSA too, so I guess it wouldn't be surprising to see a few pop up. They're pretty much always <1/hr though so I'm not too worried. I'm just waiting to see what my consultant says about (fingers crossed) a move to ASV because yeah... APAP isn't cutting it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2021, 02:34 AM)kappa Wrote: The algorithms vary between machine manufacturers. You can look at some details in table 2 of this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4629962/

ResMed seems to do a better job of detecting CA using FOT (forced oscillation technique) compared to Respironics which uses pressure pulses.

Thank you for that link. I will have a good read later, but it's definitely good to get an idea of how they work it out.  I've been assuming that the FOT is what I see during my apneas so I will dig in deeper to the technical details.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] OSCAR v1.5.2 is Install Problems millerdq 1 49 Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
Question Editing session start/end times within OSCAR jas102543 6 1,579 03-12-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: j12251225
  Problems displaying graphs on Daily page SueB 4 564 11-14-2023, 08:05 PM
Last Post: SueB
  OSCAR Problems on Mac Sonoma 14.0 kenhh 6 1,060 11-05-2023, 01:40 AM
Last Post: WW4B
  Oscar- how to change times-military time to regular time on graphs Reesche 2 806 07-11-2023, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Reesche
Question JUST NOTICED ALL MY TIMES ARE WRONG? Plmnb 18 1,050 04-01-2023, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Need help with OSCAR--several problems and can't use it SideSleeper 14 1,157 01-11-2023, 06:43 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.