Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR import of Dreem 2 CSV data
RE: OSCAR import of Dreem 2 CSV data
(03-06-2020, 04:04 PM)stewart11 Wrote: Regarding DREEM sleep position data, they don't seem open to putting it in their downloadable files.  I really wanted to get it though so I signed up for their research program and bought the $600 special version of their headband that permits downloading ALL the raw data. 

Interesting; I didn't know that was possible!

What leads you to conclude they "don't seem open"?

I don't have any inside info that they are interested. But they did add the sleep staging data based on input from people like me, and they have solicited requests for more data export.

I was actually more interested in spo2 data, though, which they also should be able to export.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
For browsing edf files, I can recommend the EDFbrowser: https://www.teuniz.net/edfbrowser/

The basic format description is at http://www.edfplus.info/
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I know they have not changed the sleep state format since before DREEM-2 first came out, it's still [WAKE WAKE WAKE etc etc] stored as a really long text string. Before I figured out how to change their format to the ZEO integer style they did convert a month's worth my data to integers  but said it was a one-time thing and I couldn't ask for it again.  When I signed up for the research program I asked if I would be able to get spO2 info in the raw data but they said that since both the regular and IR pulse sensors were located in the scalp area it was't going to be possible to get reliables spO2 info from them.  Fingertip or earlobe gadgets remain the best source for  spO2.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2020, 05:26 PM)stewart11 Wrote: As far as I know they have not changed the sleep state format since before DREEM-2 first came out, it's still [WAKE WAKE WAKE etc etc] stored as a really long text string. Before I figured out how to change their format to the ZEO integer style they did convert a month's worth my data to integers  but said it was a one-time thing and I couldn't ask for it again.  When I signed up for the research program I asked if I would be able to get spO2 info in the raw data but they said that since both the regular and IR pulse sensors were located in the scalp area it was't going to be possible to get reliables spO2 info from them.  Fingertip or earlobe gadgets remain the best source for  spO2.

Ah, OK; good to know.

Note, in case this wasn't already clear: pre-release OSCAR code (available via the gitlab master repo) will import Dreem hypogram data from their CSV export; no longer any need to convert it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to know about the pre-release version of OSCAR. I couldn't fine it on the gitlab master repository, can you give me any more info on how I can download it? -Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure if they've publicly released any of the pre-releases. I build it from the gitlab source code.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi
Has anyone managed to view Dreem EEG data on a Windows platform.
I have 3 sample night's raw data in both EDF and H5 formats, but the Windows EDF viewers I've tried so far don't recognise the data format.
Having unpacked and downloaded the EDF tar.gz archives, none of the filenames have a .edf suffix. The files are all clearly named to indicate what they do contain, but all have a .data suffix.
I'm guessing they are intended only for use with the Dreem Viewer software.

I haven't yet attempted to do anything with the H5 versions of the same data.

Grateful for any suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2021, 08:02 AM)davidcmoors Wrote: Hi
Has anyone managed to view Dreem EEG data on a Windows platform.
I have 3 sample night's raw data in both EDF and H5 formats, but the Windows EDF viewers I've tried so far don't recognise the data format.

David, you are probably working on matters above my level. But I offer this, though it may be irrelevant to you.

Oscar routinely imports the CSV file produced by Dreem 2 for me using Windows 10. Very straight forward and simple--unless you open the CSV file with Excel before doing the import.

Excel (my 2010 version, anyway) inserts an additional row ending or line feed item which OSCAR will not tolerate. I tried doing edits in Excel to synch times before doing the OSCAR import and that extra invisible item gave me fits. 

Crimson Nape identified the problem for me. If I must edit the CSV, I do it in NotePad++ and save the file as Text (or CSV, not sure which it was). NP++ has a feature for viewing the hidden line feed, carriage returns, etc.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply. I asked my question in this thread, as it was the only one I found that referred to Dreem.

My issue is not to do with the data exported from the phone app.

I had a faulty new Dreem 2, where the bluetooth and wi-fi failed after 2 weeks, and it was replaced under warranty.

Both the original and the replacement reported a very long sleep onset delay of up to 2 hours a couple of times a week, and occasionally an early wake time, where in both cases the detailed Rescan data from my CPAP machine suggests I was asleep, as there was raised pressure at the those times, and I'm pretty sure I was actually asleep.

In order to help determine if these issues were due to another faulty device, or maybe poor EEG signal due to hair growth or head movement, Dreem support supplied me with the raw data for 3 sample nights, one with a normal sleep pattern, one with very long sleep onset, and one with very early awakening.
They provided 2 versions of the same data, one supposedly in EDF format and the other H5. They are not able to offer any help to analyse it, and I'd not expected they would. I'd thought that Polyman or another EDF viewer would probably work with EDF files after a bit of tweaking.

The EDF version doesn't seem to be EDF at all, as none of the extracted files have a .edf file extension. It looks like proprietary data that might be intended for use with the Dreem Viewer used with their research product. A couple of those files are JSON format and seem to contain the Dreem device settings. The other files can't be read or format checked by any EDF compatible software I've tried. Their file extensions are mostly .data and .info.

I haven't attempted to view the H5 data yet, as normally that would normally require specific software and a matching data schema designed to work together.

One of the guys who responded to an earlier post indicated they had a Dreem research subscription, and I hoped they might be able to advise what raw data format is normally used, and if it is EDF, or if not, what software is compatible with the H5 format.
Post Reply Post Reply
Having spent some more time on it...

The Dreem clinical trial report comparing the device performance with PSG suggests that both manual PSG scoring and Dreem algorithm are least accurate when differentiating wakefulness from light sleep, and more accurate in differentiating other sleep stages, so that might explain the unexpectedly long sleep onset time.

Sleep onset time in Dreem has reduced since cutting my hair, with no recurrences of the 2 hours or so experienced previously.

I signed up for a 1 month free trial of Matlab software. Can import Dreem H5 format EEG and any other raw data and do calculations on it, after a few hours following the tutorials. I now need to work out what calculations are actually needed :-)

Still hoping for an answer from someone on the question of EDF data from Dreem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 77 Today, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Rescan app [doesn't see data import] kerm007 3 141 03-24-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Trouble importing data to Oscar bubbafoxus 2 88 03-22-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: bubbafoxus
  OSCAR Profiles and Combining Different Brand CPAP Data StratCat48 2 49 03-22-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Where Oscar put the data file? Rosacer24 0 59 03-22-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Rosacer24
  There's 1.5 years of data in my OSCAR, but now there's a problem Snackers 8 222 03-19-2024, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  OSCAR v1.5.2- error code 5, unable to write to data directory sleepynotion 2 106 03-18-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: sleepynotion

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.