Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR on Mint 18.3
OSCAR on Mint 18.3
First, MANY THANKS to Mark Watkins and the folks that are picking up this software after him.  I can say without question this software has made a huge difference to my PAP therapy.  The data presentation is so clear in Sleepyhead, I had no trouble in figuring out what is going on.  I am using SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1, running under Linux Mint 18.3.  I recently migrated from Windows 7 to Linux when my W7 laptop died.  I was very happy when the .deb package installed and operated correctly under 18.3.

I have attempted to install OSCAR, but there are dependencies that are not resolved.  Also, the Mint package manager indicated that OSCAR was a broken package, even though the install did not complete.  Is there a plan to provide .deb packages for earlier versions of Ubuntu than 18.04?

I have discovered what I believe to be a bug in Sleepyhead, probably in the importer.  I would like to try OSCAR, to see if the issue has survived or not, but need to get OSCAR installed first.

Thanks Again to all.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR on Mint 18.3
Somewhere around here I have a computer with Cinnamon on it. Couldn't tell you what version. Hopefully someone can provide an answer for you. You may have to try compiling it unless one of the lads has one already built.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
You could try the deb package for Debian. It requires an earlier version of QT (5.7 instead of 5.9), and most other packages have no version requirements.
Note that you must use 'sudo dpkg -i oscar-stuff.deb' -where stuff is the version of oscar package you want to install. The installation process uses $SUDO_USER which is set by the sudo command.
If you tell us which packages are missing, we may be able to identify substitutes for Mint.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
This has proven to work in the past. I hope it will help here.

I received the following listing when I used the command, sudo dpkg -i oscar... the full filename
  • gtkhash
  • libb2-1
  • libqt5opengl5
  • libqt5serialport5
Try coping the following command line. If your system has the file it will be ignored.
sudo apt-get install gtkhash libb2-1 libqt5opengl5 libqt5serialport5
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi All,
Thanks for the suggestions.  My IT life suddenly got busy , but I'll try these suggestions at first chance.
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Again,

I tried the suggested Debian pkg on a test 18.3 machine.  Unfortunately, the qt5 libraries that are preinstalled are version 5.5, not 5.7, so the install failed.  I looked for 5.7 versions in the repos and didn't find them, and don't know if they would break something or not.  I have a test VM that I will load w/ Mint 19, so the dependency issues should disappear.  However, I want to wait for Mint Cinnamon 19.2, which should appear later this month, if they keep their usual schedule.

Anyway, Thanks again.
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply
Gee, it's sort of bittersweet to find out there is a distribution slower to upgrade than Debian.

Good luck with Mint 19.2! I'm waiting on Buster, which should take Debian to QT 5.11.

Please let us know about Mint 19.2, especially which QT is used. I try to keep track of popular distributions.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi All,
Another update.  I decided not to wait for Mint 19.2 after all.  I brought up a VM under Virtualbox 6 and did a scratch load of Mint 19.1.  I checked the QT libraries, and they all seem to be 5.9.5 (see below):

Output of:  sudo dpkg -l | grep libqt5:
ii  libqt5core5a:amd64                         5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1                 amd64        Qt 5 core module
ii  libqt5dbus5:amd64                          5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1                 amd64        Qt 5 D-Bus module
ii  libqt5gui5:amd64                           5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1                 amd64        Qt 5 GUI module
ii  libqt5network5:amd64                       5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1                 amd64        Qt 5 network module
ii  libqt5svg5:amd64                           5.9.5-0ubuntu1                      amd64        Qt 5 SVG module
ii  libqt5widgets5:amd64                       5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1                 amd64        Qt 5 widgets module
ii  libqt5x11extras5:amd64                     5.9.5-0ubuntu1                      amd64        Qt 5 X11 extras

Unfortunately updates on 19.1 appear to be broken at the moment, so other than testing, it looks like I'll be waiting for 19.2 after all.  The major version of the QT packages should remain the same on 19.2.  When I can, I'll install the prereq packages and attempt an install of oscar.  I'll report the results when I have some.
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi All,
I have 2 successes to report.  After 2 rounds of prerequisite package installs,  OSCAR v1.0.1-r-1 installed on Mint 19.1 without errors.  In addition to the 4 packages mentioned above (in post #4), I also needed to run "sudo apt-get install libqt5xml5 libqt5printsupport5" to add these libraries.

The 2nd success lies in that I have imported all SD card data from this month to-date, carefully inspected the results, and have tentatively concluded that the event duplication errors I had observed in SH have probably not survived the transition to OSCAR - good news indeed!  I'll be happy to provide more details of the errors and how I observed them, if anyone wishes to know.  I will obviously continue to monitor to see if any similar errors appear, but no version of SH I've used could have imported a chunk of data like this without duplicating some events.
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply
Small update:
Mint 19.2 Beta is now released.  I have a test install up, and the libqt5 packages are all version 5.9.5 (as expected).  Not sure how long the beta will go before they move on to release.  This beta looks pretty clean so far.

A small suggestion:
I'm also using a backup tool called Borg Backup.  The Borg folks have packaged this as a statically-linked binary, so it has no dependencies.  You just mark it as executable and run it.  Don't have any idea if this approach is either possible or practical for Oscar, but the Borg tool showed me how nice it can be.
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to install OSCAR linux mint cpapmonk 9 955 01-03-2023, 02:25 AM
Last Post: untoutseul05
Exclaimation Mint 20.1 and OSCAR 1.2.0 becker44a 3 725 01-13-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: untoutseul05
  Oscar on Linux Mint rogerded1 5 1,110 08-02-2020, 06:49 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
Sad OSCAR - Linux Mint 19 [see post #7 for solution] Marcch 37 4,757 04-01-2020, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  SleepyHead and Linux Mint 17.3 (Ubuntu 14.04) necochino 4 1,952 08-21-2016, 07:16 PM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.