Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR graphs
OSCAR graphs
Assuming it's appropriate, I'm starting a thread with my OSCAR results. Note that I'm brand new to CPAP usage and don't have any home sleep test results yet.

These are graphs from last three nights. No graphs for first two nights because of 3 attachment limit. First night AHI was 22.77, next night was 15.09. 

Current status is, not real comfortable with the Resmed F30i because of leakage at corners of my mouth. Overall though, I feel like the couple of nights where I was able to reduce leakage by side sleeping, I actually did feel better in the morning. My wife agrees, she said I was not as grumpy in the morning. Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR graphs
I don’t think you can do anything until you get the leak rate fixed. Looks like you are sleeping with your mouth open. Your machine can not work like that, no pressure is able to open up your obstruction because it is going out your mouth. There are ways to stop that. 1. Collar2 full face mask 3 tapping your mouth. However you do it you have to fix it before Cpap will work.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I just noticed my attachments have popups showing. Next time I screenshot I'll make sure those don't appear.

I'm assuming the lower the leak rate, the better, but what is typical? What leak rate should I be aiming for?
Post Reply Post Reply
(Stacey -- the F30i is a full face mask.)

That's an enormously high leak rate, for any mask, and does prevent your CPAP machine from doing its job. You can try tightening the mask straps. I have found on the F30 that the straps need to be fairly tight to prevent leaking at the corners of the mouth. Even then, I have to be careful not to grin while wearing the mask or it will start leaking. You get used to that though.

If you have a wide mouth, you may need a different mask. If you can't resolve the leak, speak with your provider about what other mask might be more suitable.

Also, check that all hose connections are secure and that there isn't a leak somewhere between the machine and you. The humidifier tank also needs to be firmly seated.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you right click on the left side of the leak graph (the name) it gives you options of a dashed line. I’m not at my computer but one of the options is a dashed line for the normal leak rate for your mask. You need to tell the Cpap machine which mask type you use. All masks have a normal leak rate to get rid of CO2.. but yes the lower the better.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
1 thing you may try a graph edit so you can track this better on OSCAR is adding a red line at 24 L/min which is the ResMed large leak threshold. At least it'll help you track it a bit.

On the large leaks and the overwhelming amount of these, either the mask isn't sealing or you're leaking a lot out of your mouth. Some here have used chin straps to keep their mouth closed. Others use tape. And still others try and succeed at the tongue suck method to keep the base of your tongue sealing the air passage. If none of these are successful, a full face mask would be a good idea. With leaks this high, the PAP will not be able to compensate or provide therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2020, 06:15 PM)tonyt Wrote: I'm assuming the lower the leak rate, the better, but what is typical? What leak rate should I be aiming for?

The maximum leak that the ResMed machines can support without affecting its performance is 24 lpm.  Ideally, you would want your median leak rate (in left column) to be close to zero.  Larger leaks should be short-lasting, not all night long like yours.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry I should have added any time you leak rate is above the dashed line your machine is unable to give enough pressure to control your obstruction.  Just got back to my computer so I thought I would add my latest OSCAR, my problem I have been working on is leak rate also.  You can see the dashed line...  It shows I have mouth leaks also and although most are under 24% they are still worrisome.  We all have areas to improve on and it is a continuing battle for all of us.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2020, 06:23 PM)GuyScharf Wrote: If you have a wide mouth, you may need a different mask.  If you can't resolve the leak, speak with your provider about what other mask might be more suitable.

I've been told I have a big mouth...now I know what they meant!  Grin

Yes, I definitely notice that when I smile or even open my mouth just slightly with the mask on the leakage increases. A chin strap helps a bit as does tightening the mask straps, but when I get them tight enough it gets to be uncomfortable. Thoughts on wider masks? I do like the nose interface of the f30i btw.

Thanks!

(08-14-2020, 06:27 PM)staceyburke Wrote: If you right click on the left side of the leak graph (the name) it gives you options of a dashed line. 

Found it, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Tony, as you know you need to fix the leaks.
Two main reasons for leaks are
1. Too Tight and thus actually causing a leak.  View the manufacturers video for fitting your mask to learn how it should fit.
2. You have the wrong mask, it does not fit your face.

Read the Mask Primer (see my signature) there are several articles there on masks and leaks.

If you think you can keep your big mouth shut (sorry, I had to say that, no disrespect meant or intended) try a nasal mask such as ResMed's P10 Pillows.  Read the section in the Mask Primer on Mouth Breathing.  This mask is very minimalistic and as such easily seals and if you are a mouth breather we just have to shut that down.  Do note that many 'mouth breathers' automatically resort to nasal only breathing under cpap pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 245 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,046 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Treatment] What Do My Graphs Mean? | OSCAR TiredTim 27 1,488 02-12-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  'Near-perfect' flowrate graphs CPAPnerd 7 431 02-11-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Central apnea, graphs' meaning and ASV machine settings GT26 4 248 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: GT26
Idea New CPAP Oscar Help Graphs triquetralark482 0 191 02-07-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: triquetralark482
  First time PAP user. Need help interpreting graphs. kayblitz 6 351 02-02-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: kayblitz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.