Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR and/or ResMed related question
OSCAR and/or ResMed related question
)Hi Guys,

Following another post (Different AHI results between two CPAP machines) I defined a user event flag as 50% flow restriction and 10 seconds duration. This is also ResMed definition of an Hypopnea.

Surprisingly, OSCAR detected 5 such events while ResMed detected two Hypopneas at different time. See attached screenshots. UF1 definitely looks as an Hypo to me.

"Corrected" AHI will be 2 instead of 1 for this case.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Arik

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR and/or ResMed related question
And what is the basis for a normal breath? 50% is the border between flow limitations and hypopneas. Most of the breaths in your closeup view appear to be either shallow or flow limited. What does your normal flow look like?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2019, 08:53 AM)bonjour Wrote: And what is the basis for a normal breath? 50% is the border between flow limitations and hypopneas.  Most of the breaths in your closeup view appear to be either shallow or flow limited.  What does your normal flow look like?

Hi Fred,

The attached is a typical "good" one. I noticed that even at nights with very low AHI, I still have a lot of flow limitations. Can I do something about that?

BTW, OSCAR is a GREAT application!

Thanks,
Arik
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2019, 09:22 AM)Arik Wrote:
(11-22-2019, 08:53 AM)bonjour Wrote: And what is the basis for a normal breath? 50% is the border between flow limitations and hypopneas.  Most of the breaths in your closeup view appear to be either shallow or flow limited.  What does your normal flow look like?

Hi Fred,

The attached is a typical "good" one. I noticed that even at nights with very low AHI, I still have a lot of flow limitations. Can I do something about that?

BTW, OSCAR is a GREAT application!

Thanks,
Arik
Forgot the attachment...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You have maxed out your pressure support by having EPR=3. I would set your min pressure to 7 as that will maximize your benefit at low pressures. That means your min pressures IPAP/EPAP = 7/4
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2019, 09:38 AM)bonjour Wrote: You have maxed out your pressure support by having EPR=3. I would set your min pressure to 7 as that will maximize your benefit at low pressures. That means your min pressures IPAP/EPAP = 7/4

Not sure I understand. Did you mean max pressure = 7?
Thanks,
Arik
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2019, 10:37 AM)Arik Wrote:
(11-22-2019, 09:38 AM)bonjour Wrote: You have maxed out your pressure support by having EPR=3. I would set your min pressure to 7 as that will maximize your benefit at low pressures. That means your min pressures IPAP/EPAP = 7/4

Thanks,
Arik
Your minimum pressure (IPAP) is 5. IPAP - EPR = EPAP. However, Resmed machines will never reduce the pressure below 4. So, at you minimum pressure of 5, EPR is effectively reduced to 1 (until apnea causes your pressure to rise).

However, the default minimum IPAP of 4 is too low for almost everyone except in pediatric use. Your minimum of 5 is still pretty low. As an adult, it is unlikely that you will need less than 7. Increasing your minimum pressure to 7 will leave enough room to allow EPR to function at the full requested 3 cmH2O.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2019, 10:49 AM)ragtopcircus Wrote:
(11-22-2019, 10:37 AM)Arik Wrote:

Thanks,
Arik
Your minimum pressure (IPAP) is 5. IPAP - EPR = EPAP. However, Resmed machines will never reduce the pressure below 4. So, at you minimum pressure of 5, EPR is effectively reduced to 1 (until apnea causes your pressure to rise).

However, the default minimum IPAP of 4 is too low for almost everyone except in pediatric use. As an adult, it is unlikely that you will need less than 7. Increasing your minimum pressure to 7 will leave enough room to allow EPR to function at the full requested 3 cmH2O.

Exactly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2019, 10:52 AM)bonjour Wrote:
(11-22-2019, 10:49 AM)ragtopcircus Wrote:
(11-22-2019, 10:37 AM)Arik Wrote: Not sure I understand. Did you mean max pressure = 7?
Thanks,
Arik

However, the default minimum IPAP of 4 is too low for almost everyone except in pediatric use. As an adult, it is unlikely that you will need less than 7. Increasing your minimum pressure to 7 will leave enough room to allow EPR to function at the full requested 3 cmH2O.

Exactly.
I see. Does this suppose to improve Flow Limitation?
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR = 3 and min pressure = 7 should lessen flow limitation and hypopneas, so yes, improve flow limitations.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 595 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 273 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  OSCAR says: "Resmed Airsense 10 does not record detailed data"! Really? PappaJoe 3 532 02-14-2024, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 537 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [Treatment] Oscar/ Dialing in Settings / ResMed 11 Jintyo76 2 353 01-10-2024, 11:50 PM
Last Post: Jintyo76
  [Diagnosis] Fractured sleep: Spontaneous arousal or breathing related? Twoshade 8 588 12-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Twoshade
  Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related? NorthernGuy 4 439 12-19-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.