Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR quirks: by design?
RE: OSCAR quirks: by design?
further distracting from the OP, I'm afraid, but related to a topic in this thread. this is fyi, no need to reply.

to reinforce my prior requests that oscar please someday stop combining sessions, I'm posting this chart as an example that in this case reports a 5h32m session. this is really misleading. none of the 3 combined sessions were longer than just over 2 hours. if I'd had a rare 5 hour session, I'd be on top of the world today, but sadly quite the opposite.  

I can work around this because I'm aware of it and I can see where the mask offs occurred; but I don't understand what's gained by combining them. sleepyhead had options for combining or not combining. I often see it said that oscar only reports the data from the machine, but this looks like an arbitrary manipulation of the data to me.

a minor thing compared to how well oscar serves us overall, but I'd love to hear this issue is on the oscar team to-do list.

thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is not a matter of combining sessions as using a different definition of session.

If you could look at the STR.edf file, you would see two arrays of ten numbers. These represent the number of minutes after noon that mask on and off events occur. The mask on and corresponding mask off events mark the beginning and end of a session. This was adopted by SleepyHead in version 1.1, before OSCAR was started.

It is my intent to create a new marker to highlight the therapy breaks which are too short to create a Mask-off/-on pair which would create a new session. This would show up in the Flags graph much as large leaks show up. I'm not sure it will make it into the next release, but I'm working on it.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks. sorry to be a pita about this, but...

I don't understand (and don't really need to) what using a different definition of session means. I guess that's in the code. from my user point of view, a session is simply mask on to mask off.

if the machine records mask on and off times, or 10 of them at least, why not report them as such rather than combining close ones ('close' being confusing in itself since gaps between combined sessions appear to be variable up to somewhere around 3 minutes)?

hmmm. is the default to combine close sessions intended to allow the display of more than 10 sessions? I rarely go over 10 anymore but if so, can the choice to combine/not combine be included again in preferences?

sleepyhead versions prior to 1.1 had options for combining sessions. I never understood why these were removed since as far as I was concerned leaving it set to not combine worked fine.

my opinion: flagging the gaps is completely unnecessary because they're visible in the flow rate. it's the list of session times & the session duration graphic toward bottom of the left panel on the daily page that I'd like to see reflect the actual number of sessions and the actual durations regardless of how short the mask off time is. it's not all that hard but it's a pain to have to mentally do the clock math to determine actual session times from the combined time.

it's not that big a deal and I've lived with it since sh 1.1 but because I suffer fragmented sleep I'd prefer it to report accurately. plus as a rule, accuracy for the sake of accuracy has it's own value.

thanks for listening.
Post Reply Post Reply
an afterthought regarding accuracy. where max is actually not max in the details panel, could there be an asterisked footnote that explains that and/or becomes visible when hovering the cursor over the entry that isn't really max?
Post Reply Post Reply
@ sheepless

As a temporary solution, have you tried making sure your "mask off" is long enough to register as a separate session?

I think around 3 minutes or so and it should show up as a separate session.

Not sure of that helps for your particular situation, but I find if I shut down and restart in under a minute this shows as a split in the flow chart, but does not separate the sleep session in the bottom left corner.

Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2021, 07:32 PM)sheepless Wrote: an afterthought regarding accuracy. where max is actually not max in the details panel, could there be an asterisked footnote that explains that and/or becomes visible when hovering the cursor over the entry that isn't really max?

We plan to correct the labels in the next version of OSCAR.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
SevereApnea, the short answer is yes, but not always successfully. and I concur with your observations.

thanks GuySharf for letting us know the max labels will be corrected. I'll say it again: the oscar team deserves a medal!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DESIGN QUESTION srlevine1 3 562 07-06-2021, 06:13 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Are there some known "quirks" in the Sleepyhead Data? bluemom51 14 3,915 11-12-2015, 04:19 PM
Last Post: AlanE

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.