Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR data management
OSCAR data management
I am an OSCAR new user. I have read data from my SD card, viewed and printed reports from my machine with no problems. I have some questions about saving data and clearing out my SD card and have not found the info I need in the manual. The data on my SD card is critical so I am reluctant to learn by experimenting.
1. Does OSCAR save the data once it is imported? If so where are the files located?
2. What is a Backup Journal? Is this an index to backup files? How does one create a backup. No option found to SAVE data
3. What is the " Rebuild CPAP Data" command used for?
4. The "Purge all machine data" command purges the data on a SD card or the data on mu hard drive?
5. What is the typical process for data management? Import data, View reports, Backup data (to save on HD), Clear SD card (PC file manager), Return SD card to machine to continue collecting data.

I thought about posting under OSCAR, but did not see an option to POST.

Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR data management
First, OSCAR does not delete or remove any data from the SD card. It only reads the data.

I have listed my responses to match your questions.
  1. Oscar saves the raw data in the OSCAR_Data directory under the user profile name.  A typical path to the backup data is (for Windows):
    C:\users\UserName\Documents\OSCAR_Data\Profiles\UserName\ResMed_SerialNumber\Backup
  2. This backup procedure is automatic every time you import data.

3. The Backup Journal refers to the option to export, in XML format, all notes you have entered.  The Notes tab can be found (on the leftside) in the Daily screen (Details / Events / Notes / Bookmarks .  All data is automatically saved.

4. Rebuild CPAP Data - Occasionally your data may get corrupted, this option allows for rebuilding OSCAR's database.

5. Purge Data - This removes the CPAP data from OSCAR's database only.  It does not affect your SD card's data.

6. Typical Process -
    1. Copy the SD card to a dedicated directory on your computer.  This is for data safety.  SD cards can go bad in a heartbeat.  Backing up the data on your computer assures that the raw data is always preserved.

2. Import data into OSCAR either from the SD card or from your dedicated directory.

3. View Reports

4. Drink some coffee Smile - and think about your results.

5. If you need to take a screenshot for posting here, use the F12 key. You will be prompted where to save this PNG file.

6. Prior to removing the SD card from the computer, use the "Eject or Remove" command.  The "eject" will be an option if you are viewing the card's drive letter in Windows File Explorer and "remove" if you are using the USB - Safely Remove Hardware from the Systray.

Please review the links in my signature for a better understanding of OSCAR.

I also moved your thread/post over to the Software forum.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Generally, never clear the data off your SD card. Just put the SD card back in your CPAP machine after you have imported data into OSCAR. Your machine will keep adding data for new nights to your card. One reason for not clearing the card is that if for some reason you should lose your hard drive or the OSCAR database and its backup, or you want to install OSCAR_Data on a different computer, you can rebuild the OSCAR data from the SD card.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice! I somehow missed your reply before I erased all the data on my card. I did, however, retain a copy of the card on my  hard drive, which I periodically backup. Your response triggered another question: What happens when the card is filled with data, does it scroll off the older data? I am not too concerned about data from four or five years ago. I'm not sure why I would want to go back that far. Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Very Helpful Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2021, 03:38 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote:
    1. If you need to take a screenshot for posting here, use the F12 key.  You will be prompted where to save this PNG file.

2. Prior to removing the SD card from the computer, use the "Eject or Remove" command.  The "eject" will be an option if you are viewing the card's drive letter in Windows File Explorer and "remove" if you are using the USB - Safely Remove Hardware from the Systray.

...2 notes for mac users...

-- On a mac you take a screenshot by holding down shift-command-4 (which you may think of as command-$ because you are holding down the shift key). (The command key is sometimes called the "splat" key because ⌘ looks like a bug that hit your windshield.) To take a screenshot of a rectangular area, you click-hold-drag over the area you want. To take a screenshot of an entire window, hit the spacebar and the window under your cursor will highlight and then if you click it will screenshot the entire window. HOWEVER -- I have noticed that if you take a screenshot of the entire OSCAR window with spacebar-click vs click-dragging to get virtually all of the window, the spacebar-click image is significantly larger in file size. Oh, and on a mac the screenshots show up in your Desktop with date and time on the screenshot as the file name.

-- On a mac the easiest way to eject the card is to click the eject symbol next to the device name in the Finder sidebar. If you are using a file on the flash drive the mac won't let you eject it. (It brings up an error panel) If you just rip the flash card out of the drive slot then you might damage an open file -- and the mac will scold you with an alert panel if you do this. However in my 35 years as a mac user I've never actually damaged a file that way -- and if you have write-protected your flash drive I thinks it's also safe. (The standard advice here is to slide the write-protect door on the flash drive before connecting to your computer. A modern mac won't write any files on the drive without you explicitly doing the write, so it's safe to put the drive in without write-protecting it. I have a stupid habit of forgetting to make the drive writeable before putting it back in the CPAP, so I don't generally write protect it. Oh-jeez )

Modern macs don't have flash drive ports so you will be using a dongle or series of dongles to read your card. (I've got a USB-C to USB-A adapter and then a 4-port USB3 hub plugged into that, and then a USB-A flash drive reader plugged into one of the four ports and my USB-A from my contec 50F plugged into another port. Looks like Frankenstein hanging out the side of my laptop, LOL.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Re: A full SD card - it depends on the machine. Some will just erase the older data in a rolling pattern. Others might wipe the whole card and start over. This is why, for safety sake as well as monitoring my health, I make sure to copy my data over every day.

As an example, my stepfather has severe COPD and is on BiPAP at night and sometimes during the day. He had to send his data card to the hospital during the pandemic and they were supposed to return it within a few days. It went missing and a card was finally returned over 6 weeks later. I finally persuaded my parents to install OSCAR this week - turns out they sent them someone else's data card complete with their data prior to the start of this year. So all of the previous data is gone now (not to mention we've discovered a MASSIVE privacy violation). Definitely back up your data, ideally in more than one place.
Post Reply Post Reply
I second Ratchick's advice about the backup. And as far as taking the card or sending the card to the doctor, you should definitely make a copy onto a new card and send a different physical card. Since most computers only have one SD slot, the way that you make a copy is to copy the original to the computer, put the original back in the cpap, and then put a new flash card into the computer and copy from computer to new flash card. That way you end up with a 3rd copy on your computer!

A little trick is after you've made your copy, put the copy into the cpap as a test to make sure that the cpap is happy with it. On a ResMed, this will update the settings and the files will have the latest timestamps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, that too. Thankfully, my mother did put a second card in, at least, and so they didn't lose the data from the period it was sent off. But next time, at least I know that they will have at least two backups of it now!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR not recognising SD card data from BMC alid 4 39 6 hours ago
Last Post: alid
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 83 Yesterday, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Trouble importing data to Oscar bubbafoxus 2 91 03-22-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: bubbafoxus
  OSCAR Profiles and Combining Different Brand CPAP Data StratCat48 2 49 03-22-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Where Oscar put the data file? Rosacer24 0 60 03-22-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Rosacer24
  There's 1.5 years of data in my OSCAR, but now there's a problem Snackers 8 227 03-19-2024, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  OSCAR v1.5.2- error code 5, unable to write to data directory sleepynotion 2 109 03-18-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: sleepynotion

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.