Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR Questions - Leaks, Minimum Pressure and Central Apnea
OSCAR Questions - Leaks, Minimum Pressure and Central Apnea
As I have been slowly increasing my min and max pressures to try to combat the flow limitations I am experiencing I have noticed that the leak rate numbers are all over the place.  I'm assuming since I haven't had any flags that things are fine but I was wondering what the cutoff number is before a leak is flagged as bad?  

What does increasing the minimum pressure do?  Also, if I feel like I am being woken up by the pressure changes does it make sense to keep my pressure range smaller?  Right now it is set at 7.4-9.4 and I am only waking up about once an hour or two that I am aware of.

Also how long is too long for a Central Apnea event?  Is there a number in seconds that is considered dangerous or is the total sum of them from the entire night that flags an issue?

I'm just trying to understand more about how things work.  I will attach last nights data just in case it is needed for my questions.

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR Questions - Leaks, Minimum Pressure and Central Apnea
Just a few facts. To begin your numbers are quite good. 

Min pressure is the inhale pressure AND exhale pressure if you are Not using EPR. 

EPR is exhale pressure relief. It allows you to breath out at a lower than your min pressure. 

Max is the highest the machine will go to stop events. 

Now, as I said, your numbers look good BUT your flow limit are high and they can cause sleep disturbances or even wake you up 

EpR is used for comfort but is also used to fight flow limits. 

Flow limits just like C an H events (see my signature to see how apnea is graded) are apnea they are smaller and not timed. 

I would set EPR to 3 - I cannot see what it is set in your graphs.  This should make your sleeping better and reduce your waking.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot about leaks. All leaks need to be worked on BUT yours are not large. To see large leaks - right click in the left box wher the name leak rate. You will find an option to put in a dotted line. That line is the large leak. Above that line the machine can NOT treat your apnea well or not at all.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for answering staceyburke,

My flow limits have always been an issue, hoping it will either sort itself out or I can eventually persuade my Dr. for a bipap machine.  .  My AHI is pretty much below 1 all the time, EPR has always been set to 3.  Playing around with my min and max pressures to see if it will help the flow limits.  But I don't care so much about them at this time.  I've had excellent feedback on other threads that all point to me needing a bipap at some point in the future.

For now, I'm more looking to understand events, timing of events, leaks and pressure settings Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 24 542 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 282 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,515 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,398 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 612 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.