Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR and session gap
OSCAR and session gap
Practically every night I go to bed, attach the mask, turn on the machine, and lay there while my mind slows down. Sometimes it is just a half hour, sometimes longer. What I used to do with SH, is just reach over and turn off the machine briefly then turn it back on. SH recognized the gap and divided the night into two sessions. Then I just turned off that awake session and got a more accurate data set.

OSCAR isn't doing that. The gap is there but it sees it as one session. How long does it need to be off for OSCAR to see it? Is there a setting for this? Last night I slowly counted to ten (which I guess was 8-10 seconds) and it didn't work. I don't want to have to think about it at that moment, or I wake up too far and lay there awake some more.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR and session gap
The feature that you are referring to, "Ignore Short Sessions", has been turned off in both SleepyHead 1.1.0 and OSCAR. SleepyHead 1.0.0 was the last version I could find that offered it.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I for one am hoping the session options are restored in oscar for resmed machines. however, it isn't as much of a nuisance as I initially thought: I'm not 100% sure but at the moment I believe only sessions with less than a minute between them are combined, so if you can stay awake for 1 minute before turning machine back on, your system should work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah. I can do that. The minute thing. I can turn it off and even if I go to sleep within that minute, as soon as I do nod off, the snoring will start. If I don't wake myself up, my Elbow Alarm will. But the night I fall asleep within a minute will be the night I am drugged out of my gourd.

And yeah, part of it was the "ignore short sessions" thing, but if the machine turns off, the session should be marked then restarted when the machine comes back on. And far too often, the time spent awake was too long.

And the not continuing a session after 12 is a PITA to someone like me. Luckily, though, if I do happen to sleep past noon, I just de-select that part for the next day.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Looking through the code, I see that the session gap is hard coded at 60 seconds. Any gap shorter will be combined.

On a related note, very short sessions will be dropped (in the next release). More exactly, any session where the mask on minute is the same as the mask off minute (according to the machine clock) will be silently dropped.

I'm not sure what the side-effects of re-instating the short gap as session divider would be, but I'll keep it in mind as work on the Resmed loader.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay. So if I want it available for turning off (the awake session), it has to be 61 seconds or longer. Gotcha.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
That worked, btw. Thought I'd update. I wait at least 1 minute (used both a timer and counted to 90) and it divided the session. Thanks folks!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Editing session start/end times within OSCAR jas102543 6 1,581 03-12-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: j12251225
  Not all session data is imported clan 21 2,215 12-01-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  Issue: Oscar imported session partially alexroz 3 557 11-04-2023, 04:15 AM
Last Post: alexroz
  Session Preferences srlevine1 0 426 10-24-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
Thumbsdown DreamStation 2 Session Info - Phantom Disconnects Wizard99 24 2,508 10-02-2023, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  How does OSCAR decide what day a session belongs to? anobono 2 679 06-22-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: anobono
  Remove imported session from OSCAR? Cuppa 2 552 03-16-2023, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Cuppa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.