Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR is Lost
OSCAR is Lost
I have looked/searched all over the Boards and probably missed the problem that I am having with a new install of OSCAR. First a little background. I have been using OSCAR since the day it was first released and SleepyHead for a few years before. Both are still working on my secondary computer and work fine. Now the problem.

My main computer has hit with a virus last week that deleted many folders/programs/data but left other programs alone. The virus deleted all my backup data that was stored on two external hard drives (all data files were saved because of cloud backup and my redundant secondary computer).

OSCAR was deleted as was its data files. I have been slowly rebuilding my computer but have hit a hard wall with OSCAR. I have an SSD as my "C" drive and a large internal hard drive that is my "D" drive. I want to install OSCAR on my "C" drive with the data files that have been recovered from my working backup computer stored on my "D" drive.

Even though I have installed OSCAR multiple times (two computers, Windows 10 upgrade trashing a hard drive, etc.) without any problems, I have had no luck this time. I installed OSCAR numerous times (~12) using different configurations and at no time will it allow be to point it to the recovered data files no matter how I try to install it (as described above, or both OSCAR and data on same drive either C or D). It always opens up on a screen that will allow me to create a new user which I do not want to do, but it will not allow me to point it to the huge data file next to it. There was one install when a window opened up briefly that had a message about pointing it to an existing file (I do not remember the wording because it disappeared before I had a change to get back to it after being distracted for a couple minutes).

Since I have installed OSCAR without problems several times, I must be missing something this time. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR is Lost
There are two ways to accomplish this.  Only one of them is needed.
  1. Type: OSCAR --datadir D:\OSCAR_Data (or wherever you want the directory)

2. The old school way; Regedit ⇾ HKCU\Software\OSCAR_Team\OSCAR\Settings ⇾ AppData (Edit its location).
It seems to help to have the directory already created at the desired location prior to executing either of the above steps.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Crimson Nape for your suggestions, but I am lost on how I do what you suggest. (For simplicity, the last time that I installed OSCAR I put it on the "D" drive with the data file.

1. Where do I type your first suggestion?
2. I guess the old way is to edit the Registry, which I am not comfortable doing or have any special edit tools to do so.

Any other suggestions? I really do not know why I never had trouble before. I know that at least one time that I had to do a complete reinstall (then the data files from my external hard drives).
Post Reply Post Reply
1st Option:
  1. Open a command prompt (DOS) window. (Windows Key + R, then type, cmd, and press enter.)
  2. CD to: C:\Program Files\OSCAR
  3. Type the command, OSCAR --datadir D:\OSCAR_Data  (or whatever path you wish to use)
  4. Press Enter - OSCAR should start

2nd Option:
  1. Windows Key + R, then type, regedit, and press enter.
  2. Navigate to: HKey_Current_User ⇾ Software ⇾ OSCAR_Team ⇾ OSCAR ⇾ Settings.
  3. Look on the right side for the entry, "AppData" and double click it.
  4. In the Value Data box, enter the path to where you want your data files stored.
  5. Press the 'OK' button then exit the registry.

To verify where your data is being stored, go to Help ⇾ About OSCAR and look on the right side, under the logo for the phrase, "Show data folder".  Select it to display the path to your data.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was easy able to do both of the steps that you suggested, and both times I checked the "Values Data Files" Window. Both times the data shown was correct, but OSCAR still will not open/show that file. I did not have to change anything in either option 1 or 2; all was correct.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at your read/write permissions for your data directory.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Please show the debug pane (Help/troubleshooting/show debug pane). When it fails to do what you want, select the entire debug pane with ctrl-A, copy with ctrl-C, and paste the copied debug messages into a post.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am having no luck today and I also have to worry about two storms in the Gulf (I live in Houston).

I check all the security settings and made sure everyone has full access. No change in OSCAR.

I cannot even find "help" at the moment so no debug pane.

A little late here and I am burned out fighting this problem all day. I would not be surprised at all that the virus did something last week that has not been corrected. One odd thing is that in the list of "users" on the "C" drive, my name has disappeared and everything seems to be running as "users". All sign on information is correct (my picture, passcode, etc), but for some reason I do not show up as a user. I think Window 10 hates me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR lost my profiles! jtardo 13 192 03-25-2024, 07:40 PM
Last Post: jtardo
  OSCAR Lost My Profile DNowakowski 3 614 12-09-2023, 01:34 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR Lost My Profile Poolboy 6 1,047 11-03-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Help, lost all my data newuser1002 3 686 05-14-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: newuser1002
  O2Ring "lost time" 4.5 hours, 2 weeks since previous lost time DavidEsp 5 653 04-28-2023, 03:29 AM
Last Post: DavidEsp
  New Router Lost FlashSD Connection gumleafau 2 485 03-28-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  lost random days of data from OSCAR cberistain 0 493 11-20-2022, 08:03 PM
Last Post: cberistain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.