Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Review and help with spouse's cpap settings
Review and help with spouse's cpap settings
Hi folks,
I already have a separate thread for myself, but am asking for suggestions for my wife and her data. Attached are 2 sample nights. I know her biggest issue is OA and it shows by the clusters, but I wasn't expecting all the CA events. From what I see, her pressure and EPAP settings are low and could use some tweaking. She spends a bunch of time near the upper limits.
She saw a sleep dr 2 mo ago, but he dismissed making any changes since her compliance and low AHI were good. He actually said she didn't need therapy (WTF?!)

Equip: Dreamstation2 + nasal pillows; PS= Min 7.0, Max 16.0 

Any suggestions?

TY, MHR
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Review and help with spouse's cpap settings
I used a Respironics machine for 7 years, and they are pretty slow to react to apneas.
You almost have to set the minimum pressure closer to the 95% number in order for the algorithm to be where it needs to be.

The clear airways aren't that many and will probably lessen as time goes on.  Concentrate on Obstructives, and set the minimum pressure to 9.  Change the Flex setting from 3 to 2.

Question:  Did she have a sleep study and did it show centrals?  

A see some clustering of apneas, but not too bad.  She may be tucking her chin to her chest and cutting of air,  some folk experience this if sleeping with a too tall pillow or on their back.  Something to be aware of.

If your wife can tolerate it, turn the ramp feature off or set it closer to the minimum...
Maybe set to 7 for 10-15 minutes.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Her study did not show very many centrals; but mainly obstructives. Her biggest problem is on exhalation.
She will change the ramp, but declined on the pressures & EPAP. She has nasal surgery next month, so she doesn't want to fudge anything for now.

TY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I looked at that chart and could only wish your wife was using a Resmed Autoset. With the Philips machines exhale is always the problem because Flex returns pressure before inspiration begins, which means pressure is increasing as exhale ends. Rather than follow respiration, the Philips leads, and the higher Flex at 3 is not helping. Set it to 2 and increase minimum pressure to get closer to the "zone".
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will pass on the info. Thx guys!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 223 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 52,985 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 259 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [CPAP] BiLevel Settings From CPAP fstbiker 17 932 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.