Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR install problem on Mac
RE: OSCAR install problem on Mac
(02-16-2020, 03:28 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
Litehart1 Wrote:I can click on File then Edit Profile and for what pops up I can start creating a profile BUT unable to give it a User Name or password. I can choose country and etc.

To create a new profile or select an existing one you need to click on the Profiles tab...

[Image: 850px-OSCAR_Create_profile.PNG]

Yes understand all of that, however the entire vertical portion below the OSCAR logo is greyed out. Toward the top center of the OSCAR app there are 2 choices "Profile and Statistics" my view is on Profile. Below that everything is greyed out (Filter and then the string of tabs Profile Ventilator etc.). Even though when launching OSCAR it asks and I accept default place (Documents) for it to store4 data, in Finder it does NOT show that OSCAR has created a data folder. I am really stuck here!

To repeat what I had done for this first time install: 1st on Mac desktop I was successful and created a profile (DL OSCAR DMG file size of 16.7MB; put in Applications etc. and after letting OSCAR create data folder upon 1st opening of app it showed You must create a profile jsut below area with yo9ur red arrow. Since I realized that I'd probably be wanting OSCAR first thing in morning as a newbie to my ASV device,  2nd I decided to put OSCAR on Mac laptop ...
Since in doing the install on laptop did not allow access to or allow creation of a Profile I then uninstalled on desktop by dragging app to trash. Back on laptop I found the inappropriate Edit Profile, and tried what Jeff suggested of clicking Profiles in the right panel which again is the wrong area to use. You point to the correct area in OSCAR but eveything is greyed out.

Macos is Mojave 10.14.6 . I will check but I doubt that any kin of firewall is blocking OSCAR but I will check that.

On laptop I have uninstalled OSCAR and started from scratch (meaning DL again, etc.) still no luck. {Initially in forum I was having problem editing a post so ended up with multiple posts to describe the sequence above.
Post Reply Post Reply
Firewall is "off" so that is not the issue. OSCAR is most recent 1.0.1-r-1 and using OpenGL.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK solved but bizarre. I restored from Trash the Data folder that has initially been created but was deleted when I uninstalled OSCAR. While all areas were still greyed out in OSCAR, I clicked as I had done before on the greyed out New Profile icon which opened a profile popup that I just added a user name to and then saved it. I am finally at a Welcome screen so should be good from here.
Post Reply Post Reply
To moderator ... I'd suggest deleting this thread. My install issue was pretty bizarre and I doubt would be of any value to anyone who is having a Mac install issue, and would most likely waste their time in reading it. I am very grateful to this forum and just want to keep it as useful as possible for others.
Post Reply Post Reply
Liteheart1,
Actually, you are incorrect in assuming that this thread is of no value to anyone.  I've been following and find it interesting, although I'm not able to offer a suggestion.

Many folk read these threads and may be experiencing some of the same problems.  So hang in there.  I'm sure some of our OSCAR people will be able to help.  

I was going to suggest, however, that if you could take a Screenshot or screen capture of the profile page (where you say the info is grayed out) may help.  This is the same image that DeepBreathing posted above.

Seeing the difference or seeing actually what you are describing may be helpful for the OSCAR team to analyze.

Edit:  I see you solved the problem.  So, another reason not to delete a thread.  Like I said, others may experience the same problem and be able to learn from your experience.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2020, 02:13 AM)Jeff8356 Wrote: That's odd.  I just D/L the current version and it shows 16.9 MB, but the same version I have from a previous d/l a month ago shows 21.9 MB.  Maybe it's a server issue?

Another thing to check is if OSCAR has permission to access your Documents folder.  Go to System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy
In the left pane scroll down to Files and Folders.  In the right pane scroll down to OSCAR and double check that it has access to your Documents folder. If you are running OSCAR from your Desktop (instead of Applications) then it may need permission for that also.

Jeff8356,

Thank you so much for this tip about permission. I updated my Mac with Catalina recently and it was driving me crazy that Oscar couldn't/wouldn't access the said folders. I had to recreate a profile and re-import the whole data every time. Needless to say, I was exasperated to the point of not using Oscar anymore.

So thanks again, it's nice to have such knowledge to tap into ! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
We haven't done a lot of testing with Catalina, so this is now on our radar to check and document. I'm a little surprised you didn't get a permission prompt from the OS? Or maybe you did and we hadn't documented it, so you clicked "Deny" and the above is how to undo that denial?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sawinglogz,

When I installed Catalina a few weeks ago, I got prompted by some applications for permissions on folders. These were specifically photo treatment software since I don't have anything except a few browsers on this machine. Oscar never prompted me for anything.

I can recreate and document this if you would like me to do so. If you need me to test anything else with this OS, let me know as I would be happy to assist.

Have a nice day !
Post Reply Post Reply
@sawinglogz, I put a fresh copy of Catalina in a VM to see what the results would be for a new install of OSCAR.  First, I had no issues with Gatekeeper other than the usual warning about OSCAR being d/l from the internet.  After OSCAR is installed, if the user clicks "Do not allow" when asked for OSCAR to access a folder/removable drive, an unchecked entry is made in "System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Files and Folders" like so:

If they try to access the folder/drive after that OSCAR give the warning about no data being found at that location.  The user would need to tick that box in order to access the data.

If the user gives permission from the start, and OSCAR is installed in /Applications, the following will show:

If the user installs OSCAR on the Desktop (instead of Applications) you get the following:

Other entries would appear if other folders were used.

Note: this was done using an external USB SD card reader, not the one built into my Mac.  Results may vary....
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2020, 07:31 PM)Galix Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 02:13 AM)Jeff8356 Wrote: That's odd.  I just D/L the current version and it shows 16.9 MB, but the same version I have from a previous d/l a month ago shows 21.9 MB.  Maybe it's a server issue?

Another thing to check is if OSCAR has permission to access your Documents folder.  Go to System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy
In the left pane scroll down to Files and Folders.  In the right pane scroll down to OSCAR and double check that it has access to your Documents folder. If you are running OSCAR from your Desktop (instead of Applications) then it may need permission for that also.

Jeff8356,

Thank you so much for this tip about permission. I updated my Mac with Catalina recently and it was driving me crazy that Oscar couldn't/wouldn't access the said folders. I had to recreate a profile and re-import the whole data every time. Needless to say, I was exasperated to the point of not using Oscar anymore.

So thanks again, it's nice to have such knowledge to tap into ! Smile

I just tested this on a fresh Catalina (10.15.4) installation, and it never said anything about allowing OSCAR to access the Documents folder. And OSCAR was able to read/write from Documents/OSCAR_Data without any problems. (I did see the prompt to allow access to removable drives.)

Did either of you have some additional security option enabled? Or did you have OSCAR installed (and allowed via Gatekeeper) before upgrading to Catalina?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] OSCAR v1.5.2 is Install Problems millerdq 1 62 03-27-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  There's 1.5 years of data in my OSCAR, but now there's a problem Snackers 8 227 03-19-2024, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  problem downloading OSCAR SOFTWARE Bailey104 1 91 03-15-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR Windows Portable No-Install CraigKevin 17 2,410 03-14-2024, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Ossy01
Question Failed drive, now cannot install or uninstall Oscar jmac862 8 743 01-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: SGKent
  Can't install Oscar. Ficklid22 14 1,577 11-13-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Problem Downloading Oscar 1.5.1 itchy365 5 564 10-17-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.