Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR Profile Renaming?
OSCAR Profile Renaming?
Hi All,
I use OSCAR every day - so grateful it exists, and didn't die after Mark stepped away.  My version is 1.0.1-r-1, on Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon.

I'm using a Resmed S9 Autoset with nearly 16000 hours, and am initiating the process to upgrade to an Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset for Her.  I'll then retire the S9 to backup duty.  I know I won't want to mix S9 and S10 data in the same profile, so I was looking at renaming my current profile (alan) to something like "alan-S9".  However, I don't see any means within Oscar to change the name of an existing profile.

Does there exist such a means in OSCAR, or is there a manual method for doing this.  Perhaps creating a new profile can transfer all the current data?  I'm very comfortable using command line when needed.

If OSCAR does not currently have such a renaming feature, is it considered for a future release?

Thanks
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR Profile Renaming?
G'day Alan. No, Oscar doesn't have a means to change the profile name, as far as I know. It can probably be done by editing a bunch of files and directory names.
  • Start with profiles.xml in the Oscar data directory - find and edit the user name you want to change. You should also change the profile directory (which has the same name as the user). eg  <profile name="Alan" path="{home}/Profiles/Alan/Profile.xml"/> would become <profile name="AlanS9" path="{home}/Profiles/AlanS9/Profile.xml"/>
  • Then change the name of the directory itself
  • Then within the profile directory edit the file Profile.xml. Find the (one) occurrence of "Alan" and change it to AlanS9.

Unless there are any other locations I'm not aware of, that should do the trick.
Post Reply Post Reply
... or you could just keep your existing profile and call the new one AlanAutoset, or something like that.
Post Reply Post Reply
@DB: Thanks very much - I'll give it a try & post results.
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried this manual procedure, and overall it failed.  When I re-opened OSCAR, it recognized the renamed profile.  However, all the data I had imported into the original profile was unavailable.  When I reversed the renaming steps, all the imported data was visible again.

I assume that the profile name is somehow linked or propagated  during the importing, and the manual renaming breaks these links.

OUTCOME:  it does not work.
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you rename the user directory in the OSCAR_Data\Profiles directory?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried it and it does work and all the data is available. Same when changing it back.

I suspect my instructions weren't sufficiently clear, or there is a difference in Linux compared to Windows. Just summarising the procedure for Windows:

1. Locate your Oscar data directory, usually in c:\users\yourname\documents\Oscar_data (or similar name).

2. Within the data directory, find and edit the file profiles.xml Change all occurrence of the existing user name to the new one, including the directory link, and save the changes.

3. Go to the directory ../Oscar_data/Profiles. Find the link to the user name you want to change and change that directory name. eg ../Oscar_data/Profiles/Alan will become ../Oscar_data/Profiles/AlanS9

4. Go into the directory ../Oscar_data/Profiles/AlanS9 and locate the file Profile .xml. Edit this file to change Alan to AlanS9. Save the changes.

5. Restart Oscar and everything should work.

That's the Windows process and I have verified it does work. Obviously there will be changes for Linux but I'm not sufficiently familiar with that OS to give you any detailed directions. A thought - is Linux case-sensitive? Windows doesn't much care if I type profile.xml or Profile.xml, but Linux might have a problem with that.
Post Reply Post Reply
DB's last instruction>>>Then within the profile directory edit the file Profile.xml. Find the (one) occurrence of "Alan" and change it to AlanS9.
is not quite right. There are two lines with a name part: <FirstName type="QString"> and <UserName type="QString"> - you must change the <UserName type="QString"> line to your new profile name.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2020, 11:20 PM)pholynyk Wrote: DB's last instruction>>>Then within the profile directory edit the file Profile.xml. Find the (one) occurrence of "Alan" and change it to AlanS9.
is not quite right. There are two lines with a name part: <FirstName type="QString"> and <UserName type="QString"> - you must change the <UserName type="QString"> line to your new profile name.

Well spotted Phil. I hadn't picked up on <FirstName type="QString"> because the test data I was using didn't have the profile completed. There is also <LastName type="QString">. I believe these are both set when you complete your profile, but don't actually have any control on your actual user name or file locations. (A lot of the stuff in the profile isn't actually used by Oscar at this time).
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I tried this again, and this time it worked.

@DB:  Yes, on Linux file and pathnames are case-sensitive, unlike Windows.

pholynyk supplied the missing bit.  I had seen several lines containing "Alan in the Profile.xml file within the profile directory, but I didn't know to change the <UserName type="QString"> item to match the new profile name.

All imported data and statistics now appear as expected.

I will post a detailed procedure, now that it has succeeded.

Thanks to all for your help!
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New version doesn't find profile BlueSky1958 7 86 03-26-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  1.5.2 opens without my profile JollyJoker 2 107 03-18-2024, 11:48 AM
Last Post: JollyJoker
  Oscar profile vanished, SD card wiped clean. How? , who and why Innisfree 23 1,757 01-13-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  OSCAR Lost My Profile DNowakowski 3 612 12-09-2023, 01:34 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR 1.5 profile name dataq1 3 514 11-30-2023, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  DST ZONE SETTING WITHIN AIRSENSE 11 PROFILE ggs5 1 538 11-13-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  OSCAR Lost My Profile Poolboy 6 1,043 11-03-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Poolboy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.