Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR quirks: by design?
OSCAR quirks: by design?
Hi all:

I am seeing 2 quirks in OSCAR and wonder if these are by design?

Q1. At the beginning of any session there is a delay of around 40 seconds before pressure reading displays in OSCAR, (but not in ResScan.)

I note that the Vt and MV and RR show up straight away.

I see this in all my data, with my original loan machine AutoSet, with Vauto, with For Her, with or without SD card extender.
[attachment=30365]

It's not a problem, of course: Just curious, as usual, my OCD is my excuse!

Q2. Secondly: I switched off the Vauto very briefly last night around 06:25:20 for around 49 seconds, to switch off the ceiling fan, I was up for less than a minute, this shows on the Flow Chart as interruption, but not in the session records. I have seen this happen before on other nights.

If this is by design I would like to know what the time duration is before this shows as a separate session in OSCAR. It would be useful to "mark" something at night (noise, a dream, position of sleeping, cough, sneeze whatever) without creating a new session.
[attachment=30366]

Thanks and happy weekend to all.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR quirks: by design?
I've seen both of these in my charts.

as I continue to have fragmented sleep, I'm still hoping a future oscar version quits combining sessions. it was an option in Sleepyhead.

it used to be thought that sessions with gaps of a minute or less would be combined but while I'm not sure about this it seems more variable than that and the interval may be upwards of 2 or 3 minutes. consequently I try to keep my mask off for at least a couple minutes. usually the reason for masking off takes enough time to avoid this but not always.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 40 second delay in the Pressure chart is inherited from SleepyHead. I noticed it in the import code, but there wasn;t any comment explaining why it was there. I surmise that it might be to avoid a false minimum; perhaps I should remove it and see what happens...

The short data breaks came in with SleepyHea v1.1; Sessions times are now set by the mask on/off times recorded in the STR file. I have it on my plate to creats a 'Therapy Break' span channel that will mark those short breaks. The break required to start a new session appears to be about 2 or 3 minutes - mask on and off times are recorded with one minute precision.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks pholynyk

1. I was wondering if the whole channel had been shifted to the right somehow, but the reason you give is to avoid recording false minimums seems to make more sense.

2. sessions gaps: good to know this may be up to 2 or 3 minutes. This means I can "mark" a moment at night by simply powering off and on within a minute or so for further analysis without affecting the Session Information bottom left.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
here's one from last night that combined sessions 1m26s apart.  it doesn't seem to based on one particular interval, more like a range?

it occurred to me that the 30-40 second lag between starting flow and the appearance of some waveforms might have something to do with it but when I looked more closely I saw the pressure graph is completely missing for more than 5 hours.  I purged and redownloaded the night's data and the pressure line is still missing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
@Sheepless - I'd like to look at your SD card to try to figure out what is going wrong with the pressure graph. Please zip up your SD card and upload it to Gideion's DropBox: https://www.dropbox.com/request/6VeFzBXa4qZ37EgphL5b

Thanks -
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
done.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just FYI rather than anything else:
[attachment=30441]

Last night I switched off my machine and after exactly 90 seconds on the stopwatch hit the ON button again.

This time it has recorded it as a separate session under Session Information.

So at least anything under 1 minute should be safe to "mark" a spot on the charts during the night, I think?
Actually a nice feature.

2. On Feb 4th and 5th I also had some missing parts of the pressure graph from my Vauto.

[attachment=30442]

(ResScan refuses to show any data under Pressure but only shows data under Pressure High Rate which to me looks like the Mask Pressure in OSCAR)

However, on both nights I switched between Vauto and CPAP mode half way during the night, so I suppose that has something to do with it?

PS. I feel a bit bad about the title of this thread.
I like both these features> feel free to change the title of the thread to something like OSCAR special features if you like! Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
Changing the mode in the middle of the night is guaranteed to confuse both OSCAR and ResScan. The STR.edf file only has one place to save the mode; I think it is saved at the beginning of the night. The STR.edf file does have separate places for the settings for each mode, so you don't have to set your pressures each time you change modes. I'm guessing - I haven't seen your SD card yet - that the machine recodes the varing pressures of VAuto mode in the PLD.edf file, but doesn't record the fixed pressures of CPAP mode in the PLD.edf file, hence no pressure graph. It would be interesting to see what happens if you start in CPAP mode and switch to VAuto later in the night.

I'll update here after I look at the SD card data.
Post Reply Post Reply
pholynyk, probably no matter but in case there's any confusion, you're responding to 2 different posters here. it's SevereApnea's thread. I. sheepless, am a commenting interloper adding the pressure graph problem. mode and oscar pressure line are unrelated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DESIGN QUESTION srlevine1 3 548 07-06-2021, 06:13 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Are there some known "quirks" in the Sleepyhead Data? bluemom51 14 3,893 11-12-2015, 04:19 PM
Last Post: AlanE

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.