Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR: numbers on event flags
RE: OSCAR: numbers on event flags
(10-29-2019, 05:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: That's correct. The AHI is reached by adding the apneas (both obstructive and central) to the hypopneas then dividing by the time asleep.

As long as the machine detects breathing, it records the time it is on. If it is on and blowing to, say, dry out a hose, it won't record anything. It probably counts toward machine hours, though.

There's a lot of times I go to bed then lay there awake for an hour or more. If I realize it has been that long and finally feel myself drift off, I turn off the machine, wait at least 61 seconds, then turn it back on. When I view the data later, I just turn off that wake period and get a more accurate data set.

If you are unable to use it longer than 3 hrs, then sit up during the day with it on while you read, watch tv, whatever. This gets your body and brain used to the sensations of it all.

Thank you for your response.  You confirm my thought:  time on is not necessarily time asleep.

Can actual sleep time be measured? 

It isn't that I can't tolerate the machine longer than 3 hours, it is my chronic insomnia that is the problem!
Post Reply Post Reply
in case it isn't obvious, the 4 hours doesn't have to be continuous. when I first started it generally took me 18 hours to get 8 hours sleep. now still fragmented but less so as sleep sessions have been getting longer & time between them getting shorter over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
If we're on the 4 hours for compliance, the 4 hours has to be any time between noon today and noon tomorrow as that's a "day" to the machine. During my compliance, I've had to break my time into segments and it shouldn't be a problem.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2019, 07:52 AM)guiniviere Wrote: Thank you for your response.  You confirm my thought:  time on is not necessarily time asleep.

Can actual sleep time be measured? 

It isn't that I can't tolerate the machine longer than 3 hours, it is my chronic insomnia that is the problem!

Yeah, that's my problem, too.

For me, if I don't remember to turn it off/on or I actually go to sleep (ha), I can tell what time I lay there awake. The pressure line is relatively flat compared to the rest of the night/day. It can have some slight increase but once I am actually asleep, the pressure jumps upward. I also tend to have "sleep junk" central events while laying there. Most likely just simply holding my breath while I roll over or something.

In the screenshot below, you can see not only does the pressure increase, but the flow limitation becomes active and the flow rate becomes...more bumpy? Jagged? Yeah, I'll go with that.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2019, 12:20 PM)sheepless Wrote: in case it isn't obvious, the 4 hours doesn't have to be continuous. when I first started it generally took me 18 hours to get 8 hours sleep. now still fragmented but less so as sleep sessions have been getting longer & time between them getting shorter over time.

Thank you for pointing that out.  Not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, I hadn't realized that, which is why I was keeping the mask on while I was awake and reading until I had got more than the 4 hours in...
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2019, 03:08 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: If we're on the 4 hours for compliance, the 4 hours has to be any time between noon today and noon tomorrow as that's a "day" to the machine. During my compliance, I've had to break my time into segments and it shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you for your explanation:  so, going on what sheepless has just said, I could take a nap in the afternoon using the machine for , say 2 hours, then  the hours in the night, say 3, would be added on, making 5 and therefore in compliance? 

How then would that look in OSCAR, I wonder? Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
It would show as two sets of graphs with a white gap in the middle.

But a note of caution only import into Oscar when you getup in the morning and don’t intend to sleep anymore do not import into Oscar after you afternoon nap otherwise your second nighttime session will not import without clearing the day first
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 06:06 AM)guiniviere Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 03:08 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: If we're on the 4 hours for compliance, the 4 hours has to be any time between noon today and noon tomorrow as that's a "day" to the machine. During my compliance, I've had to break my time into segments and it shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you for your explanation:  so, going on what sheepless has just said, I could take a nap in the afternoon using the machine for , say 2 hours, then  the hours in the night, say 3, would be added on, making 5 and therefore in compliance? 

How then would that look in OSCAR, I wonder? Thinking-about

I think that would be fine. See jaswilliams notes to see OSCAR charts accurately if you have multiple sleep sessions.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 115 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 394 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 352 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 329 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 603 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,016 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP sticks on higher pressure after Obstructive Apnea event AlanR 3 461 11-12-2023, 12:19 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.