Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR: numbers on event flags
OSCAR: numbers on event flags
Please advise what these numbers mean?  For instance, RERA (36)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR: numbers on event flags
RERA is respiratory effort–related arousal, which according to Medscape means an event of 10 or more seconds of increased breathing effort ending in an arousal that does not meet apnea or hypopnea criteria. 36 tells us that's how many you encountered.

Reference to Medscape article
https://www.medscape.com/answers/295807-...-apnea-osa
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry but I don't understand

This graph shows 5 bars (events?) and the numbers beside each when I hold the cursor on the bar say, 36, 42, 12, and 26 from left to right.

Edited to add: actually I was awake during this period
Post Reply Post Reply
Each bar on the graph represents one event. The numbers which pop up when you place the cursor on them are the duration. So your RERAs lasted 36 seconds, 42 seconds and so on.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK sorry, I was working with what was known. If you were awake then regardless of the flags, it's not applicable data because all xPAP machines are to treat events while asleep. Our breathing criteria varies drastically from what occurs while asleep as in while awake we're influencing it over most aspects and will be much more of a random pattern. The bottom line is that the awake segments should be disregarded when sleep events and aspects are considered. As DeepBreathing just mentioned, that was info I'd missed, the 36 etc. are the time values.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2019, 10:21 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Each bar on the graph represents one event. The numbers which pop up when you place the cursor on them are the duration. So your RERAs lasted 36 seconds, 42 seconds and so on.

Meaning I was not breathing for 36, or 42, seconds!  That does seem a long time and I thought over 30 seconds constituted an OA?   But perhaps it was time in which  I was trying to clear heavy congestion after waking up?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2019, 10:27 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: OK sorry, I was working with what was known. If you were awake then regardless of the flags, it's not applicable data because all xPAP machines are to treat events while asleep. Our breathing criteria varies drastically from what occurs while asleep as in while awake we're influencing it over most aspects and will be much more of a random pattern. The bottom line is that the awake segments should be disregarded when sleep events and aspects are considered. As DeepBreathing just mentioned, that was info I'd missed, the 36 etc. are the time values.

My apologies, I did not state clearly what I was on about.

And it was only when I went to try to post the graph (first time I have done this) that I realized I was awake at that time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2019, 10:52 AM)guiniviere Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 10:27 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: OK sorry, I was working with what was known. If you were awake then regardless of the flags, it's not applicable data because all xPAP machines are to treat events while asleep. Our breathing criteria varies drastically from what occurs while asleep as in while awake we're influencing it over most aspects and will be much more of a random pattern. The bottom line is that the awake segments should be disregarded when sleep events and aspects are considered. As DeepBreathing just mentioned, that was info I'd missed, the 36 etc. are the time values.

And it was only when I went to try to post the graph (first time I have done this) that I realized I was awake at that time.

A RERA is not a not breathing event but a respiratory related arrousal so the duration of the event has a different meaning, also it just a guess by the machine as it does not have any means of testing if you are asleep
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2019, 10:59 AM)jaswilliams Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 10:52 AM)guiniviere Wrote:

A RERA is not a not breathing event but a respiratory related arrousal so the duration of the event has a different meaning, also it just a guess by the machine as it does not have any means of testing if you are asleep

testing if you are asleep:  I have wondered about that because I am still in the compliance state so when I wake up and haven't got in the required 4 hours, I keep the mask on and read for an hour or so.  Then the statistics are calculated on that, say 5 hours.  But surely that is  a distortiion because it is calculating that these events occurred over 5 hours whereas in fact they occurred over only 4 hours?
Post Reply Post Reply
That's correct. The AHI is reached by adding the apneas (both obstructive and central) to the hypopneas then dividing by the time asleep.

As long as the machine detects breathing, it records the time it is on. If it is on and blowing to, say, dry out a hose, it won't record anything. It probably counts toward machine hours, though.

There's a lot of times I go to bed then lay there awake for an hour or more. If I realize it has been that long and finally feel myself drift off, I turn off the machine, wait at least 61 seconds, then turn it back on. When I view the data later, I just turn off that wake period and get a more accurate data set.

If you are unable to use it longer than 3 hrs, then sit up during the day with it on while you read, watch tv, whatever. This gets your body and brain used to the sensations of it all.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 122 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 356 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 332 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 607 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,021 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP sticks on higher pressure after Obstructive Apnea event AlanR 3 462 11-12-2023, 12:19 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.