Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR: cannot change AHI/hour Time Window
OSCAR: cannot change AHI/hour Time Window
Changing this setting is disabled in preferences and there does not seem to be a checkbox or some such to enable changes.

Since clinical diagnosis requires a 2 hours window, it seems to me that 2 hrs would make more sense. Also this is long enough to encompass a typical sleep-cycle plus some padding, so it can give better idea of whether you are getting through entire sleep cycles (all stages of sleep) with low AHI.

The tooltip strongly recommends against changing the time window and keeping it at 60 minutes.

Is there a justification for why 60 minutes is preferred over any other time window. In particular why would 60 minutes be better than 120 minutes?

Is there a way to enable changing this parameter?

Maybe I am just unaware of some recent research or clinical definitions/standards.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR: cannot change AHI/hour Time Window
AFAIK the Indexes are defined as incidents per hour. OSCAR shows the final AHI as the arithmetic mean over the total hours, but also has a "sliding" average graph at the bottom of the daily page.
Can you give a reference for that 2 hours time period?
Arie KLERK: Member of the Dutch Apnea Association staff (https://apneuvereniging.nl) and proud to be the OSCAR Translations Team Coordinator. 
***Please help us: We’re always looking for more translators and language editors***

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients, but just dedication to AB. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you referring to the "AHI/Hour Graph Window" on the File/Preferences/CPAP page?  That value affects only the AHI graph, which is usually seen only when you scroll down to the last of the graphs. It does not affect any index calculations.

Most people think this graph is not very useful.

However, if you really want to see what this graph looks like with a different value for this variable, you will need to edit the profile.xml file in the folder for your profile (OSCAR_Data/Profiles/your profile).  Search for the line that says "<AHIWindow type="double">60</AHIWindow>" and change the number to 120 (or whatever number you like as long as it is larger than 30).
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2021, 03:42 PM)GuyScharf Wrote: Are you referring to the "AHI/Hour Graph Window" on the File/Preferences/CPAP page?  That value affects only the AHI graph, which is usually seen only when you scroll down to the last of the graphs. It does not affect any index calculations.

Most people think this graph is not very useful.

However, if you really want to see what this graph looks like with a different value for this variable, you will need to edit the profile.xml file in the folder for your profile (OSCAR_Data/Profiles/your profile).  Search for the line that says "<AHIWindow type="double">60</AHIWindow>" and change the number to 120 (or whatever number you like as long as it is larger than 30).

Yes, that is the preference setting I am talking about.

I have a lot of waking/transition apneas, so the overall session AHI is not helpful.

The graph is more useful to see at a glance what kind of AHI I was getting over all possible time windows (of a given size).

Thanks for the tip on the .ini file.

I still wonder why the setting is shown but disabled in the preferences window, and why the tooltip so strongly recommends against changing it from the 60 minutes setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2021, 06:38 PM)PurchanceToDream Wrote: I still wonder why the setting is shown but disabled in the preferences window, and why the tooltip so strongly recommends against changing it from the 60 minutes setting.

I don't know the history. I suspect that at one time SleepyHead either enabled this option or intended to do so in the future. But it was disabled as it is now when OSCAR was forked from SleepyHead.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still wonder where the 2hour window comes from. Who uses that?
Arie KLERK: Member of the Dutch Apnea Association staff (https://apneuvereniging.nl) and proud to be the OSCAR Translations Team Coordinator. 
***Please help us: We’re always looking for more translators and language editors***

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients, but just dedication to AB. 
Post Reply Post Reply
These are just rolling averages, and is a pretty simple concept. As Guy says, most people don't find it particularly useful, but it was originally conceived by Palerider to help see variability of AHI through the night. I think it was never fully developed and refined. Anyway Palerider could probably speak best to what the vision for this was.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2021, 02:09 PM)PurchanceToDream Wrote: Changing this setting is disabled in preferences and there does not seem to be a checkbox or some such to enable changes.

Since clinical diagnosis requires a 2 hours window, it seems to me that 2 hrs would make more sense. Also this is long enough to encompass a typical sleep-cycle plus some padding, so it can give better idea of whether you are getting through entire sleep cycles (all stages of sleep) with low AHI.

The tooltip strongly recommends against changing the time window and keeping it at 60 minutes.

Is there a justification for why 60 minutes is preferred over any other time window. In particular why would 60 minutes be better than 120 minutes?

Is there a way to enable changing this parameter?

Maybe I am just unaware of some recent research or clinical definitions/standards.

I still wonder where you have seen this:  clinical diagnosis requires a 2 hours window ?

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2021, 10:07 AM)A KLERK Wrote: I still wonder where you have seen this:  clinical diagnosis requires a 2 hours window ?

I just recall reading it some years ago, I think in the context of insurance requirements to receive treatment.

Googling for it now, the references I find to "2 hours" all have something to do with a split study -- you need 2 hours of qualifying AHI in the first part of the study before switching to titration. Maybe back in the day I misread something that was also referring to this.

I'm interested in 2 hours because it is a large enough span to encompass a full sleep cycle plus some "padding".
Post Reply Post Reply
Good enough, as you already saw that the possibility to change the timespan is already in a settings file...
But I would like to emphasize that it's not so much the timespan, but in the end the oxygen desaturation that ruins people's health. So I always suggest to look for clusters and high-rising AHI over a short time span. 
Best of all is a continuous pulse saturation measurement after all...
Just my two Eurocents...

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 17 1 hour ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  How and where to adjust local time. douglaskeene 2 85 03-23-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Time listed: Wrong end time? How to fix? Plmnb 5 202 03-08-2024, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Total Time In Apnea is missing ElUno 3 325 02-26-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  OSCAR- How to set time change to (Daylight Savings time) Reesche 5 754 01-03-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Reesche
  Time adjust BlueSky1958 0 417 12-10-2023, 08:05 AM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  Oscar Time Display Discrepancy BeardedPAP 2 662 11-25-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: CWest

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.